Liquid cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micael

Hi, I have a Nvidia GeForce 9500GS that came with my computer and is currently fan operated, temperatures idle at 64 degrees celcius and gaming (left 4 dead) go to a max of 90 degrees celcius which causes me some problems and alot of concern. I'd like to switch to liquid cooling.

My case is pretty cramped so I was thinking of taking out my tv card and modem out to make space in it. Even with that done, the wires in there still cramp it up alot. Another solution would be to have liquid cooling outside the case which I'd like as a last resort. What liquid cooling product would you recommend for my card?

Thank you.

EDIT: I posted 2 pictures of the inside of my case. The second (red) card is my graphics card and the one on top is the card for my tv options (unused).

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 12
I'd high recommend not getting into watercooling for a 9500gs, If you want lower temps get an aftermarket air cooler, thermalrites are the best imo and by reviews, reducing temps up to 15C on most cards on average.

I recently watercooled my last computer, it cost me 1k usd to do it in the way I want it, if I were to upgrade I dont see myself going back to air. its a bad habit, dont commit to it, especially for a low/mid end card.

I'd high recommend not getting into watercooling for a 9500gs, If you want lower temps get an aftermarket air cooler, thermalrites are the best imo and by reviews, reducing temps up to 15C on most cards on average.

I recently watercooled my last computer, it cost me 1k usd to do it in the way I want it, if I were to upgrade I dont see myself going back to air. its a bad habit, dont commit to it, especially for a low/mid end card.

Watercooling is optimal though...i wouldn't do the whole computer, just the card.

What thermalite fan do you recommend for my card/case (pics)

Would you recommend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118037

I hear good things about this brand.

Liquid cooling is optimal, but its done 99% of the time on higher end cards. IMO its a waste in your case. I'd recommend going with an aftermarket air cooler and put away with the hasel.

This card is playing the games i want with the settings i want...the only problem is the heating and i'll admit, my case is a little too small. But the card is fine as it is. I have not had any problems playing any high end game with high settings so far..

supersmashbrada, what do you think about the fan i mentioned?

That's a great fan actually. I'd say get that before you go with water, post back and let me know what you think after you install it.

Slight problem. My mother board only has 1 3pin connector...so to connect my new fan, i had to disconnect the computer fan which is in the back of the case. to make up for this i left the case open so any hot air just escapes freely...any hints on how to get another 3pin connector for my motherboard? or is there such a wire that has 3 way connection...like...1 wire connects to mother board and then 2 wires which have 3 pins so i can connect both my fans? my gpu is currently at 52 idle and steadily rising, it was at 45 when i first booted the computer and it keeps steadily rising.

9500gs = low end card.
water cooling = high end
water cooling is also unnecessary 100% of the time, water cooling is for high end over clocking, thats why all standard cards come with a FAN and nothing more.
Use a program of your choice to turn up your fanspeed, and if you can, get those wires out of the way. My personal favorite by far is EVGA precision.

hints on how to get another 3pin connector for my motherboard?
Not for your motherboard. I think your are thinking of a wire splitter. Take the single 3pin connector on your motherboard, cut it open, and split the wires in half and now you have two. This does of course draw twice as much power, but I think that should be fine. Make sure you turn off your power and disconnect. If you have any doubts, it is safer not to do it and have someone help or walk you through it.

9500gs = low end card.
water cooling = high end
water cooling is also unnecessary 100% of the time, water cooling is for high end over clocking, thats why all standard cards come with a FAN and nothing more.
Use a program of your choice to turn up your fanspeed, and if you can, get those wires out of the way. My personal favorite by far is EVGA precision.

Not for your motherboard. I think your are thinking of a wire splitter. Take the single 3pin connector on your motherboard, cut it open, and split the wires in half and now you have two. This does of course draw twice as much power, but I think that should be fine. Make sure you turn off your power and disconnect. If you have any doubts, it is safer not to do it and have someone help or walk you through it.

I actually bought a second wire off newegg to connect to my power supply and connect from there. I wouldn't feel comfortable splitting the wires at all.

Now, to the heat i was measuring up. It seems that my fan controller was messed up. if i touched it to get it onto higher/lower settings, the fan on the card would turn off completely. I'd have to turn off the computer and turn it on. What i did was not connect the controller at all and use default fan speeds. It now idles on a steady 45 and i'll post load temps once my cable comes in.

WOW, i downloaded evga precision...temperatures the same as speedfan. i thought i'd try to set my fan settings higher and what happens...blue screen. i had to system restore it. Not too pleased lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back