Linksys Wireless N router asks for password?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyromaster114

Okay, so I bought a new Wireless N router (WRT600N) from Best Buy today, after my Wireless G router decided to go nuts on me.

I got it set up and it works fine for B/G devices, but I set up the Wireless N part, and tried to connect to it with my newest laptop... I click the SSID name that I set for the 5GHz band, and it says "You may need to enter additional information or select a pass key to access this network" or something like that... and the choices Windows Vista Ultimate gives me are:
Enter/Select Additional Log-On information
or
Connect to a Different Network
Screenshot of choice prompt:
choice1.jpg

If I select the first one (cause duh... i want to connect to that network... ) it brings up this box asking for me to type in a Username, a Password, and a Domain.

What did I do wrong? I told the router in the web-config utility to use WEP not some other weird thing...
What am I supposed to put in that box?
This is the box it gives me:
password_box.jpg

What did I do? How do I fix it?

Okay, so I've gotten somewhere with this after messing with it for a few hours:

I've figured out the following things:
1) Wireless N 5.0 GHz DOES NOT WORK WELL when told to use WEP encryption.
Solution: Change to WPA2-Personal AES Encryption.

2) Wireless N 2.4 GHz will not give you the full speed if you're using WEP encryption.
Solution: Change to WPA2-Personal AES Encryption.

3) Wireless N routers are a pain in the @$$, but faster than the older B/G ones.

Yes WPA or WPA2 solves a lot of problems.. N is still in Draft Mode so it's not standardized yet.. G has been around for years so that is standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back