LG: Google's sales forecast for Nexus 4 were wildly innacurate

Jos

Staff

Google made a bold move late last year by announcing its flagship Nexus smartphone for an unsubsidized price starting at $300. That's a big deal when comparable devices are selling for twice as much and the upfront cost for most last generation phones with a two year contract is only slightly cheaper at $200. But ultimately Google failed to deliver -- both figuratively and literally -- as it missed shiipping deadlines and had to pull the device from sale due to problems with supplies.

Last month, the company pinned the blame on "scarce and erratic" supplies from manufacturer LG, while also admitting that their communication had been flawed.

But LG has a different story to tell. In an interview with French website Challenges, Cathy Robin, director LG Mobile France said they built precisely the number of phones that Google requested, it's just that the Internet giant's sales forecasts were wildly innacurate. Estimates were based on sales of the Samsung-made Galaxy Nexus, which meant there were too few handsets available and too many shipped to the wrong regions.

Robin noted that despite the setbacks, the partnership between Google and LG is still going well, and in fact they expect to ramp up production of the Nexus 4 by mid-February to address the shortage.

Last week, LG's senior vice president James Fisher also said that the Nexus 4 was "the first of many" products the Korean firm had planned with Google, sparking rumors that the firm could be in charge of its sucessor.

Permalink to story.

I don't get it... why blame LG? What does that accomplish if you throw your partner under the bus? Why wouldn't they just say the nexus is far more popular than anyone imagined. That would have made even more people want one and by the time LG can come up with them they'd have a bigger pile of orders to fill.

I understand why they're mad though. A few months in this industry without being able to sell your phone is a lot of lost money.

So it's basically been sold out for 2 months and they are waiting another month before increasing production? They should have done that right after it was released. At this rate it will be outdated by the time they ever get it back in stock.

I-p-h-o-n-e-5.

Just kidding. I might be biased as a Nexus 4 owner but I don't see how it's ugly. There really isn't much difference in appearance between smartphones as most of the devices are screen. Pfft. And yes they did mess up with their sales forecast, big time.

Back