1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Latest Windows 10 update is causing issues with gaming performance and mice

By onetheycallEric ยท 23 replies
Mar 9, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. The most recent Windows 10 cumulative update, version 1809 KB4482887, is reportedly tanking performance in certain titles and causing adverse mouse effects. So, if following the February update rollout, you've noticed your mouse or games are misbehaving, it's likely nothing to do with your system but the operating system.

In the release notes, Microsoft acknowledges the issue as known and notes users may see graphics and mouse performance degradation in games like Destiny 2. However, while the impact appears to be game specific rather than global, Destiny 2 is not the only title suffering. According to users on reddit, older games like Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 are also pained by the update.

Supposedly, other affected titles include the newly popular Apex Legends and Sea of Thieves.

Ironically, KB4482887 also enabled the "retpoline" Spectre mitigation on certain devices. Although that's unlikely the culprit and has to be enabled manually. KB4482887 also comes with many other quality of life improvements for Windows 10, and since no major non-gaming issues have been reported, users that do not play games may have nothing to worry about.

Microsoft has said it's working on a fix to be rolled out in a future update, and its official guidance is to uninstall KB4482887 and wait for further resolution.

Permalink to story.

2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 3,493   +1,295

Is there a reason the comment section is disabled on the "Rape Day" game story? Or is it just a bug?

Edit: Never got a response, Anyone else find it Ironic that Techspot has done an Article about a Game that's right on the limits of Free Speech but then silence the Comment section?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    rrwards and m4a4 like this.
  3. noel24

noel24 TS Evangelist Posts: 515   +447

Another day, another story of Windows 10 failing its users. I remember Win 7 had its fair share of bugs but it didn't last like 4 years before M$ sorted them out. Windows 10 is just a lazy money-grab to get Your personal data and no amount of shills and trolls will change that: everything that big corpos advertise recently as a "service" turn out to be a disaster. "800 million installs and highest customer satisfaction" is obviously the lie that serious publications should put only in quotation mark.
    If anything, 7 should be continued as a service, but of course They would have problem with squizing money from users, cause obviously data mining is so deep integrated into 10.

BSim500, Zorak, DaveBG and 4 others like this.
  4. Dimitrios

Dimitrios TS Guru Posts: 464   +346

Jesus Christ.

5. Misagt

Misagt TS Maniac Posts: 286   +204

This is why I hate win10 I had to upgrade cause my old system died. Every time I update it always breaks something. This sort of thing makes a person want to start using linux

6. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,962   +1,229

LOL, windows 10...the joke that keeps on giving!

DaveBG, Dimitrios, loki1944 and 4 others like this.
  7. 144hzGamer

144hzGamer TS Addict Posts: 214   +132

Windows 7:

- lowest DPC latency
    - best 1:1 mouse translation
    - less default accel
    - best for audio production in real time
    - better ram/resources allocation

Windows 10:

- laggy
    - awful mouse input
    - DX12/microsoft exclusives
    - works with modules (awful)
    - updates have high chance of causing problems
    - constant internet connections, specially when you neee stable internet

Easy decision. Windows 7 is objectively superior for anyone serious about online gaming or music production/playback.

BSim500, DaveBG, Dimitrios and 3 others like this.
  8. EClyde

EClyde TS Evangelist Posts: 1,830   +675

Well...A software glitch? Unheard of ! Looking forward to those self driving semi's.

onestepforward likes this.
  9. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 3,989   +3,476

Unfortunately some games won't even run on windows 7 and many don't test for the platform anymore. Just about everyone liked windows 7 better but people are more or less forced into windows 10

DAOWAce and rrwards like this.
  10. texasrattler

texasrattler TS Evangelist Posts: 712   +284

No issue here. Been playing Apex since release. my mouse or keyboard work as should.

ive never had a performance/connection problem that was caused by win 10. all my issues were by my provider.

11. paul s2

paul s2 TS Member Posts: 20

This seem to be a constant problem sense October 2018 a release of bugs and then more bugs.
    loosing faith fast.

onestepforward likes this.
  12. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 2,540   +918

I'm just here to say my Win10 experience has been great since day one.

13. m4a4

m4a4 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,457   +1,033

Pretty much the same here too.
    The only problem that I noticed before was that something in explorer would break (for notifications). But since a recent update, that's fixed lol

14. loki1944

loki1944 TS Addict Posts: 151   +89

So glad that I went back to W7.

DaveBG likes this.
  15. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,962   +1,229

I've been playing around with Linux Mint on a VM. So far, looks pretty good.

16. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,962   +577

Their patch model is literally now to beta test on users who manually update I.e. press the check for updates button. I'm not just saying that - that was confirmed by "Michael Fortin, Corporate Vice President, Windows".
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...rs-are-testing-unstable-updates/#4fd202e24f6f

Their update model is steaming poop. Their enterprise suitability is down the toilet. They tell you to go on one of the stable patch branches like the LTSB but ENTERPRISE products like Visual Studio 2017 DON'T support the LTSB branch! Talk about disaster. Headless chooks.

arrowflash likes this.
  17. DaveBG

DaveBG TS Maniac Posts: 411   +154

Windows 10 has not stolen the crown of the WORST windows os to date! Congratulations!

18. Zorak

Zorak TS Rookie Posts: 18   +6

Zorak wants to know what games. Curious...

Darth Shiv likes this.
  19. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 3,989   +3,476

Any game that requires DX 12, any windows store game, and select older titles that rely on features removed since windows 7. I have problems with DirectPlay based games on windows 10. The text isn't rendered correctly.

Zorak and 144hzGamer like this.
  20. 144hzGamer

144hzGamer TS Addict Posts: 214   +132

True, like I said,mainly microsoft exclusives. But I still prefer to accept it and stick to windows 7

21. arrowflash

arrowflash TS Enthusiast Posts: 36   +22

I think everyone is avoiding mentioning the elephant in the room - Satya Nadella and the H1B crew are destroying what's left of Windows, and show no signs of giving up. Nadella is heading a company filled with incompetent managers, designers and engineers, and it's showing in all recent developments.

Microsoft is just lucky that desktop Linux is an even worse mess than Windows 10 ever was (though mostly in completely different ways), otherwise a significant part of the corporate / enterprise userbase would have already jumped ship.

Darth Shiv likes this.
  22. dogofwars

dogofwars TS Addict Posts: 179   +72

I am sure they did not want to open that Pandora box. Especially in the era of the Metoo.

23. Dimitrios

Dimitrios TS Guru Posts: 464   +346

I said something about Diversity and H1B that caused the big failure of JUST CAUSE 4 and I got banned quickly on their game forum. I'm quickly learning any software failing is due usually from what I stated.

24. DAOWAce

DAOWAce TS Booster Posts: 292   +42

This is part of the reason I'm still on v1703.. and had a large leeway time before installing updates on W7 (and almost ending updates entirely when they shifted to the giant package format, removing the ability to not install a specific update for whatever reason)

These blunders better have gotten them to wake up.. it's sickening at this point.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...