Leaked: This is the new Galaxy Note 7, but are two versions incoming?

midian182

Staff member

As is always the case when a major new smartphone is about to be revealed, the rumor mill is going into overdrive. With Samsung’s next Galaxy Note device almost upon us, we’re now getting new and sometimes contradicting leaks every week.

It seems almost certain that the next Galaxy Note won’t be called the Note 6 – something you would expect as the last handset in the range was the Note 5. Instead, Samsung wants to bring the name in line with its current flagship S series – the S7 – skipping the Note 6 entirely.

A number of reports claim that we’ve got less than a month to wait before the Note 7 is officially unveiled. Samsung is expected to show it off for the first time at an Unpacked event on August 2. The Note 5 and S6 Edge Plus were revealed at a similar event on August 13 last year.

The most recent rumor involves the Note 7’s screen size. It had been expected to ship with either a 5.7-inch or 5.8-inch display, but a listing on Indian import-export site Zauba suggests it will come with a 6-inch screen.

Samsung has a major R&D department located in Bangalore, India, which is where the phone is heading. While it doesn’t specifically state that it is the Note 7, the model number – SM-N930R4 – has previously been reported as the handset’s internal code. More evidence that this is the upcoming phablet is the fact that it follows the Note 5’s N920 model number.

The 6-inch screen contradicts the recent information to come from Evan Blass. The prolific and reliable leaker recently released a set of Note 7 renders and said the handset's dual curved edge screen will measure 5.7 inches.

Assuming Blass is correct, and he usually is, this means that the Zauba listing may be a variant of the Note 7 base model that comes with a larger screen. This theory does make sense as many people buy Notes for their bigger displays, and a 5.7-inch screen is only 0.2 inches larger than the S7 display.

It could also be that the Zauba listing is a prototype, but, as pointed out by International Business Times, it is incredibly unlikely that Samsung would be testing the main model so close to its official unveiling.

Other than the screen size, other leaks claim the Note 7 will feature a QHD Super AMOLED display, 64GB storage, microSD support, USB Type-C, a 12-megapixel rear camera along with a five-megapixel front-facing version, 6GB of RAM, a Snapdragon 820 or 823 SoC, and iris-scanning technology. It will also be resistant to both dust and water and come in three colors: Black Onyx, Silver Titanium, and Blue Coral.

Image and Tweet credit: Evan Blass

Permalink to story.

Could samsung be planning on a phone that lasts for 3 days on 1 charge and heavy use. nope, bc the ppl want bigger screens with higher resolution, so they can see the battery die in great quality.

...and again, I want to give Samsung my money, but they just don't seem to want it. Oh well - I guess I'll be holding on to my Note 4 for a while longer.

...and again, I want to give Samsung my money, but they just don't seem to want it. Oh well - I guess I'll be holding on to my Note 4 for a while longer.
if you can live without the pen, I would recommend the s7. I switched from note 5 to s7.

USBc, microSD and 6GB RAM, why would you hang on to a dated note4? I am so ready to get rid of mine!

Back