Leaked images suggest this year's Call of Duty will return to its World War II roots

midian182

Staff member

There’s evidence that the next Call of Duty game will return to the World War II setting seen in the first three titles and 2008’s World at War.

Images from this Imgur page showing promotional artwork and Steelbook concept covers for “Call of Duty: WWII” have been shared online over the last few days. It includes a link to a YouTube video by TheFamilyVideoGamers, who says he was emailed the pictures by someone called “Anon Nymous.” Skip to around the 2:20 mark in the vid (below) to see the reveal.

While this could all be an elaborate hoax, Activision has been talking about taking the series “back to its roots.” During an investor call this year, COO Thomas Tippl said that “traditional combat” would be a key feature of this year’s entry. CEO Eric Hirshberg believes 2016’s Infinite Warfare had “underperformed” as the space setting failed to resonate with fans.

In 2014, Activision announced it was switching from a two to three studio rotation development cycle for the CoD games. This year it’s the turn of Sledgehammer Games, which last worked on 2014’s Advanced Warfare.

During a 2014 interview with Metro, Sledgehammer co-founder Michael Condrey hinted he’d like to return the series to WWII and talked about his fascination with the era.

“I think a next generation game with the latest production values and robustness in a World War II setting like Band of Brothers would be amazing,” he said.

While the images could be fakes, last year’s Call of Duty’s titles – Infinite Warfare and Modern Warfare Remastered – were first revealed in leaks. Activision usually announces CoD names in late April or early May before releasing the games in November, so we’ll find out if the series is moving from the future to the past in a few weeks’ time.

Permalink to story.

I have no doubts in my mind it will be ruined by microtransactions and dlc costs, and I dont think anyone else does either

COD has its share of problems, but microtransactions isn't one of them. Albeit, I've not played a COD game since Black Ops 3.

Activision (2016): Space. That's where we need to go.
Dice (2016): Let's do WWI. Nobody is doing WWI.
Activision (2017): We need to roll back the clock and do WWII again.
Dice (2017): https://19818-presscdn-pagely.netdn...s/73f/c2/caf3d0dbcdf9822a39dd65a60cb0971f.jpg

Why do people think, that Activision decided the CoD 2017 theme after BF1? CoD 2017 development started right after Advanced Warfare shipped, or at least after the DLC's shipped (the last was Reckoning in '15 august).

And this "going back to roots" thing isn't new and also this: https://charlieintel.com/2015/06/23...ng-to-world-war-ii-era-is-certainly-possible/

BO3 was a turd.

I fully concur. Only reason I played it was because it came in a bundle. Sat in the factory wrapper for 3 months before it went in the PlayStation.

DLC code that came with it is still unused.

If they go back to COD2 style of play, count me in. COD was ruined by too much complexity, they need to use KISS to extract any relevant change.

Seriously? I was certain it was going to be "COD in Space" next year. They are so obsessed with future I didn't think they gave a crap about what gamers want any more.

I would like to see that. What I suggest is that 20% of everyone that plays can't win. I think Iwo Jima would be a good place as would Peleliu.

What I hope they don't do is funnel you. Games that funnel in the tunnel are BS. Make it big and make it bold.

I think keeping your buddy alive at night would be good.

Let's have some Kamikaze action. How would you like to be on the Big E at an Oerlikon? I would.

But whatever they do it'll be fake and crapola.

Back