Laptop wont load bios or OS

11mrtom

Laptop wont load bios or OS

Interesting issue here.
When I press the power button, the HD activity led light comes on for just a second, I feel the HD spinning up and running, the fan kicks in and runs, then nothing. No leds flahing, just power led, no beeps, no screen and no bios.
I'v discharged static build up (battery out, power button held down 30") and tried both mains & battery to no effect. There were no precursors to this issue.
So I can deduce the laptop is unable to complete POST in pre bios, despite the lack of beeps yet can supply power to fan & HD.
Now the GPU is GForce 8400m GS, aware of the issues with the 8xxx series, I'v kept the air flow clean and use a laptop cooler. Possible suspect though it never ran hot and all worked fine till I turned on a couple of days ago. Now I understood that a failure of the 8xxx series usually presented a degraded screen, lines etc rather than failing post.
I'm backed up and use my second laptop so nothing urgent, just a oportunity to learn.
I am interested in hearing from hardware geeks and their thoughts.

As I dont consider it worth $$ repairing and I have a dissasembly PDF, I'm considering another method:
A guide to GPU BGA Reflow

Can you recomend the correct forum on this site as I proceed with this strategy!5401 GPU defect.jpg reflow temp .png

Ah, so my looking at a possible GPU issue is in error ? Issue as per symptoms described occurs prior to GPU detection in POST. Sorry about going on about this, just grasping for clarity with a lack of knowledge!!

Last edited:
I doubt very much it was your video chip. Or the board may have beeped on startup. I would say the bios or the board has went bad.

Back