Laptop screen turns white at most angles

Hi guys

I am having a problem deducing the issue with a friend's laptop.

It's a Toshiba Equium U400, not sure the rest of the specs are relevant.

Basically the screen ONLY works if it is angled all the way back. And it works 100% perfectly fine in this position. However, if you try to angle the screen down (in a closing direction), the screen will immediately turn white. You can then tilt the screen backwards again and press FN+F5 (shortcut for alternate display) and it will flash back to life again.

I assume that it is a cable connection issue? And would rule out faulty LCD/inverter if it works at one angle?

I have tried researching this and have only found issues where the screen turns black, not white.

I don't have my screwdrivers with me and cannot open the screen yet to check connections. I am just curious if anyone knows if this behaviour is linked to motherboard, etc.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Josh

The LCD video cable is being pinched by one of the top hinges. It may be permanently damaged and will have to be replaced

Screen issues

For deffo you need to replace the LCD cable. Easy job. Youtube or ifixit usually have a disassembly or tear down guide. Then get another LCD cable off of eBay and youre good to go for next to no cost.

Back