Laptop turns off immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have an HP DV2715nr and when I turn it on, it turns right of, some times it stays on for 1 second or 3 or even 5, but it never goes to bios unless it turns on right so there's nothing i can do software wise until it works. The fan always turns on and the lights, and the light to the hard drive. It does the same thing without the hard drive and it never goes into bios. It will eventually turn on right and when it does, it runs fine and never turns off unexpectedly. The only error I get is when I run the resource and performance monitor: The devise, adfs, is reporting "tv_ConfigMgrErr24". This device will not be available until the issue is resolved. The Plug and Play Id for the devise is ROOT\LEGACY_ADFS\0000.

The last thing i remember doing when it was working correctly was deleting my XP partition from my Win7/XP dual boot.

Install a new drive using your HP System restore disk set.
You may be able to rescue some of the date by placing the drive in an external USB enclosure then dragging and dropping the critical data that was not in the partition you damaged.
If you don't need the data on the defective drive, and do not have a restore disk set, you can buy the restore disks from HP for $27 - $35, depending on number of disks, including FedEx shipping... or using a Windows XP Professional disk in R for Repair mode...
You might also be able to run Windows 7 disk in repair mode, although I have not tried that.

So you want me to delete everything and install again? Or run the repair windows feature on the disk? I have the windows 7 disk. Did i delete the partition wrong, I just went to manage computer and deleted the partition and used EasyBCD to delete the entry.

Anytime you delete a partition, you a looking for trouble. Once it is gone, there is no good way to repair it. Usually some sort of repair install is in order, and any data you wish to save is at risk. For most folks, creating a new system is easier than repairing the bad one.
Which was the first partition, and how was it setup? If Windws 7 was the first partition, you should be able to repair it using your Windows 7 disk.

Ok, the computer came with Vista. I don't know how I got rid of it. I think I dual booted with with Windows 7 to try it out, The I formated my drive and installed 7. Then I dual booted with XP because some programs didn't work well with 7. So in this case, 7 is my first partition. I have always kept a Shared partition so that whenever I install a new operating system, all my information is always on a different partition so everything is backed up.

So you created the partition using Windows 7 ?
And installed Windows XP using what install disk?

I had 2 partitions. one unallocated(used 7 to delete what was in the partitions), I think thats what its called, and my Shared partition that I always have. I installed Windows 7, then later, I used 7 to make a new partition and used the Windows XP CD. Then used EasyBCD to get to Windows 7 and add Windows XP to the boot manager.

We don't have a specific recommendation, for fixing the exact problem... but it seems to me you clearly have damage to your system from removing the partition, and what we previously suggested would be the fastest way to fix it without additional damage.
If you are skilled at patching and updating, you already know what to do with the remaining system you have.
I doubt there is a quick fix, unless re-installing Windows 7 after booting in Repair mode is acceptable to you. You will find more details with a search on the Microsoft sites.

I'm going to reinstall Windows 7 after I reformat the hard drive, I'll back everything up. Thanks for the help. Or I'll run the repair first, then if that doesn't work, I'll delete everything.

EDIT: Ok, I think I fixed it *Knocks on wood* . I ran the installation CD and opened the command prompt and did the Bootrec commands, and then i turned of my computer 2 times and they both turned on good :) Thanks for the help.

It was a false alarm, it only worked 3 times, now it's back to not turning on and I've tried it like 50 times already, I guess it's not a software problem since I can't get it to boot at all, I guess it's time for a new computer.

If its booting

There is a serious problem with the laptop and its not a software related,does it comes with the blue screen? if it is get the code and find the error code and search the device and the IRQ.

If its not

*Check all the input and output devices and ports if there is shorted pins.
*Re-Heat the chipset using air gun but make sure you wont damage some parts like capacitor and resistors.

Finally got it to turn on after a day. It doesnt boot. it just turns on and then off in seconds. Then i think its not a hardware problem because it works fine when it does boot right. Yeah, im not that tech savvy and have no clue what your talking about. im not letting it turn off or hibernate now. although ive been trying all day to turn it on and finally it does. the only difference this time was that i left it without battery and charger for like an hour it that means anything. Im going to back everything up and then format my hard drive and reinstall windows 7. if that doesn't fix the problem, then its obviously a hardware problem and ill probably buy a new computer if it cost too much to fix it.

Ok, I reinstalled windows 7 after formatting everything and it still doesn't turn on. It's a hardware problem now, Im going to take it to see if it can get repaired, If not, then I'm going to buy a new computer. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back