Last Words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick_M

Im about to build a PC for myself and its the 1st time I have done so. I have aided in the building of several but not on my own.

Heres a list of components:

Intel P4 2.4 (HT)
Abit A17 Mobo
Seagate Barracuda 80gb SATA
SB Live 5.1
Geforce 4 Ti4200
512 (333)DDR
Windows Xp Pro
Samsung DVD-ROM

All of which are going into a Chieftec Dragon ATX case.

So any tips or helpfull advice before I start. The only thing that worries me is the SATA drive.
Ive herd about how hard they are to set up, and that they have problems being configured on XP systems.

Have you had a look at this thread ?
It should pretty much address any questions you might have, as well as possibly reminding you of little things you might have forgotten or not known you needed.

Take your time. If something doesn't seem to be working, or happening properly, then slow down, or take a break, and have another lookie later. Most of the problems with a new build tend to be improperly seating components (i.e. you didn't snap the RAM in just snug enough, etc.) Remain calm and keep working on it until its right, but do take a break if you find you are hitting a brick wall.

Do I have to put the SATA drivers on a floppy, to load win Xp, and if so does anyone know where to get them.

If you needed to do that then the floppy would come with your mobo/SATA controller.

...and Im spent

It took me 5 hours of blood, sweat but mostly tears but I built it.

Ran ito a massive amount of problems, including,
*CPU cooler stuck 2 my old mobo
*RAM taking all of my strength to click them in
*Masses of cables, and me not knowing what the hell they were for.
*Spending 2 hours wondering why my DVD-ROM drive wasn't being detected so I could boot from it, turns out the IDE cable had fell out:blush: .
*Windows Xp not likeing my SATA HD and crashing 5 times with various errors.
*Finally get Xp running, and connect to the internet only for some virus hacking my connection and turning my comp of at randowm. Fixed with a windows service pack:grinthumb .

Done.

Thanks for all your advice people:D .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back