LG announces 5.5-inch, 2560 x 1440 smartphone display

Scorpus

Staff member

LG Display has today announced the world's first Quad HD 2560 x 1440 smartphone display, an impressively dense 538ppi, 5.5-inch AH-IPS LCD panel. The screen is also the slimmest going around, according to LG's press release, at 1.21mm thick with a bezel of just 1.2mm, beating previous records set by the LG G2's 1080p display.

Overall, the panel has four times the pixels of a 720p display (hence the Quad HD name), packing a whopping 3.7 million into a relatively small space. A Low Temperature Poly-Silicon (LTPS) substrate has also been implemented, helping to make the display brighter than previous panels at 430 nits, and thanks to improved transmittance, the display should be easily readable outdoors.

At this stage, LG haven't announced when this LCD panel will be seen in consumer products, although it's suited perfectly for either next-year's flagship LG device, or an Optimus G Pro phablet successor.

It will be interesting to see how this 538ppi display compares to the current batch of 1080p displays, which are already over 400ppi at sizes below 5.5-inches. More processing power will be required to render at this level of detail, so any phones that do choose to use such a high-resolution display will also need to have the CPU and GPU grunt to cope, which could, in turn, have a negative effect on battery life.

Permalink to story.

It's cool I guess, but honestly, I've seen pc displays at this res and can barely tell the difference from my own 1680 * 1050 monitor. On a mobile device it seems even more pointless.

This display would be perfect for the Oculus Rift, when the screen is only a few inches from your eyes pixel density is super important.

Only thing this display will do is jack up the prices of smartphones having it. There's no point making them cause there is no difference. Even 1080p is too much imo.

Only thing this display will do is jack up the prices of smartphones having it. There's no point making them cause there is no difference. Even 1080p is too much imo.

1080p at least has the benefit of being a standard resolution that is used in many places. That helps app developers. I agree though that it's overkill on a 5inch phone. Who knows though... maybe 2560x1440 will be the standard in 5 years, although I doubt it.

It reminds me of the camera megapixel race. More megapixels was always used as the measure of a 'better' camera and manufacturers kept putting cameras in phones with more and more megapixels.

At least with a high megapixel camera, you can crop and zoom in on a picture. How many people have vision good enough to tell the difference between a 400 and 500 PPI screen? Seems kinda silly to have to make an appt with the optometrist to get the most out of your phone.

C'mon man this is getting ridiculous now. Next thing we'll be seeing are Crossfire or SLI connectors on these things and the sad part is that some people will convince themselves they need it.

Will somebody please engineer this into a board with HDMI in (I believe as pictured) and USB or MHL and engineer a driver set for *nix and windows so I can mount this thing in my dashboard?

Human vision can only recognize differencies up to 300-330 ppi. Anything more than that is pointless and probably extremely battery hungry.

It's cool I guess, but honestly, I've seen pc displays at this res and can barely tell the difference from my own 1680 * 1050 monitor. On a mobile device it seems even more pointless.

you saw no difference between 1680x1050 vs 2560 x 1440 ?

I do agree on a 5.5 inch display its a very high res and not sure how useful it will be.

But on a monitor it should be noticeable.

Time to get better eyes my friend :p

It's impressive, but so utterly useless. After 1920x1080, on a screen that small, you're just going to get diminishing returns: higher power consuption, and lower performance for no perceived visual benefit.

Very few people would benefit from this. And besides, all phone OS's scale the GUI anyway. So all you end up with is really really fine text. A mobile phone doesnt need nearly that much display resolution. I think 1920x1080 is about the max that can be practical. I would really like a 7" tablet with Windows 8 at 1920x1080, but I'm a power user who can actually utilize it. Most people will see no benefit other than "ooohhhh, it's shiny, I WANT I WANT!"

Cool, now when I connect via splashtop to my 2560x1440 pc I won't have to change resolution. :)

Even 1080p is too much imo.

Yeah, in your opinion.

How many people have vision good enough to tell the difference between a 400 and 500 PPI screen?
Plenty of people, see below.

Human vision can only recognize differencies up to 300-330 ppi.
Wrong. Lines on a diagonal (read: not aligned with the pixels) are very easy to spot.

It's impressive, but so utterly useless.
Not useless. Until we reach the point where your eyeball glued to the screen can't tell the difference between any line orientation or gradient, we have to keep going.

Very few people would benefit from this. And besides, all phone OS's scale the GUI anyway. So all you end up with is really really fine text.
Exactly. We need displays that look like paper, like real life.

That's the thing, you won't be able to see it.
See above - diagonals are easy to spot.

tl;dr: people don't realise what aliasing is, and that it actually happens on current-gen screens.

You know what, the VGA in a phone can't produce or refresh anywhere near the resolution of the display. Accordingly, the VGA will provide the same pixel information across several pixels.
So, all the while you stand there bragging about the display resolution of your new phone, you're really just a hapless victim of advertising bull s***.

Did you really think the VGA in a phone could provide separate pixel information to a display 2500 x 1600 @60Hz refresh?

Even lowly 1080p @23" display size, (about 96ppi) is good enough to point out deficiencies in some of the best digital photography. So, why do you need 300DPI?

Wrong. Lines on a diagonal (read: not aligned with the pixels) are very easy to spot.

tl;dr: people don't realise what aliasing is, and that it actually happens on current-gen screens.
Your avatar at a 3 ft distance on my 92 PPI monitor, looks mighty round to me. Aliasing or no aliasing, I don't care as long as it appears near perfect. That would equate to 280 PPI at 12 inches, which is my focus zone for anything. If aliasing can be used on 300 PPI for near perfect images at 12 inches to begin with, why resort to higher resolutions? A 9 inch focus zone would still equate less than 370 PPI with my eye sight. My eyesight may not be the greatest, but I have not been forced to start wearing glasses yet either.

Now if you can honestly tell me the higher resolutions will not decrease battery life, I wouldn't really care either way. As long as I am fighting for longer battery life, I would protest the implementation of anything that would use more power and not completely necessary.

Oculus Rift *nerd* (y) yes pls, sold on that...
and probably gone buy the updated ones that comes later whit better screens and features... like this.

LG phone?, no way not happening. (again)
They don't do software updates, and when\if they do it's a trainwreck.
LG should just do a clean google droid smarty and stay away from the OS.

Not useless. Until we reach the point where your eyeball glued to the screen can't tell the difference between any line orientation or gradient, we have to keep going.
Sorry, but screen you described is not necessery at all. Nobody has use for it. If we can see clearly whats on the screen, and we can't tell the difference between 300ppi and 400ppi, why should we then continue improving it? Who is gonna glue his eyeball to the screen just to check if that screen is better than the one he has? Don't even wanna talk about batteries...

If we can see clearly whats on the screen, and we can't tell the difference between 300ppi and 400ppi, why should we then continue improving it?
Well, then I guess 300ppi is the point at which we should stop? Since 'we' can't tell the difference? The only problem with this is: people can indeed see the difference between 300ppi and 400ppi.

[FONT=Arial]Now if you can honestly tell me the higher resolutions will not decrease battery life, [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]I can't :D that would be a lie. Still no reason to not make a display. No one said that they have to be coupled to poor-performing batteries in mobiles, but it's nice to have the tech available for the future. E.g. the Gorilla Glass story.[/FONT]

Well, then I guess 300ppi is the point at which we should stop? Since 'we' can't tell the difference? The only problem with this is: people can indeed see the difference between 300ppi and 400ppi.
And the difference between 300ppi and 400ppi is so big it hurts our eyes looking at that 300ppi screen. Must get 400.

Back