Lian Li D8000 HPTX: Double-sized chassis reviewed

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/691-lian-li-d8000-hptx/]https://www.techspot.com/review/691-lian-li-d8000-hptx/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Damn, that's a huge.... case.

A better question would now be - how many PCIe SATA expansion cards are needed? I don't see mobos with 20 SATAIII ports flying around...

Interesting chassis. Seems to have taken most of its layout/styling from Mountain Mods U2-UFO...but without the latters versatility. Obviously a great option for storage/server use, but looks like a lot of work to get the full potential as an enthusiast water cooling chassis, and more than a little overkill for an air cooled system.
Removing left-hand half of the hard drive cages gives a nice through-and-through option...
d8000.jpg

...but it seems a waste to pay for the internals only to discard them- then mod up a replacement front facia.
A better question would now be - how many PCIe SATA expansion cards are needed? I don't see mobos with 20 SATAIII ports flying around...
Add-in PCI-E SATA/SAS RAID card ?

With the size price and capacity of todays hard drives does this even make sense anymore ? I can see being taller to fit more exp cards etc but the width is not necassary

"At the base of the D8000 are two 1400mm fan grills"
Either this case is highly innovated and created a new fan size or I think the author added an extra zero lol.
This case is freakin' HUGE. I have an NZXT Phantom and that case is already entirely too large for my needs. I have no idea what I'd do with that much free space in my case...

You can probably have a family of 10 living there! :D Just needs to be fully coated black imho.
Nice article guys +1

That thing is huge! I phased out all of my large cases about 4 years ago. I thought Micro ATX and Mini ITX was the new "hotness". I can already see someone buying this case and sticking a Mini ITX board in there.

I've been using 4 media sonic 4 bay enclosures. Which I think I still prefer to this for home, but for business this is a way to go if price isn't stupid.

I saw this a month ago... would definitely buy it as a HTPC server. I'm in the process of replacing a lot of my DVDs to Blu-ray, and I rip ISOs.. already maxed out my 13TB in the HTPC and there's still a lot to go. This would be awesome!

It's really a low end system:
i3 540
G.Skill 60GB SSD for the OS
5 x 2TB WD Green and 1 x 3TB WD Green
2GB Corsair RAM
Windows 7 HP
Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3
Antec Earthwatts 430W.
HIS Radeon HD6450 Silent
All in a Silverstone LC-16 (black)

As you can see, it's very low power, but it's pretty quiet too - the loudest thing probably the CPU fan. Next year I'll be upgrading it. Not sure about the motherboard/cpu combo yet, but the drives, definitely. 4TB is really coming down in price, and I could easily replace all 5 2TB drives with 2TB drives to add another 10TB in total.

This doesn't make sense. A lot of wasted space. Even with all the hard drive slots populated, the space above the motherboard is all wasted. A better design would be to have too different compartments. One dedicated for the motherboard and components and the other for hard drives. Server manufacturers such as SuperMicro do a better job of utilizing space. Their only downfall is the excessive noise from their jet engine fans.

This doesn't make sense. A lot of wasted space. Even with all the hard drive slots populated, the space above the motherboard is all wasted.
Makes perfect sense to me. If someone has multiple graphic cards and a dual CPU socket motherboard, they may prefer having two 360mm radiators in twin water cooling loops. This design allows for ultimate configuration for a massive computing system. If you are a money pincher such as myself, this case is not for you.

I bookmark this in my science folder for supercolliders and spacecrafts, because it is just as useful in my life. Seriously, how many readers here would ever consider buying it?

Besides, today one can cram a 4-SLI system into a tower half the size.

I was just saying the other day this setup was completely unrealistic simply because there was no case where to put 2 1500W PSUs and it seems someone has just raised the hand. Now there's a chance someone crazy with that amount of money can put together 4 Titans and play in 4K relatively comfortable.

I was just saying the other day this setup was completely unrealistic simply because there was no case where to put 2 1500W PSUs and it seems someone has just raised the hand.
Lian Li are a little late to that particular game. There are a few chassis builders providing that feature. Mountain Mods Ascension/U2-UFO and the excellent CaseLabs Magnum and Merlin range both offer options for 1, 2, 3, or 4 PSUs
Now there's a chance someone crazy with that amount of money can put together 4 Titans and play in 4K relatively comfortable.
And a Quad-SLI GTX Titan using the aforementioned CaseLabs Magnum (work in progress)
LL

Lian Li are a little late to that particular game. There are a few chassis builders providing that feature. Mountain Mods Ascension/U2-UFO and the excellent CaseLabs Magnum and Merlin range both offer options for 1, 2, 3, or 4 PSUs

And a Quad-SLI GTX Titan using the aforementioned CaseLabs Magnum (work in progress)

That is crazy. One either has a real professional need for this, or simply more money than sense. My single GTX 780 can play Crysis 3 at 2560x1600 quite comfortably, while making zero noise. And this one is like that "special" Ford Mustang with 1600 bhp that fails to lunch due to complete tyres burn out on the starting line, but boy, the kind of noise it makes!!!

That is crazy. One either has a real professional need for this, or simply more money than sense.
The third, and more likely option is that the rig- like most other systems that surpass any realistic workload likely to be thrown at it, is the product of a hobby. If you're financially well set, you'll find that people tend to channel outlandish (to the non hobbyist) amounts of cash into what seems like a minimal return. It's not really that removed from any number of interests. Big game fishing ( travel to and from, boat hire, equipment cost etc.) that ends in tag and release, and custom hot rod building (where the build cost is seldom realized at eventual sale) are two that I'm acquainted with.

I'd venture that the above system would actually be near silent. That much cooling area would require minimal airflow even with four GPUs in the loops. You'd likely get away with a fan speed of ~800 rpm (or lower depending upon fan filter usage) with that much surface area.

This case is nice, love the review of it. That thing is so big and wide I feel like putting in an amazing liquid cooling system into it and run a nice 4 card setup. All that room leaves so many possibilities and leaves a lot of ideas to my imagination. I feel this could be a cool case for an ivy bridge-e system, dual socket, 64gb of ram, and some beautiful 7990's, GTX 690's, 4 7970's, or 4 780's, ahhh the possibilities are limitless. Im now wanting to get my hands on one just to try something cool with it. Alas im too happy with my case right now since its only a year old now and don't really feel like swapping them out :p

Back