LG's flexible, plastic e-ink display hits mass production

Jos

Staff

LG today announced that it has begun mass production of the world's first flexible e-ink display. The 6-inch panel that promises to "revolutionize the e-book market" sports a resolution of 1024 x 768 and can be bent up to 40-degrees without breaking. In addition, because it uses a flexible plastic substrate rather than glass, it's less than half the weight (14g) and one-third thinner (.7mm) than a traditional e-ink panel with similar specs.

The technology, known as electronic paper display (EPD), will enable e-reader manufacturers to produce thinner devices and perhaps featuring different form factors from what's available today, all of this without sacrificing durability. The South Korean company says its plastic display survives repeated 1.5-meter drop tests as well as break and scratch tests with a small urethane hammer.

There's no word on pricing yet, but LG Display has talked up EPDs as being cheaper alternatives to current e-reader displays. The first products using LG's flexible panel are reportedly on track for a release in China and the European market as early as April. It's unclear what vendors will be offering them.

Permalink to story.

from the article:
will enable will enable e-reader manufacturers

Proof read much? :p

But seriously, this is awesome. Like the first guest said, I honestly did not expect this technology this soon. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up in the real world. There's a lot than can go wrong here.

is it limited to displaying black and white right now? picture doesnt show any colors in the display. although i do think if i remember correctly like the first kindle and stuff like that were black and white

Looks cool indeed I actually expected this sooner my brother read about this tech or something very similar in popular mechanic about 7 years ago and wouldn't shut up about it lol.

Guest said:
is it limited to displaying black and white right now? picture doesnt show any colors in the display. although i do think if i remember correctly like the first kindle and stuff like that were black and white

Yes EPD or E-Ink is still currently only black and white. It is a different technology used than the LCD displays used in other devices (like the KIndle Fire). For more information see this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrophoretic_display#Electrophoretic

will enable will enable e-reader manufacturers

Come one, I expect stuff like that from Shawn(sometimes Rick), but I know you know better than that Jose.

Anyway, awesome tech. I wonder if it will have an application outside of e-readers.

Props to LG for bringing new tech to market! Hope this speeds up flexible display development and lowers prices. Cool stuff.

Just because it is cheaper does not mean that we will be paying less: LED monitors and TVs are cheaper than the alternatives but we paid more for a long period of time…

2560x1440p would be more ideal for these type of EPD, but still LCD Mono-Chrome is the first to come out over Color type. Prices should be high then fall after it get made but the masses. LCD, LCD/LED all these will be replace by this technology. It's coming soon now. HDTV, GPS an etc.. are sure to follow too.

So for the picture they printed the New York Times at such a small resolution that you'd need a magnifying glass to read it? Yeah, not sure what I'm supposed to use this for.

Very cool, except pcbs don't bend ! So what use is this except to create a curved surface to fit a back pocket ? So will we soon be choosing readers based on butt size and curvature ? I can't think that'll catch on...

Back