Latest Windows 10 update is causing issues with gaming performance and mice

onetheycallEric

Staff
In brief: Microsoft's latest cumulative update, KB4482887 (OS Build 17763.348), was supposed to bring many mainstream, quality of life improvements to Windows 10, including limited support on certain devices for the new retpoline patch that helps with Spectre mitigation performance. Instead, users are reporting performance issues with games and with mice. Microsoft has acknowledged this and is working on a solution.

The most recent Windows 10 cumulative update, version 1809 KB4482887, is reportedly tanking performance in certain titles and causing adverse mouse effects. So, if following the February update rollout, you've noticed your mouse or games are misbehaving, it's likely nothing to do with your system but the operating system.

In the release notes, Microsoft acknowledges the issue as known and notes users may see graphics and mouse performance degradation in games like Destiny 2. However, while the impact appears to be game specific rather than global, Destiny 2 is not the only title suffering. According to users on reddit, older games like Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 are also pained by the update.

Supposedly, other affected titles include the newly popular Apex Legends and Sea of Thieves.

Ironically, KB4482887 also enabled the "retpoline" Spectre mitigation on certain devices. Although that's unlikely the culprit and has to be enabled manually. KB4482887 also comes with many other quality of life improvements for Windows 10, and since no major non-gaming issues have been reported, users that do not play games may have nothing to worry about.

Microsoft has said it's working on a fix to be rolled out in a future update, and its official guidance is to uninstall KB4482887 and wait for further resolution.

Permalink to story.

Is there a reason the comment section is disabled on the "Rape Day" game story? Or is it just a bug?

Edit: Never got a response, Anyone else find it Ironic that Techspot has done an Article about a Game that's right on the limits of Free Speech but then silence the Comment section?

Last edited:
Another day, another story of Windows 10 failing its users. I remember Win 7 had its fair share of bugs but it didn't last like 4 years before M$ sorted them out. Windows 10 is just a lazy money-grab to get Your personal data and no amount of shills and trolls will change that: everything that big corpos advertise recently as a "service" turn out to be a disaster. "800 million installs and highest customer satisfaction" is obviously the lie that serious publications should put only in quotation mark.
If anything, 7 should be continued as a service, but of course They would have problem with squizing money from users, cause obviously data mining is so deep integrated into 10.

Windows 7:

- lowest DPC latency
- best 1:1 mouse translation
- less default accel
- best for audio production in real time
- better ram/resources allocation

Windows 10:

- laggy
- awful mouse input
- DX12/microsoft exclusives
- works with modules (awful)
- updates have high chance of causing problems
- constant internet connections, specially when you neee stable internet

Easy decision. Windows 7 is objectively superior for anyone serious about online gaming or music production/playback.

Windows 7:

- lowest DPC latency
- less default accel

Windows 10:

- laggy
- awful mouse input

Easy decision. Windows 7 is objectively superior for anyone serious about online gaming or music production/playback.

Unfortunately some games won't even run on windows 7 and many don't test for the platform anymore. Just about everyone liked windows 7 better but people are more or less forced into windows 10

This is why I hate win10 I had to upgrade cause my old system died. Every time I update it always breaks something. This sort of thing makes a person want to start using linux
Their patch model is literally now to beta test on users who manually update I.e. press the check for updates button. I'm not just saying that - that was confirmed by "Michael Fortin, Corporate Vice President, Windows".
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...rs-are-testing-unstable-updates/#4fd202e24f6f

Their update model is steaming poop. Their enterprise suitability is down the toilet. They tell you to go on one of the stable patch branches like the LTSB but ENTERPRISE products like Visual Studio 2017 DON'T support the LTSB branch! Talk about disaster. Headless chooks.

Windows 7:

- lowest DPC latency
- less default accel

Windows 10:

- laggy
- awful mouse input

Unfortunately some games won't even run on windows 7 and many don't test for the platform anymore. Just about everyone liked windows 7 better but people are more or less forced into windows 10

Zorak wants to know what games. Curious...

Any game that requires DX 12, any windows store game, and select older titles that rely on features removed since windows 7. I have problems with DirectPlay based games on windows 10. The text isn't rendered correctly.

True, like I said,mainly microsoft exclusives. But I still prefer to accept it and stick to windows 7

This is why I hate win10 I had to upgrade cause my old system died. Every time I update it always breaks something. This sort of thing makes a person want to start using linux
Their patch model is literally now to beta test on users who manually update I.e. press the check for updates button. I'm not just saying that - that was confirmed by "Michael Fortin, Corporate Vice President, Windows".
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...rs-are-testing-unstable-updates/#4fd202e24f6f

Their update model is steaming poop. Their enterprise suitability is down the toilet. They tell you to go on one of the stable patch branches like the LTSB but ENTERPRISE products like Visual Studio 2017 DON'T support the LTSB branch! Talk about disaster. Headless chooks.

I think everyone is avoiding mentioning the elephant in the room - Satya Nadella and the H1B crew are destroying what's left of Windows, and show no signs of giving up. Nadella is heading a company filled with incompetent managers, designers and engineers, and it's showing in all recent developments.

Microsoft is just lucky that desktop Linux is an even worse mess than Windows 10 ever was (though mostly in completely different ways), otherwise a significant part of the corporate / enterprise userbase would have already jumped ship.

Is there a reason the comment section is disabled on the "Rape Day" game story? Or is it just a bug?

Edit: Never got a response, Anyone else find it Ironic that Techspot has done an Article about a Game that's right on the limits of Free Speech but then silence the Comment section?

I am sure they did not want to open that Pandora box. Especially in the era of the Metoo.

I think everyone is avoiding mentioning the elephant in the room - Satya Nadella and the H1B crew are destroying what's left of Windows, and show no signs of giving up. Nadella is heading a company filled with incompetent managers, designers and engineers, and it's showing in all recent developments.

Microsoft is just lucky that desktop Linux is an even worse mess than Windows 10 ever was (though mostly in completely different ways), otherwise a significant part of the corporate / enterprise userbase would have already jumped ship.

I said something about Diversity and H1B that caused the big failure of JUST CAUSE 4 and I got banned quickly on their game forum. I'm quickly learning any software failing is due usually from what I stated.

This is part of the reason I'm still on v1703.. and had a large leeway time before installing updates on W7 (and almost ending updates entirely when they shifted to the giant package format, removing the ability to not install a specific update for whatever reason)

These blunders better have gotten them to wake up.. it's sickening at this point.

Back