Logitech is crowdfunding a flexible show-and-tell webcam

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: It feels like Logitech is about three years too late with Reach. Such a contraption likely would have sold like hotcakes during the pandemic but with remote work slowing down and life in general mostly back to the way it was before Covid, will users still have a need for this type of product?

Logitech has introduced what it is calling a versatile, articulating camera experience designed to share non-digital content during presentations, conference calls, and streams.

Think of Logitech Reach as a flexible show-and-tell camera. Instead of having to fiddle with your static streaming camera and disrupt the flow of your presentation, you can lay out everything you want to share ahead of time and use Reach to highlight it when the time comes.

At the heart of Logitech Reach is the StreamCam, the company's standalone webcam for live streamers and content creators. StreamCam can record in full HD 1080p resolution at up to 60 frames per second and attaches to your computer via a 1.5 m USB-C 3.1 cable. The camera utilizes a premium glass lens with f/2.0 aperture, a field of view of 78 degrees, and a focal length of 3.7 mm.

It is attached to a stand that affords both horizontal reach and vertical positioning. The camera is affixed to a pivoting head, and the whole thing sits on a full 360-degree swivel. Reach can be utilized with a traditional stand or attached to the edge of your desk using a clamp.

Cutting through the PR speak, we are looking at a webcam attached to a mic boom, but it is still a solid and useful idea. How useful, you ask? Well, it seems Logitech wants to know that answer as well and is turning to Indiegogo Enterprise to help launch the project… eventually.

The Logitech Reach product page does not mention a campaign start date or potential pricing, although interested parties can submit their email address for a discount. For reference, the StreamCam sells for $139.99 by itself.

Permalink to story.

I am not sure why Kickstarter doesn't barrs bigger companies that can certainly afford to fund projects themselves from using their platform: They should at least offer an alternative site for big companies that want to manage preorders or gauge interest as these are more market research and marketing areas for someone like Logitech but does anybody think Logitech cannot make this project happen? Last time I've checked if there's anything the swiss are not hurting for is bankers and being an established name in the market for decades I doubt they'd have any problems getting them swiss bankers to give them a credit line for whatever this is.

This closely resembles the Creative Watcher project, also in crowdfunding, but it appears to be much more advanced with two cameras, one of which has optical zoom.

Well, it may be too late for the work-from-home crowd, but I imagine that there are those who will put those "show and tell" features to use. 🤣

According to the survey they have you fill out, pricing is being considered at 399 retail, 299 discount.

For that price I'll stick to a c920 on a cheap arm instead.

I am not sure why Kickstarter doesn't barrs bigger companies that can certainly afford to fund projects themselves from using their platform: They should at least offer an alternative site for big companies that want to manage preorders or gauge interest as these are more market research and marketing areas for someone like Logitech but does anybody think Logitech cannot make this project happen? Last time I've checked if there's anything the swiss are not hurting for is bankers and being an established name in the market for decades I doubt they'd have any problems getting them swiss bankers to give them a credit line for whatever this is.

exactly, when I read "crowdfunding" for a logitech product I instantly tho, WTF ?!

Back