Light Phone II wants to help curb your smartphone addiction

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Make no mistake - the Light Phone II is a tough sell in the era of powerful flagships and impressive entry-level models, especially at $350. Smartphone addiction, however, is very real and many could benefit from spending less time hunched over their phones. Of course, admitting you have a problem is the first step and could be Light's biggest hurdle.

The original Light Phone was a rarity in that it was designed to be used as infrequently as possible. In a day and age where everything from entertainment and productivity to communication is increasingly moving to mobile devices, some are finding it to all be a bit overwhelming.

It’s ironic, really. We’re increasingly connected on the digital landscape while simultaneously becoming more disconnected with the real world. The folks at Light want to offer an alternative and they’re doing just that with their Light Phones – minimalist handsets that deliver the very basics of communication, and nothing more.

The original Light Phone may have been too big a step for many… or perhaps, not enough. It was a companion device designed to work alongside your existing phone. It was able to make calls but that was essentially it. And again, it was a companion device, so it didn’t exactly do a ton to help curb smartphone addiction because you’d still have your full-featured phone.

With the Light Phone II, the company has baked in a few additional core features that boost the device to standalone status (meaning it can replace your existing phone, not just supplement it). It'll support handy tools like a calendar, a calculator, an alarm and a notepad that can be added or removed at will. You’ll also be able to listen to music on it (and yes, there is a headphone jack).

“The Light Phone II will never have feeds, social media, advertisements, news or email,” the company notes.

In terms of hardware, the Light Phone II follows the notion that less is more. It’s small, with a 2.84-inch E Ink touch display and tips the scales at just 78 grams. Inside is a battery that offers two hours of talk time and 13 days of standby time. It uses a micro USB port for charging, has Bluetooth capabilities and works with most major wireless providers’ networks.

The Light Phone II is available to pre-order from writing priced at $350. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, it’ll ship near the end of October. It’ll be able to call, text and set alarms initially; additional tools will start rolling out by the end of the year, we’re told.

Masthead credit: Smartphone addiction by Alberto Andrei Rosu

Permalink to story.

"The Light Phone II is available to pre-order from writing priced at $350"

What?! This much for a phone that looks like an original iPhone prototype with much less features?

You can get a flip phone for $20 that do the job better, this price is insane.

You can get a fully functional smartphone with android oreo GO for just 50-80$, so it might end up like the wii u or other failures

Though press releases are important, y'all should really add a [Sponsored] tag for transparency purposes.

I know you need to eat to live, but you can have some semblance of pride when it comes to shilling crap.

Just get a feature phone without WiFi and you're set.

The "we care about your addiction" thing is just a marketing scheme to make it look like it's more than just a crappy phone and to try and justify the price.

Just get a feature phone without WiFi and you're set.

The "we care about your addiction" thing is just a marketing scheme to make it look like it's more than just a crappy phone and to try and justify the price.
That is one method... I agree though this is of course a marketing scheme. Though that being said there are some nice things about this phone that makes it better than a "feature phone", or dumb phone as I call them.

Anyway did anyone use the "Ultra Power Saving Mode" on Samsung phones a few years back? I remember my Galaxy S5 had this function which switched the OLED to greyscale, and locked you into a dumbed down UI with only like six different options. It was somewhat customizable but I really liked this function. I think expanding upon this with a lot more customization ability would be the perfect solution. Being able to reduce all UI elements to only exactly what I want, say phone, messages, music, and Chrome browser would be ideal for me. Or whatever, maybe I only want messages and music and disable/hide the rest. There is something to be said for a simple, basic UI that helps you from wanting to fiddle with the thing all the time.

galaxys5_ultra_powersaver_hero.jpg

That is one method... I agree though this is of course a marketing scheme. Though that being said there are some nice things about this phone that makes it better than a "feature phone", or dumb phone as I call them.

Anyway did anyone use the "Ultra Power Saving Mode" on Samsung phones a few years back? I remember my Galaxy S5 had this function which switched the OLED to greyscale, and locked you into a dumbed down UI with only like six different options. It was somewhat customizable but I really liked this function. I think expanding upon this with a lot more customization ability would be the perfect solution. Being able to reduce all UI elements to only exactly what I want, say phone, messages, music, and Chrome browser would be ideal for me. Or whatever, maybe I only want messages and music and disable/hide the rest. There is something to be said for a simple, basic UI that helps you from wanting to fiddle with the thing all the time.

galaxys5_ultra_powersaver_hero.jpg
I don't know about current phones but I have that feature on Galaxy S6.

Back