Locked Files

Narinesa

I upgraded my windows10 x64.
Changed computer.
Changed user name.
Note sure if some files were encrypted on usb (via xio labs or some sort of file encryption)

Cannot access many files with E attributes.
Permission denied. Not sure which user had ownership.
Tried to reset permission to all.
Nothing seems to work.
Not a technical person.

No such thing as permissions all. BIG issue is where are such files located, ONLY on the external USB or also on the PC hd?

I think the permission is currently set to everyone.
Files are on USB - not on PC hd.
Yes, everyone:full control would be correct.

However, if you're on a new system and/or have a new HD, you now need the private key that was use to encrypt the files. Without it, just give up as you will not crack the key.

I cannot copy the file to send to anyone for testing.
The files were on the old system but on usb.
I am on a new system but the same usb.
I have played with hide my folder and hide my files encryption.
It is also possible that I had my files locked via a ransonware or virus on the old computer.
But being a novice, I have no way in knowing the real problem.
And yes I did gave up.

If your files had been encrypted, they should have had unique extensions. Also, a ransom note should have been created. If you did not notice this, it is unlikely that you were dealing with a ransomware.

Ok. Extension is JPG.
During that time, I had many problems with the computer - don't know if it was hardware, virus, ransomware, my trying folder/files encryption or simply inexperience.
It would have been difficult for the ransomware to send me a note, I was busy trying to fix the computer and trying everything.
During that time, I did receive an overseas call but did not answer the phone.
I also tried changing the attribute code A and E. Got rid of the A but E remains.

UPDATE_1

During the many problems with my desktop, I was using xoslabs Easy File Locker on a usb drive.
I switched to a laptop using the usb files which are locked and can only be used on the desktop.
I went to file properties details and found out that I have to go back to the desktop and unlock the files or export the certificate to the laptop.
I found out that the RAM chips 4GB is causing a problem and windows will not display or start.
So I will have to remove the 4 chips and insert one chip to test each one at a time.

Ok. Extension is JPG.
During that time, I had many problems with the computer - don't know if it was hardware, virus, ransomware, my trying folder/files encryption or simply inexperience.
It would have been difficult for the ransomware to send me a note, I was busy trying to fix the computer and trying everything.
During that time, I did receive an overseas call but did not answer the phone.
I also tried changing the attribute code A and E. Got rid of the A but E remains.
Attributes are explained here: https://superuser.com/questions/44812/windows-explorers-file-attribute-column-values
  • A means: ready for A{archiving} aka has been modified and needs backup
  • E means: is encrypted

UPDATE_1
I found out that the RAM chips 4GB is causing a problem and windows will not display or start.
So I will have to remove the 4 chips and insert one chip to test each one at a time.
Filesystem 'locks' are not related to memory. *IF* you have startup issues, solve that and then come back to the locked-file issue.

Computer problems were related to bad RAM memory but was unaware of the caused of the problem until today.
Just learn the cause of my file problem today.
File lock was encrypted on a different computer (desktop) and cannot be unlock/un-encrypted on a laptop.
Desktop is not working at the moment until the RAM is replaced.

Back