Latest Acer Predator monitor packs 30" ultrawide with 200Hz refresh rate and eye tracking

Scorpus

Staff member

Acer has launched a new high-end ultrawide monitor that caters to those who prefer high refresh rates above everything else. The Predator Z301CT is a 30-inch display with an 1800R curve and a modest resolution of 2560 x 1080, but the star of the show here is a refresh rate that can go as high as 200 Hz with 4ms response times.

To achieve such a high refresh rate, Acer has used VA LCD technology, so you won't be getting the same qualities as a top-end IPS LCD. However, this panel does have rated contrast of 3,000:1 and 178/178-degree viewing angles, plus it supports 16.7 million (8-bit) colors and 100% sRGB coverage. Brightness is rated at 300 nits.

As this is monitor is branded 'Predator', there are a number of gamer-friendly features, including Tobii eye tracking and G-Sync. Eye tracking is a particularly interesting feature that seems to be increasing in popularity, especially in some high-end gaming laptops, and the number of games that support the technology is increasing at a reasonable pace.

The Z301CT comes with HDMI 1.4 and DisplayPort 1.2a inputs as well as a USB 3.0 hub. The stand supports both height, swivel and tilt adjustments. Interested gamers will be able to purchase this display in February for $899.

Alongside the Z301CT, Acer has bolstered their Predator line with the XB252Q and XB272, 24.5- and 27-inch variants of a 1080p TN LCD with a maximum refresh of 240 Hz. Both panels support Nvidia's G-Sync and Ultra Low Motion Blur technologies, and both sport 1,000:1 contrast ratios and 400 nits of brightness. Acer does claim these panels achieve 100% sRGB reproduction, although viewing angles of 170/170-degrees aren't great.

Prices and release dates for the XB252Q and the XB272 are unknown at this stage, although with G-Sync and high refresh rates, they should slot in towards the top of the 1080p display market.

Permalink to story.

LoL $900 for a monitor.

Its the only ultrawide monitor that have 200hz refresh rate, if you ever played on an ultrawide with high refresh rate, it does differ a lot.

I bought the Acer Predator 34" ultrawide gaming monitor for 1300$, I used an LG ultra wide monitor and there is a huge difference in gaming quality when I switched.

I find Tobii's tech to be better suited to Windows Hello login on a desktop. Game devs still are not really sure what to do with eye tracking. Just because it has eye tracking doesn't mean it adds anything to the game play.

The price is fine, but 1080p vertical on a 30 incher? the pixels must be HUGE and coupled with no-IPS panel IQ will be garbage.

A monitor is, in PC terms, a relatively stable investment. It is a 30" ultrawide too so 1080 vertical has to be taken in perspective. 200Hz, 4ms and greater than 1080p res is what you are paying for. What kind of video is needed to drive such a display to test that 200Hz?

LoL $900 for a monitor.
That's kinda surprising from you. You spend how much on graphics cards that are obsolete before they ship?

So I guess 144Hz just isn't fast enough anymore, according to someone's marketing department... and all I have to do is put up with a washed-out 1080p VA panel, with game settings at low-med to get 200 fps? I suppose this will interest online players where every ms counts, but I wouldn't even touch this thing with YOUR graphics card.

I think I'll continue to suffer with my 120Hz, 1440p display with a gorgeous Samsung PLS (IPS) panel, because I'm one of those weirdos who insists that my monitor actually looks good.

So I guess 144Hz just isn't fast enough anymore, according to someone's marketing department... and all I have to do is put up with a washed-out 1080p VA panel, with game settings at low-med to get 200 fps? I suppose this will interest online players where every ms counts, but I wouldn't even touch this thing with YOUR graphics card.

I think I'll continue to suffer with my 120Hz, 1440p display with a gorgeous Samsung PLS (IPS) panel, because I'm one of those weirdos who insists that my monitor actually looks good.

You man, have no clue. If anything, IPS has the washed out colors, crappy contrast and no blacks, whereas VA panels look far better (maybe not so correct colors if color and print work is your profession, take IPS, but... yeah... just for watching movies/shows, VA is the way to go. That is until OLED is actually available with sane price... as OLED is the king).
http://www.tnpanel.com/tn-vs-ips-va/
http://www.144hzmonitors.com/knowledge-base/panel-type-tn-vs-va-vs-ips-vs-oled/

and I'm one of those weirdos, that doesn't care much how my monitor looks (as far as it has black bezels)... I just insist that the picture quality it shows to be perfect.

A monitor is, in PC terms, a relatively stable investment. It is a 30" ultrawide too so 1080 vertical has to be taken in perspective. 200Hz, 4ms and greater than 1080p res is what you are paying for. What kind of video is needed to drive such a display to test that 200Hz?

Unless you buy Dell IPS display... they die because of bad capacitors in 2-3 years. :D

About your video question, the new Vega 10 will do... in Doom. Also I suspect Titan X might come close. Pretty much any GPU that can do 4K @ ~66.6666Hz. (2560*1080*200)/(3840*2160)=X

Last edited:
You man, have no clue. If anything, IPS has the washed out colors, crappy contrast and no blacks, whereas VA panels look far better (maybe not so correct colors if color and print work is your profession, take IPS, but... yeah... just for watching movies/shows, VA is the way to go. That is until OLED is actually available with sane price... as OLED is the king).
http://www.tnpanel.com/tn-vs-ips-va/
http://www.144hzmonitors.com/knowledge-base/panel-type-tn-vs-va-vs-ips-vs-oled/

and I'm one of those weirdos, that doesn't care much how my monitor looks (as far as it has black bezels)... I just insist that the picture quality it shows to be perfect.

Unless you buy Dell IPS display... they die because of bad capacitors in 2-3 years. :D

About your video question, the new Vega 10 will do... in Doom. Also I suspect Titan X might come close. Pretty much any GPU that can do 4K @ ~66.6666Hz. (2560*1080*200)/(3840*2160)=X
Anyone here order a troll? Read your own links- which totally contradict you- and then come back. Actually... don't.

Anyone here order a troll? Read your own links- which totally contradict you- and then come back. Actually... don't.

What a sad loser :D Instant troll accusations when someone attacks your idols. Seems you didn't read my links. Let me copy paste the relevant parts I was referring to:
IPS : The downside used to be a difficulty to emphasize blacks, which in turn meant problems with the contrast.
MVA panels offer good viewing angles and generally better blacks and contrast than either TN or IPS panels.
VA : Monitors using a VA panel have the one advantage that they will have better color quality than TN panels, usually very deep black levels due to the very high contrast ratio that these panels boast.
IPS : The disadvantage of an IPS panel is that there is a white glow when viewing dark content on the display. This is also known as IPS glow and is perfectly normal for IPS panels to have.

Or did you disagree that OLED is the king of panel types?

Last edited:
Back