Laptop Wi-Fi good connection but not tower?

learninmypc

This is confusing to me. Anytime I've been on a laptop in my apt. I have no problem getting a good or very good signal on it, yet using the same Belkin USB device on my tower in the same exact place, low or less than good connection.
The router is on the first floor, I'm on the 2nd floor & a few walls are in between . Why?:confused:
I'm thinking of having the router moved, a booster used or relocationg the router.
I'm currently on DSL . Wi-fi is just an option.TIA:)

The router should be on the second floor above most of the equipment that it is actually connected to it for the best possible signal strength. I'd guess you're having a driver issue between the different computers, but you're probably gonna tell me that both computers are Windows 7 and have the same driver or something like that.

The router should be on the second floor above most of the equipment that is actually connected to it for the best possible signal strength. I'd guess you're having a driver issue between the different computers, but you're probably gonna tell me that both computers are Windows 7 and have the same driver or something like that.
Actually, the laptops have been W7 & Vista . My tower is XP Pro MCE. I will see if the router can be relocated.

I probably should of added I have the CD that came with it & installed it the same way on the Vista as I did on my HP Tower. On the W7 laptop's I've been on, I simply used the built in wi fi & still no problem. Am still :confused: but life in its self is confusing.

I have a couple of USB network adapters. Now the belkin one works great no matter were it is in the house, But the Cisco one does not. This is due to rating on them . This could very well be your problem. The laptops could have better wireless adapter. Then one you are using on the desktop.

I have a couple of USB network adapters. Now the belkin one works great no matter were it is in the house, But the Cisco one does not. This is due to rating on them . This could very well be your problem. The laptops could have better wireless adapter. Then one you are using on the desktop.
Thanks, I didn't know about that.:)

"This is due to rating on them", Where do I find the rating on my Belkin?:)

Look on the Belkin website. At the model you own it should tell you its signal strength. The more expensive models carry more signal strength. Some times just moveing your desktop to a different spot in the room helps

That is about the middle of the three I check, I have the F9L1101 model It just a little stronger. It picks up any ware in the house. Like I said sometimes just moving them helps. Is the desktop under a desk or on top?

Cobalt is absolutely right. You can have three laptops sitting on the same couch and have three different strengths connecting to the same WiFi WAP. Not all wireless adapters are equal and some have better reception than others.

Belkin's are generally pretty good, but it sounds like yours is not very well rated or has something wrong with it's antennae or receiver/transmitter. You might want to try a cheapie NetGear or similar to see if you have better results.

A different channel on your WiFI router might help too.. so if you're strapped for cash, try a different channel for grins (like 10 or 11 or other unusual channel) to see if that helps.. sometimes lesser quality WiFi devices have interference at some channels with other devices (like wireless phones, etc.)

That is about the middle of the three I check, I have the F9L1101 model It just a little stronger. It picks up any ware in the house. Like I said sometimes just moving them helps. Is the desktop under a desk or on top?
My tower is sitting on top of my desk. There is one floor & 3 or 4 walls to go thru to get to the router.
I'll ask the landlady to either move the router or get a repeater. Since I'm on DSL most of the time, this is not an urgent issue. I was just curious why the better reception on laptop & not my tower.
Thanks.

Cobalt is absolutely right. You can have three laptops sitting on the same couch and have three different strengths connecting to the same WiFi WAP. Not all wireless adapters are equal and some have better reception than others.

Belkin's are generally pretty good, but it sounds like yours is not very well rated or has something wrong with it's antennae or receiver/transmitter. You might want to try a cheapie NetGear or similar to see if you have better results.

A different channel on your WiFI router might help too.. so if you're strapped for cash, try a different channel for grins (like 10 or 11 or other unusual channel) to see if that helps.. sometimes lesser quality WiFi devices have interference at some channels with other devices (like wireless phones, etc.)
There are several "other" wireless devices in the building including microwaves so I thank you all for your input & will have a talk with my landlady, thanks.:)

My tower is sitting on top of my desk. There is one floor & 3 or 4 walls to go thru to get to the router.
I'll ask the landlady to either move the router or get a repeater. Since I'm on DSL most of the time, this is not an urgent issue. I was just curious why the better reception on laptop & not my tower.
Thanks.

You have a ways to get the signal . So if she willing to get a wireless extender that would be great. Good Luck:)

Well, it took me some time to locate this thread, but as crazy as it may sound, I think RAM has something to do with it.
I hooked the same Belkin USB device up to my new to me W7 that has 8gb's of ram & I get a very good signal (IMO) of 8045 kb.
Since I understand DSL is more reliable, I'll most likely return to it, but I had to find out & I'm happy. :)

Hi there I have a sort of a similar problem. I use a tp-link wr340g wifi router. I can connect to it with my nokia phone, laptop and have no problem at all there (it uses window 7). But when I want to connect to the same router from my pc using a wifi usb adapter it sort of connects, but its very slow (to the point it takes it several min to open google) and it frequently disconnects (evry few minutes) and cant find the network. although its well within range.(running window 7 on the pc as well and the usb adapter works I tried it with a diferent pc)
Thanks I advnce.

Hi there I have a sort of a similar problem. I use a tp-link wr340g wifi router. I can connect to it with my nokia phone, laptop and have no problem at all there (it uses window 7). But when I want to connect to the same router from my pc using a wifi usb adapter it sort of connects, but its very slow (to the point it takes it several min to open google) and it frequently disconnects (evry few minutes) and cant find the network. although its well within range.(running window 7 on the pc as well and the usb adapter works I tried it with a diferent pc)
Thanks I advnce.
Ok, since that is way over my head, I'd suggest you start a new thread so the helpers won't get confused . I wish you the best.:)

Back