Nick_M

Ok My specs are as follows:

P4 2.4 (HT enabled)
1gb of DDR(PC3200)
ATI 128mb Radeon 9800 pro
Abit A17 mobo
Seagete Barracuda 80GB SATA
Windows Xp pro

This system has been unchanged for around 1 and a half years now and its starting to chugg a bit when playing the latest games.

Can anyone tell what really needs upgrading, I was told by someone that the CPU is bottlenecking the performance, so I'm tempted to buy a 3.2Ghz Prescott.

Will that give me a noticable perfromance change? and is it worth doing?

Thx in advance.

It will definately help, but before u do that, have u defragged your system recently? Also cheching for viruses, trojans, spyware, and adware will help to improve system performance.

You shouldn't be chugging too bad with that system. Our specs are similar (but I have gone the Athlon path, and you have chosen the dark side of the force).

When I get all chuggy, I reinstall windows (once a year). And make sure I have all the latest drivers. Kills 99% of all chugging problems. Except of course..... the Guiness chugging... there is still a problem there. :rolleyes:

What games are you having troubles with, and what settings are you trying? If you are trying Doom3 at full settings... yes you will chug and chug heavy. I run at mid-high-ish settings (closer to the mid side) and get decent frame rates.

GTA: San Andreas is the most recent example, and really any game that has a lot going on the screen at the same time.

So when the action gets hot in games such as GTA:SA it starts stuttering and lagging.

Ive just done a reinstall so i highly recommend it too. Wonder if guiness will work in my cooling kit? hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back