Linksys Router keep disconnecting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a problem with my Linksys router. I have verizon dsl and on this connection I use wireless router which keep loosing connection every couple of hours. The only solution I found to make it work againg is to power it down and up again. Some days it works fine , others I loose connection every minute. I dont know what is going on. I had the same problem with D-link router so I bought Linksys one hoping that this would solve my problem. But it did not, and my 1 month old router makes me maaaaadddd.
Does anyone know how to fix it??? People in Linksys keep checking my setting - it work for a couple of hour or days but it happens again and again.
Maciek

"lose connection" means what? Can you still access the router? If you can get to the router setup page then most likely it is the DSL that has died and not the router. You may have a bad line or some problems at the exchange.

Also,
1. Always upate to the latest firmware.
2. Disable unneeded services on the router - get rid of uPnP, DHCP, packet filter. This way there will be more resources left to th real job - routing.

Ive a similar problem, Ive a wired linksys router, and am using metronet at home.
To connect to the work LAN I use Cisco VPN.
The connection keeps dropping. Ive upped the time out to maximum, also checked on the other pc's the internet connection is still there.
There is no time limit the uplink can last 1 hour or 30 mins sometimes the whole day. I have checked the software on the server and there doesnt appear to be any faults with other users.
I have also tried a different router.

Any ideas?

Nodsu said:
"lose connection" means what? Can you still access the router? If you can get to the router setup page then most likely it is the DSL that has died and not the router. You may have a bad line or some problems at the exchange.

Also,
1. Always upate to the latest firmware.
2. Disable unneeded services on the router - get rid of uPnP, DHCP, packet filter. This way there will be more resources left to th real job - routing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Drops connection means I can acces router but internet connection is lost. This only occurs when I use router, when I eliminate router and connect my dsl modem directly to my pc connection is always ON. I have newest firmware. I read that people have similar problems. Does this meas that my router is BAD ?

toffeapple said:
Michelle,

Do you use a cisco PIX on your work LAN?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use my router at home to connect my laptop with my wireless linksys router and my desktop pc is connected with it through ethernet cable. Honestly I do not know what cisco PIx is. Can you help?

mpiotrowski,

Hard to know what your problem is..you have done the most obvious test and tested it cabled with your original router and you had no problems...there for you know your DSL is fine..leads you back to the router..i would guess you have a problem with the linksys( stating the obvious!!!)..have you tired connecting to the linksys router through an ethernet cable(rj45)?

Michelle,

Do you have a lot of users connecting through the PIX? if your connection is only dropping when your connect through the VPN I would guess the problem is with the PIX on your LAN..I have seen them struggle before as traffic increases it will drop your connection.. some times a simple reboot(reset) of the PIX can solve this..you can run a ping trail and see if the packets are fluctuating( ping x.x.x.x -t ) try and do it at a time when you know there is a lot of activity....we had this problem and we sloved it by routing our VPN's through a concentrator..Have other users on your network complained of connections dropping?
(ps ctrl+c quits the trail)

toffeapple said:
mpiotrowski,

Hard to know what your problem is..you have done the most obvious test and tested it cabled with your original router and you had no problems...there for you know your DSL is fine..leads you back to the router..i would guess you have a problem with the linksys..have you tired connecting to the linksys router through an ethernet cable(rj45)?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The problem is that I have 2 computer connected to router. one uses wireless conn and other is connected trough ethernet. When connection is lost it it lost on both comps. I've had same problem with my D-link router , that's why I bought this new one. There are also 2 other network that my wireless card detects in the neighborhood. Could this be a problem. I changed my channel from 6 to 11 and still lost signal after that. Is this a metter of setting, because it is harg for me to understand that both router I have got bad so quickly.

should list some of the settings you are using in the router
on that note
check the login of the router
don't set for optan ip auto (WAN)
set to PPPoe redial every 30 sec's or so

I had Connect on Demand: Max Idle Time 0 min
so now i've changed it to Keep Alive: Redial Period 30 Sec
I'll see what happens
Thanks for your help - will let you know how it work

toffeapple said:
Michelle,

Do you have a lot of users connecting through the PIX? if your connection is only dropping when your connect through the VPN I would guess the problem is with the PIX on your LAN..I have seen them struggle before as traffic increases it will drop your connection.. some times a simple reboot(reset) of the PIX can solve this..you can run a ping trail and see if the packets are fluctuating( ping x.x.x.x -t ) try and do it at a time when you know there is a lot of activity....we had this problem and we sloved it by routing our VPN's through a concentrator..Have other users on your network complained of connections dropping?
(ps ctrl+c quits the trail)

Thank you Toffeapple, Ill run the continuous ping this morning and see how it fairs after a reboot.

There are a couple of others who say the connection drops, one connects through Telewest another through BT.

Ill try the reboot and ping today.

Thank you

Sometimes the simple things get overlooked. Double-check to make sure you have a DSL filter on ALL phone jacks...whether they are in use or not.

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back