Laptop Shutting itself down

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a challenger for the forums.

My laptop is randomly shutting itself off. It will power down with the sound that you get when you hold the power button for 6 seconds. It will sometimes make it into windows, most of the time, it only makes it just past boot. I can get into my bios settings, but everytime I boot up my laptop, I have the error saying CMOS is incorrect, and my computer time has been reset. To make matters worse, I know my power supply is fine, used it on other computers, my laptop doesn't stay on long enough to overheat, and all my fans are running. In order to reboot the computer after it shuts down, I need to disconnect all power sources and then reconnect one. I just want to know if my motherboard is screwed or there is an underlying issue that I might be missing.
There are no beeps at startup and from what I know, no lights flash any code during the time the laptop is on.

I know my power supply is fine, used it on other computers
Using a laptop power adapter on another computer is not advisable

I would start by checking the Ram cards and Hard Drive, by at least reseating them
There is also a CMOS battery holding your CMOS settings, but to get at it may require you to dismantle the laptop (anyway you mentioned c\o Mobo, so you must know how to do this)

There may also be a Bios update or some patch or something, you can contact most large manufactures and update drivers or software from THIS thread

You could also run Memtest on your Ram

Ty. I will try the CMOS battery. I know the harddrive is functioning, i linked it up to my desktop. The power supply i used was from a computer of the same model, my sister bought the same laptop. RAM i don't know about, i'll havta do that after i manage to get it running long enough to do a memtest

Computer

My laptop model is a gateway M520S. I have ran it in bios, and it'll run all day long, as long as i don't attempt to boot into windows.

not familiar with this laptop, but according to my expirience, laptop can shut down due to various reasons. do some tests like ram and cpu test. and, the most important: replace the CMOS battery. if date and time still reset after doing this procedure, i can only say, that there's trouble with southbridge.

Its an issue with opetating system..Get in to advance boot option and try to boot using disable automatic restart on system failure and check if there is any blue screen message..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back