LG 32GP850 Review: The Monitor LG Didn't Want Us to Review

Sounds like LG's management doesn't have a real plan and can't decide if they want to be in the monitor market or not. They make better than average equipment; really hard to understand their reluctance to give it a 110% effort ..... I've got two LG monitors that are great ... wish they would keep it up.

Over the last few years, I have tried and returned a number of both 27" and 32" LG monitors. Every single one has either had a fatal flaw straight out of the box (usually very poor image quality and/or dead pixels) or has totally failed within a few days. I simply do not even look at/consider LG when looking for a new monitor. My personal choices are BenQ and Dell monitors

Sorry other than OLED TV panels, LG are one of the last companies I'd buy a monitor from, full stop.
Bought an LG monitor for my wife to use during recent work from home activities. When I was setting it up, it tipped over and hit my 12 year old Asus monitor. Asus was fine, LG had the panel crack.

Looking for a 32" monitor now and considering anything other than LG. Not again.

It looks like LG has plans to stop LCD TV production - so perhaps they are no longer investing in LCD development in general. https://www.oled-info.com/lg-display-plans-ship-over-6-million-oled-tv-panels-2020-says-first-poled

Maybe I can upgrade to their oled ultrawide in the future. I've been using LG monitors all my life and very satisfied.

Bought an LG monitor for my wife to use during recent work from home activities. When I was setting it up, it tipped over and hit my 12 year old Asus monitor. Asus was fine, LG had the panel crack.

Looking for a 32" monitor now and considering anything other than LG. Not again.

To be fair, monitors are not made to withstand abuse. It's just a matter of luck. Or learn to be extremely careful when handling monitors. Cracked monitors are mostly caused by users error in handling, not manufacturer's fault.

Last edited:
Maybe I can upgrade to their oled ultrawide in the future. I've been using LG monitors all my life and very satisfied.

To be fair, monitors are not made to withstand abuse. It's just a matter of luck. Or learn to be extremely careful when handling monitors. Cracked monitors are mostly caused by users error in handling, not manufacturer's fault.
I agree.

It was an accident, but the overall movement was the top moving about 10cm from upright and no force other than being bumped and the base not keeping it up. So not very far and that was enough to render it destroyed.

During a move, one of my Asus ended up with on it's back with a box of clothes falling onto it and other than a 1mm chip in the outer screen, it is still working fine 6 years later.

Sorry other than OLED TV panels, LG are one of the last companies I'd buy a monitor from, full stop.

I owned and worked with LG TV's and monitors (all lcd) and the image quality (colors) is very artificial, as the contrast is one of the worst I saw. I owned or worked with several other brands (Philips, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, etc) with lcd and for me only the ones without LG technology were good.

To sum: LG (since the days they were re-branded from Goldstar, building cd and DVD drives which were cheap and prone to problems) for me is a cheap (quality- wise) brand and even the GREAT image quality oled screens are prone to burn-in, be it after 2 years, be it after 4 years. I am used to have a TV for at least 10 years with the same image quality.

So LG ist not a brand for me. I own several Samsung products and they never failed to me, image quality as on day one and even the Smartphones are on a good shape after a lot of use and some falls (with case), with minimal burn in oled after 4 years (different use case versus oled TV's which are a lot of hours day turned on continuously). I recently bought an IPS 28" 4K 60 Hz monitor from Samsung and it is excellent (despite contrast not as good as their TV's), also no dead pixels :)

In 32" monitors, I really like my Benq PD3200U. It has the best color/picture quality of any monitor in it's price range. I purchased mine from Amazon Warehouse...with new/updated firmware.. couldn't tell it from brand new.... and saved $150 in the process. I also have a curved Dell S3221QS, also purchased from Amazon Warehouse... same, like new and works perfectly. Once you use a curved monitor for a while (the Dell is curved) its very difficult to use a flat panel.

I have been waiting for an OLED monitor for a long time. When they finally get to the market, I will be looking at buying one. They are on the way, and there are a few on the market, but they are generally too expensive for my tastes. It's hard to say when they will be affordable.

I think 1440p is slightly bad on 32 inch. I wish we would see 29-30 inch with high refresh 1440p panels. Until then I'm staying at 1440p 27" 165 Hz IPS with option for outputting to my 65 inch OLED in games that work well with a controller.

I owned and worked with LG TV's and monitors (all lcd) and the image quality (colors) is very artificial, as the contrast is one of the worst I saw. I owned or worked with several other brands (Philips, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, etc) with lcd and for me only the ones without LG technology were good.

To sum: LG (since the days they were re-branded from Goldstar, building cd and DVD drives which were cheap and prone to problems) for me is a cheap (quality- wise) brand and even the GREAT image quality oled screens are prone to burn-in, be it after 2 years, be it after 4 years. I am used to have a TV for at least 10 years with the same image quality.

So LG ist not a brand for me. I own several Samsung products and they never failed to me, image quality as on day one and even the Smartphones are on a good shape after a lot of use and some falls (with case), with minimal burn in oled after 4 years (different use case versus oled TV's which are a lot of hours day turned on continuously). I recently bought an IPS 28" 4K 60 Hz monitor from Samsung and it is excellent (despite contrast not as good as their TV's), also no dead pixels :)

Haha, I have seen tons of Samsung failures while I worked at a tech company that recieved RMA's

We recieved literally 80% Samsung devices and we took ALL BRANDS.
Most died within 3 years (alot of the devices died between 2 and 3 years old, right after warrenty...)

Google this; "Samsung planned obsolescence" and you will see tons of threads/posts about issues with Samsung.
Nothing new. They have been caught several times using cheap parts in their devices. Parts that will give out after a few years. Bad power delivery, cheap MOSFETs etc.

Btw. Samsung buys LG OLED panels for their 2022 OLED TV's haha

All top OLED TV's uses LG Display OLED panels.

Tons of PC monitors uses IPS / Nano IPS panels from LG Display too.

Back