Lenovo Thinkpad X120e temperatures

vChRiSv

Hey everyone,

I've been considering getting a Lenovo Thinkapd X120e to replace my old laptop. Need a lightweight laptop with good battery life for my classes. After looking over a couple reviews, I noted a sizable difference in what was reported for the laptop's temperatures. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the X120e getting "too hot"?

FYI: I won't be stressing the laptop much, mostly note-taking using Word or PowerPoint. Also some web surfing, video watching, or very light gaming if the class is particularly dull.

Specs: Planning on upgrading to the 1.6 GHz E-350, 320 GB 7200 rpm HDD, 4 GB of DDR3-1333, and 6-cell battery. Laptop comes with Windows 7 Pro, and I plan to add Ubuntu to it.

Any comments would be great, thanks!

Excellent choice in a Netbook especially with what you want to do; your upgrades are right on. I personally don't have one (but am leaning towards purchasing one in early 2012) but I am also a member of Notebookreview.com (NBR) and there are many people there who own this system. Check out the Lenovo forum at NBR.

Also, check out TechSpot's own reviews of laptops/netbooks. We give it high marks as well and after doing my own research I have found Lenovo has the best build with the E-350.

Yeah, I checked out the review from NBR. Was mostly deciding between a X120e or a HP DM1. The review that threw me off was from laptopmag.com, where they said the temperature was reaching up to, and over, 100 degrees Fahrenheit on certain parts of the laptop. Also someone posted the same thing in the discussion for the X120e on NBR.

Keep in mind that forums such as NBR and here as well as others are people posting who are experiencing issues/problems. The norm is people post looking for solutions and much less so with people praising a system unless they are part of the discussion. Not everyone has heat problems with the X120e. And every system make and model I know will have some that have heat issues, etc.

My adise is to join NBR and ask specifically about X120e heat issues and your concerns. Make sure you tell them you are researching but want to get feedback etc.

Please keep us updated.

Bought my laptop today, so I'll tell you how it goes. One initial problem I've noted is... on the keyboard, the most bottom-left button is Fn, not Ctrl. Definitely abnormal and will take some getting used to.

Bought my laptop today, so I'll tell you how it goes. One initial problem I've noted is... on the keyboard, the most bottom-left button is Fn, not Ctrl. Definitely abnormal and will take some getting used to.

Hey, look forward to reading your user experience. I totally forgot about the keys but if I am not mistaking Lenovo has an option for you to set the keys as you desire. I'm not sure so look it up.

Oh seriously? That's pretty cool, but it makes sense. Would be stupid if they didn't let people customize the keys. I'll definitely look into that, because this Ctrl thing is already bugging me. XD It's messing up my Ctrl-tabbing.

By the way, everything I've read from actual owners is that it is a well built netbook. What are your initial thoughts on this?

Yup, very well built. Good feel to the netbook. Keyboard is nice, good screen, I still need to check the temperatures. Not sure what program I should use, only one I know that can check temperature is SpeedFan.

Back