LCD TV too big for graphics card

I have a Radeon HD 6870 in my PC and had it hooked up to a 41" LCD tv with no problems. I recently bought a 55" screen tv, but when I use it as a computer screen there is a black border around the screen (1" top and bottom and 1 3/4" on the sides). Does anyone know of a way to fix this? I have the card set to it's max resolution (1920 x 10??). Would buying a second and crossfiring work? Or maybe I need to get a more powerful card? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check your resolution settings in Windows, should be set the same as the native resolution of the TV (i.e. 1920x1080). Also check the settings on your TV, they usually have many different screen modes (4:3, 16:9, zoom, etc.)

A larger screen TV doesn't mean you need a more powerful graphics card, it's the resolution that matters and your current graphics card is fine.

It's an overscan issue - open up the Catalyst Control Center and under "My Digital Flat-Panel" goto "Scaling Options". Adjust the scaling to fill your screen. Do this after you've made sure you're set to the native resolution as slh mentioned.

The TV mode is going to be more important here than what the video card is set at. You need to make sure the TV is set to "dot by dot" (different manufactures call it different things) but your card is outputting the right resolution, and the TV can handle it, the tv is just not set in the right mode.

Back