Inactive Log files

Status
Not open for further replies.
well I was having a problem with IE windows just popping up and directing to advertisements. Also audio playing out of nowhere.

I'll be glad to help you, but understand- the more information I get from you, the more I have to work with and the better I can help. For instance:
  1. ]
  2. Are you using pop-up stopper?
  3. Are the ads of any particular nature such as male enhancement products.
  4. You say the pop-ups are directing you to ads- please describe this> are there ads popping up or are popups referring you to some kind of security program to download?
  5. Are your searches being redirected or is it just pop-ups?
(We'll hold off on doing anything separate for the audio for now)

We are somewhat limited of the current information and cleaning tools we use when it comes to the 64 bit operating systems. HijackThis doesn't scan correctly.

Please download OTS to your Desktop
  • Close all other programs.
  • Double-click on OTS.exe to start the program.
  • Check the box that says Scan All Users
  • Under Additional Scans check the following:
    [o] Reg - Shell Spawning
    [o] File - Lop Check
    [o] File - Purity Scan
    [o] Evnt - EvtViewer (last 10)
  • Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar.
  • Let it run unhindered until it finishes.
  • When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
  • Click the Format menu and make sure that Wordwrap is not checked. If it is then click on it to uncheck it.

Attach the report in next reply.

Well sense I did the 8 steps the pop ups have stopped and the audio has stopped too. I am not running a pop up stopper the adds are for a variety of stuff and its was popping up in Explorer. I use Mozilla and no, my searches aren't being redirected. But I just want to make sure that there's nothing wrong with my PC. Thank you for taking the time to help me. I didn't see a format tab in OTS View attachment OTS.Txt

There are some processes that need to be removed:

1) You are running both McAfee and Symantec. It looks like they are both 'suites'. This means they have antivirus, firewall and additional features.
2) You are also running ZoneAlarm. I'm not sure if it's just the firewall or the newer program which includes an AV.

You need to get down to ONE antivirus program and ONE firewall. Multiple antimalware programs are okay. Here are some tools to aid in removing any of the three programs:
  • McAfee Removal
  • Norton Removal Tool
  • To uninstall ZoneAlarm
    [1] Go to Control Center> go to the Preferences tab of the Overview panel.
    [2] Clear the check box labeled Load ZoneAlarm at startup.
    [3] Reboot the computer.
    [4] In Windows start menu: Go to Start> Programs> Zone Labs
    [5] Click Uninstall ZoneAlarm.
    [6] During the uninstallation process, you will see a dialog box titles "This is a security check from the Zone Labs security engine> Click YES in this dialog box.

There are numerous Warnings that '"LiveUpdate returned a non-critical error. Available content updates may have failed to install." and also "Source = MCUpdate | ID = 0 -> Error connecting to the internet. Unable to contact server." So it's possible that neither of these security suites are getting current updates.

I would advise you to reboot after removing one of the security suites, then run a full system scan with the program you kept.

The system also has multiple programs running to 'optomize' it. Problem is, many of test programs use more resources than they free up for you!
  • ConsumerSoft : My Faster PC™ Software Suite: helps users clean and optimize their computers for optimal performance. The software uses a suite of industry standard tools and best-practices to tweak settings, search for invalid system information, clean-up unneeded files.
  • FixCleaner : a multi-purpose utility for diagnosing and repairing system errors as well as optimizing PC settings.
  • lsdelete.exe :part of Lavasoft boot cleaner

Then each of these makes a folder of their 'application data.'

P2P or 'file sharing Warning:
I notice that you are running LimeWire
Note: Even if you are using a "safe" P2P program, it is only the program that is safe. I suggest that you uninstall LimeWire for the following reasons:
  • As long as you are using file sharing networks and programs which are from sources that are not documented, you cannot verity that a download is legitimate.
  • Malware writers use these program to include malicious content.
  • Fie sharing is usually unmonitored and there is a danger that your private files might be accessed.
  • The 'sharing' also includes malware that the shared system has on it.
  • Files that are illegal can be spread through file sharing.

Please read the information on P2P Warning to help you better understand these dangers.
c:\program files (x86)\limewire\limewire.exe |

I am not running a pop up stopper
We all need a pop-up stopper! Firefox has one built in- make sure it's enabled. Look under Tools> Content> Make sure 'Block pop-ups' is checked.

I would like to run an online AV scan to make sure nothing has gotten through with the AV duplication: See if this one will work for the 64bit, Win 7:
Run Eset NOD32 Online AntiVirus Scanner HERE
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the Active X control to install
  • Disable your current Antivirus software. You can usually do this with its Notification Tray icon near the clock.
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked, and the option "Scan unwanted applications" is checked
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • Re-enable your Antivirus software.
  • A logfile is created and located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt. Please include this on your post.
I'll check that log and if clean, will have you remove the cleaning tools. The rest will be up to you. This should include removing the outdated Java installs v1.0.14 I think it is.

I ran the scanner and yes Firefox pop up stopper is enabled. I uninstalled McAfee. The Zone Alarm is the one I downloaded as part of the 8 steps. Can you run me through uninstalling Java installs v1.0.14 and. I am using Symantec end point from a D.O.D. data base along with the download of Symantec the read me file explained that I had to modify where it downloads updates from maybe I did it wrong but when I run the live update it seems to work. View attachment log.txt

Can you run me through uninstalling Java installs v1.0.14

Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs> Uninstall all but the current version of Java.

We did not tell you that you had to install Zone Alarm. We suggests you have a firewall if you do not already have one. You already had 2!

The AV scan is clean. Are you having anymore malware related problems?

No I am not having anymore problems. What firewall programs do I have and which one is better? Hope I'm not being a pain you seem a little irritated in the last post. I thank you for all your help. THANKS

Not to worry! I tend to be irritated with anyone who just drops logs here, has subject "Log Files" and no description of the problem! It's time consuming and wasteful to have to try and pull information out of anyone waiting for help.

Please rescan with HijackThis and paste a new log into your next reply. That's the only way I'll be able to see what you still have running regarding security and make a recommendation..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back