Lenovo prepping MacBook Air competitor, IdeaPad U260

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Say what you will about Apple's policies and prices, but the Cupertino-based system builder is currently unmatched in the ultraportable segment. Its new MacBook Air manages to squeeze decent hardware into a body that weighs as little as 2.3lbs and measures 0.11-0.68 inches thick. While no Windows-based machine currently offers such a compact design, Lenovo plans to give it a shot.

The 12.5-inch IdeaPad U260 measures only 0.71 inches thick and weighs 3.04lbs with an anti-glare display, an Intel Core i3 or i5 processor and integrated graphics, 4GB of RAM, and a 320GB hard drive. Connectivity is limited to the essentials: two USB 2.0 ports, Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1, and VGA/HDMI outputs. A four-cell battery is said to offer about four hours of runtime.

Pricing is unknown but ThinkPads.com speculates that the U260 will hover around the $1,000+ range, given the magnesium-aluminum alloy chassis and the Intel Core ix processor. By comparison, the 13.3-inch MacBook Air starts at $1,299 with a 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of RAM, a GeForce 320M, and 128GB of flash storage. It's also rated for five hours of battery life and has an SD card slot.

Permalink to story.

That can definitely compete, but the air has better graphics and better battery life

With both intel and AMD working new CPU's (APU's) for the mobile sector i'm not sure how well this kind of product will sell. Maybe they will sell a few for x-mas.

If i have to choose one i will give Lenovo a try first because of their good product life and durability.

The thing with Macs is that it's no longer just a Mac because it has that feminine appeal, it's a Mac because it is a Mac.

Even if Lenovo creates a laptop that's half the thickness of Air, non techie folks are still going for Macs due to being fanboys (or girls).

People usually buy Apple products because of the Apple logo...but I´d still take rather this Lenovo, I think the quality will be much better here

I've always been a big fan of thinkpads and I was very upset when IBM sold the devision to Lenovo. I must admin though, that Lenovo has done a really good job at keeping the quality up. This looks like it will be a very good competitor to the Air. I like the port options better too!

PLEASE SOMEONE say that you are going to do better than apple at something and ACTUALLY DO IT!!!!!!!!! so far everyone that has tried to best apple and their products gets a major fail because it just sucks, they try to add so many things and take away things that will save them money instead of thinking about the customer and that is not the way to do business

0.11-0.68 inches thick, they probably mean thickless...hahahahaha
Looks so fragile like it's gonna brake just by touching it.
Nonetheless I'll buy the Lenovo IdeaPad U260 for sure. They always provide good quality merchandise with long battery life.

Whatever happened to the roller cage or is thinkpad tired of coming out with it anymore?
Quite a radical change from what I know of Lenovo.

its a good option if your a few hundred bucks short of a macbook air. personally i like it. but imo nothing beats the appeal of the macbook. i just looks so much better exterior-wise. the specs are good but i hope they used an SSD ang put in a better battery. being portable isnt really useful if you can only use it for a very short while.

Back