Laptop turning off ~1min into boot up

I'm currently encountering an issue with a Sony Vaio SVT1313C5E, where upon startup my laptop fan will run at full speed, then around 1 minute into use will turn off without warning.

It doesn't appear to be an overheating issue, (HWMonitor capture attached within seconds of shutdown), I have however fully cleaned out the fan, and also tested it with the battery removed and running off the mains.

Nor does it appear to be a software issue, if I load up the boot menu and leave for a similar period of time, it will respond the same.

So far there has been no success, and any further help would be appreciated.

2.png
1.png

Please clarify: is it the fan which will turn off without warning? or the entire laptop?
Does Event Viewer give any 'critical errors'?

Found on tomshardware: "The next day I went to the hardware store and got new heatsink compound. Now this is my first compound change in 5 years! lol the thing was hard as a rock, so I used some tequila and a screw driver to clear off the top of the processor area for the new paste to sit there. Make sure you take the old compound off totally before putting the new one. After putting the new paste, started the laptop and everything is back to normal now.
Maximum load temperatures are around 90 degrees and idle is around 45-50 degrees C.

So if you're still facing that problem! Refresh your Heatsink Compound and clean those vents! and make sure you do that clean up once every 12 months at least."

Last edited:
Sounds like the complete Laptop which can be caused by a none working CPU Fan

Deep cleaning..

Do not use screwdriver/tequila to clean off old thermal paste. I use isopropyl alcohol, a soft plastic 'toothpick' and coffee filters.

If the fan has a no start fault no it would start to run up and shut down the moment it realised the fan was not working / connected / dead

Thanks for your replies. Allow me to enlighten further,

It is the laptop that is turning off without warning. There are no event logs that give a clue to the culprit. I have replaced the thermal paste and this has had no success.

I feel it must be somehow related to overheating, sunce allowing the laptop a few hours before booting up again gives it a few extra minutes of runtime beyond the previously typical result. However it will immediately turn the fan on full, and CPU temps don't seem to go beyond 45 degrees before turning off again.

So, to summarize:
- laptop starts normally, can enter a Windows user account normally, can load HWMonitor and make screenshot and save it
- on start fan runs full bore and continues running at full bore until system drops off a cliff with no warning, no error message, no sound, fan suddenly stops as well (you should be getting at least one critical error in Event Viewer telling you that it crashed and it is surprising you are not)
- if laptop is left in a very cool place for a long time the run time extends from 1 minute to several minutes

Yes, it seems to be a thermal problem.

The full bore operation of the fan from the moment the system starts is unexpected (did it always do that?)

You indicated that you have cleaned the fan and renewed the thermal paste on CPU and on GPU.
Did that change the operation in any way?

If that did not, then I begin to suspect a bad solder joint or a failing capacitor on the motherboard with the additional possibility that the heat sink retainer for GPU/CPU is not sound and/or snug.

Yes Cycloid that is pretty much the gist of it. Small ammendments though that may or may not be relevant: The fan ramps up to full bore within 5 seconds of startup. In event viewer I get the critical Kernal-power, there are no additional details provided in relation to this. It has integrated graphics so no gpu fan, general operation has been unchanged. The effects of whatever caused this though came about very quickly and noticably, via the fan making a very distressing noise now almost continually.

One choice you may undertake is to reopen the machine and tear down the cooling system (one wing of which should cool the GPU through an extended heat pipe). Re-seat every thing. Check board for bad solder joints (search Youtube for illustration). Confirm heat-sinks are properly snug (cracked plastic and/or cross threaded screw can disguise poor contact). See video above.

Did you fully remove fan from the fan shroud and clean out inside shroud? I missed that once on an HP laptop.

Back