LG ditches Optimus branding with flagship G2 smartphone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The leak-stricken LG G2 smartphone is now official as the company just revealed it at a media event in New York. The new flagship handset certainly looks the part on paper as it is equipped with just about every high-end feature you’d come to expect from a premium smartphone in this day and age.

The LG G2 will ship with a 5.2-inch, 423 pixels per inch (PPI) display operating at a resolution of 1,080 x 1,920 and is powered by Qualcomm’s latest high-end CPU, the quad-core Snapdragon 800 clocked at 2.26GHz. Elsewhere we find 2GB of system RAM, options for either 16GB or 32GB of internal flash storage, a 13-megapixel rear camera with image stabilization, a 2.1-megapixel front-facing shooter and a hefty 3,000mAh battery.

smartphone lg g2 lg g2

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the G2 is the decision to place the power and volume rocker buttons on the back of the phone. The change certainly makes for a cleaner looking phone from the front and sides and is said to be great for ambidextrous use although I suspect it’ll take consumers some time to get used to the new location.

With the move, LG has implemented a new method to quickly wake up the G2 called “Knock Knock.” Simply double tap the screen to wake up the device – pretty nifty. LG said accidental bumps from the phone being in your pocket won’t cause it to wake up.

Critics are also likely to point out the lack of a removable battery as well as the fact there isn't a card slot to facilitate added storage.

The handset will ship with Android 4.2.2 with a custom LG overlay on top of that. I’m sure some are just a bit disappointed that LG didn’t opt for Android 4.3 as it was recently shown off by Google. The smartphone will be available in black or white through more than 130 wireless providers across the globe within the next two months. All four of the major carriers in the US will sell the device, we’re told.

No word yet on pricing or exact launch dates.

Permalink to story.

Critics are also likely to point out the lack of a removable battery as well as the fact there isn't a card slot to facilitate added storage.

Critics do love picking on that. :) The iphone is evidence that many people don't care, however, it's disappointing to see LG didn't go the same rout as the HTC One and make the base model 32GB to make up for it. There's a feature called USB OTG (On The Go) that allows the phone to host a USB flash drive as an option. Perhaps LG included that.

Also, Android 4.3 is really only useful for the low-energy bluetooth from what I've heard (someone can correct me), and considering they have to test the phone for months before release they probably didn't have an option to include it. 4.2.2 is a good choice.

Looks to be a good one. Let's see how it stacks up against the S4 and One once it's released though

Hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like the display edges are curved (like the N4). That's very, very nice. :D

LG phones has always been good looking ... yet they always abandon their Flag phones... poor phone supports... I wish they just make pure android phone.

Back