TechSpot giveaway: Win a DJI Spark drone & a Star Wars BB-8 droid

Leaked Capacitors

By Crissyfox ยท 22 replies
Oct 8, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. So my MOBO has 2 cap's that leaked most of their electrolyte, and 2 that are bulged. They are for my rear audio ports, and nothing else really seems to be broken on it. if I replaced them what are the chances that will fix the ports?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  2. Jollyriffic

Jollyriffic TS Member Posts: 55   +23

Unless theres something else causing the issues, 100%

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 10,709   +859

"cap's that leaked most of their electrolyte" -- these are usually associated with POWER, not ports.

4. Jollyriffic

Caps are used to keep from having a power spike and give fluid power.
    if a usb port is shorted or the cap isn't letting power flow, then the usb port will not power the device and/or could trip the protection circuit.

5. jobeard

@Jollyriffic I've been building shortwave radio since '60s :) The problem is the MF values and the circuitry - - what they are connected to.

6. Crissyfox

Crissyfox TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 69   +22

I believe they are the power caps for the amp(s) for the ports.

7. ErikNZ

ErikNZ TS Rookie Posts: 23

If you thoroughly remove the leaked electrolyte with isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush and replace all leaking and bulging capacitors, I think you should be fine. Just make sure that all the leaked electrolyte is removed as you otherwise may end up shorting across several PCB traces cause problems elsewhere. While electrolyte is corrosive, I haven't actually seen it eating away older PCBs, even with some of my very old breadbox C64s that started having this problem.

8. Crissyfox

I cleaned off the tops of teh caps, but it was dried like a rock. I am certain they popped before I got the computer, the computer was sitting in storage for a while.

9. ErikNZ

ErikNZ TS Rookie Posts: 23

Did they burst at the top or the bottom? cleaning off the busted caps isn't going to do anything for you I'm afraid. You'll have to un-solder (is that a word?) the damaged caps from the motherboard, including the bulging ones. Then take your isopropyl alcohol and properly scrub the affected area, make sure to also check the underside of the main board. Once its clean, check very carefully for corrosion signs, if there are none you should be pretty good. Solder on the new caps and keep you fingers crossed. (My soldering skills aren't the greatest so superstition quickly becomes a factor.)

10. jobeard

USB provides 5.0 v @ 500ma to every device. If these are USB related, then
    1. there will be ONE for every USB slot on the system
    2. the caps should be at least 7.5 V, 10 MF; better design would be 10v

11. Jollyriffic

You don't need a cap per, the supply voltage could be done with a single cap to all ports or they could be split.
    at least that's how I've done mine

12. Crissyfox

its desolder, and they popped at the top where theres a pressure release groove cut into the top. the computer hasnt been used in a couple of months and the electrolyte solution was dry and crusty, so I cleaned it off with rubbing alcohol, I just didnt have the time then to replace them I'll look up the numbers and order a couple of new caps off the fleabay.

13. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 9,303   +3,356

lol - I like it - wish they had used that name instead.

14. MaikuTech

MaikuTech TS Booster Posts: 160   +17

Make sure the capacitors are the right ones for your mobo and of good quality.
    Last thing you want is to come one day and find the mobo dead.
    Call the manufacturer of your mobo and ask them which ones you will need and how to insert them.

15. Crissyfox

I was gonna get some good high quality Japanese caps, and the ratings are on the caps themselves.

16. MaikuTech

Show me the link and give me your mobo specs, only reason why I am asking you this.
    I don't want to see you get upset if the caps bulge out and the acid leak damages the mobo circuits.

17. Crissyfox

dont have any links yet, mobo is 122-ck-nf68 680i sli

18. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 9,303   +3,356

As long as you get quality components of the same specifications, the product they go in is of no importance.

19. MaikuTech

O_o can I sway you in the direction of a newer mobo and cpu ?
    Anyway jokes aside for the moment, use rubycon or good solid capacitors.
    https://www.digikey.com/products/en...,fff40002,fff80009&ColumnSort=-1000011&page=1
    Please listen to me and read what ty_ger has to say here, I don't know how messed the capacitors are.
    https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-nForce-680i-SLI-capacitors-m2463033.aspx
    This picture is from neowin if your capacitors did something like this in your computer.
    https://cdn.neow.in/forum/uploads/monthly_08_2012/post-37120-0-88687100-1346451202.jpg
    https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1102467-bad-capacitors-how-to-spot-them/
    Replace them all to make sure the mobo will bootup no probs, or make plans and a buy a new mobo/cpu.

20. Crissyfox

I would if I wasnt literally pennyless, and up to my earballs in debt.

also thx for the link's when I have a spare couple of bucks I'll order some replacements.

21. bazz2004

bazz2004 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,580   +248

To replace the capacitors you need to source exact replacements, own a suitable soldering iron as well as having a reasonable level of proficiency. Apart from the capacitors that have failed there may be others on the board of the same type that will fail shortly after a successful repair. That's what happened to me when I replaced a couple of blown motherboard capacitors. I'd forget a DIY job.

MaikuTech likes this.
  22. MaikuTech

No problem chrissy but yeah I agree with what bazz has to say.
    If you can solder thats great news for you,Otherwise find a good friend who will do it.
    Hope the local computer store will do it for you at no charge depending on the person.

23. Crissyfox

I might or might not fix it, it seems the only thing that's absolutely broken is the rear audio jacks.