Locking in network cables

petroltimer

hi,

Just wondering if anybody knows about locking in network cables, network cables keep getting removed by staff, cleaners etc. I see plenty of locks on the market to lock the cables into the wall jacks but do these work or is there something else available to lock the cables into the back of the PC's and network printers.

Thanks, David

I think a better idea would be to educate the morons that keep removing them. :haha:

Why on earth do cleaners and staff need to continually remove them anyway?!?

the ignorance is unreal, they will take the network cable out of the pc or printer for their laptop, thats bad but some cant be bothered to even attempt to put it back in the pc, then the cleaners put in the cables in the wrong ports, so mess up all the vlans.

so i know i can sort the cleaner problem, but stop the others is the problem.

Do you offer WiFi for staff members laptops? If so, are they aware they can just use that instead of a ethernet?

I suppose you could go at this several ways:

1. You could lock them down, which would cost money, and would likely be circumvented by other means anyway - Plus it means legitimate reasons for moving the cables then become a problem - Do you want to be hounded every time one needs moving?
2. You could speak to the staff, and find out why they keep removing them, and ask them how it could be bettered. e.g. Is it the same people, could they have a separate Ethernet lead for a laptop or printer? It costs money, but maybe not as much, plus it might mean they come to you next time rather than just rip everything apart.
3. You could consider stricter penalties for messing with the equipment. My previous workplace came down hard on anyone unauthorised to touch the IT equipment - Even messing with Ethernet cables was prohibited. The issue with this is someone ends up being the fall-guy(or lady) the first time it happens, as you have to enforce what you preach - Sorted the problem though, but a tad OTT I think!

Personally, I'd just go with option 2, find out how you can resolve the situation with those removing the leads (and why they are, and how you prevent it), and give the lovely cleaner a word of warning about not ever touching them ever again. :haha:

To provide an answer besides alternatives (I agree with a combination of all three options Leeky suggests), http://www.rjlockdown.com/ is one such system. They essentially cover the locking tab so you can't remove the cable without taking off the "lock".

Back