Leaked photos show upcoming Amazon gamepad

Shawn Knight

Staff member

leaked amazon android bluetooth gamepad set-top box gaming controller

Leaked images of what appears to be an Amazon game controller hit the web a day ahead of the weekend. The photos come courtesy of Dave Zatz and are said to be from Brazil’s equivalent of the FCC so they’re probably legit.

The bulky looking controller features a pretty typical layout up front: four action buttons on the right labeled A/B/X/Y, two offset analog sticks, a directional pad and four buttons in the center. Along the bottom edge of the controller are media control buttons and up top are the usual bumper / triggers. It also looks like there are some LED indicators on the face of the gamepad – six to be exact. The controller is powered by two AA batteries tucked away in a battery compartment on the rear.

The buttons in the center of the controller are Android buttons. That likely means the console will be powered by Android. But what exactly will the controller be used for?

There are a couple of possibilities here. First, Amazon may market the controller for use with its Amazon GameCircle service for the Kindle Fire. It’s plausible but not nearly as attractive as say, a dedicated Android gaming console. Or maybe, given the media keys and all, Amazon is planning for its upcoming set-top box to double as a gaming machine.

The latter seems to make the most sense but we will have to wait and see what comes of it.

Permalink to story.

Doesn't look great.

Looks kind of retro....but that big and bland retro that looks awful.

Beside it looking like a brick... the media button's are in the worst possible place. I hope those are not overriding buttons... as in I hope they do not stop a game if accidently pressed.

Hmm looks a lot like the OnLive controller for there dedicated streaming box. Honestly this would be what could make there set-top box unique from all the others, a set top media box that can double as a game console if needed, at only 1/4 the cost of a PS4 or Xbone. They bought like 5 game developers in the last year or two so they could provide content for the box not to mention all the android games they have on there market. With a lot of those offering some kind of controller support a lot of the time. That gives them the unique feature needed to stick out in the set top ocean of devices out there.

They bought like 5 game developers in the last year or two so they could provide content for the box not to mention all the android games they have on there market. With a lot of those offering some kind of controller support a lot of the time. That gives them the unique feature needed to stick out in the set top ocean of devices out there.

You are so right, it looks like the onLive without the chamfered edges, and functionally. Think they have a deal with the online guys, or own a stake in their company now. Wow, I was only aware of the latest ownership over Double Helix... can you link me to any other articles. I like to keep on the up and up, and these went under the radar. I Wikipedia's it but it isn't updated :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Amazon.com_acquisitions

Looks as chunky as the original xbox controller and that only worked for peeps with giants hands

Back