Linux as a Secondary Domain Controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamingguy27

Hello All,

I wanted to ask you all a question,

I work at a school and funds are always tight, it would be nice to replace one of our domain controllers with a simple Linux box.

The idea is to keep the main server (Windows 2003, 2008 soon) as the GC, then have additional domain controllers as Linux boxes.

I have a box ready to go with Samba, not really sure what to do though.

Regards.

Alex.

Hello again,

I've been trying to get it to work for a couple of days now, and I'm much closer.

The only thing I'm stuggling with is Kerberos authentication, if anyone has any active directory experience it would be appriciated!

Regards,

Alex.

What are you using AD for? User authentication only? User permissions control? Login scripts? etc? What's the scope of your deployment?

Hello,

Thanks for the response, at the moment the domain controller this linux box will be replacing does the whole lot. Log on / off scripts, authentication, permissions, it'll most likely be running on one of our older 8 core xeon machines (so pleanty of horsepower for linix).

Currently there are around 500 computers on site, we have a primary domain controller whos only role is to sevice log ons, but a secondary linux box would ease the strain!

I've been using the samba packages and sadms to attempt registering it as a secondary domain controller. As I said previously, it struggles to do the Kerboros authentication bit.

Regards,

Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back