Logitech MX518 gets long-deserved successor, G400

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Logitech has finally introduced a veritable successor to the trusty old MX518. Long regarded as the best gaming mouse $40 can buy, the MX518 is the go-to pointing device for folks on a budget. Simply put, the MX518 offers everything an accomplished gamer requires to get the job done, including a comfortable profile, programmable buttons, on-the-fly DPI adjustments, and a cool holographic skin to boot.

The freshly announced G400 follows that general formula to the T, but it has a few new tricks up its sleeve. For starters, the optical sensor has been upgraded from 1800DPI to 3600DPI, which will undoubtedly prove handy in fast-paced twitch-oriented games. Naturally, DPI can be adjusted at any point courtesy of dedicated hardware buttons, and you can configure the four individual increments to your liking.

Since it's using a newer version of the MX518's sensor, Logitech says you can expect the same tracking consistency with less than 0.5% cursor-to-hand movement variance at up to 140 IPS. The company has also pushed the report rate from 125 to 1000 reports a second (a 1ms response time -- the quickest USB can handle). Speaking of USB, the G400's cable is thinner and 25% lighter for less restrictive movement.

logitech introduces optical gaming mouse g400

Logitech has also integrated the same button programming software used by its G-Series keyboards and the G13 Advanced Gameboard. This grants the G400 access to Logitech Gaming Software's drag and drop interface, automatic game detection, macro, and scripting capabilities -- not to mention the ability to share macros with G-Series keyboards. Logitech Gaming Software v8.0 includes profiles for 210 games.

Logitech only had one goal for the G400: to build upon everything that was great about the MX518. "We were very careful not to mess with the shape, tracking consistency, button layout, or legendary durability that millions of customers have grown to love and rely upon over the years -- we even kept the suggested retail price the same. All we wanted to do was make a legendary FPS gaming mouse work even better."

The G400 is coming to the US on June 19 for $49.99 with other markets to follow by mid-July. If you couldn't tell by the swooning above, we're pretty enthusiastic about its arrival. Several TechSpot staffers have used the MX518 for years. We deemed the best gaming mouse available in a 2005 roundup, and it's always held a seat in our desktop buying guide. Here's hoping the G400 can carry the torch for another six years.

Permalink to story.

"G400's cable is thinner and 25% lighter"

Considering the MX518 had issues where the cord would develop a faulty connection where it goes into the mouse this could be an issue.

Nonetheless I ONLY use MX518 mice and my one bit the dust so I'm glad they developed a nice successor.

Also it seems like they removed the holographic dent look in favour of a solid grey color. It definitely looks more professional now.

I was a faithful MX518 user, having "upgraded" to the G5 and G500 eventually, only the latter was as good or even a bit better albeit more expensive. If you don't care for experimenting, the Razer Deathadder is in my opinion a better overall mouse than all the aforementioned Logitech mice.

"We were very careful not to mess with the shape, tracking consistency, button layout, or legendary durability that millions of customers have grown to love and rely upon over the years -- we even kept the suggested retail price the same. All we wanted to do was make a legendary FPS gaming mouse work even better."

More companies need to follow this trend. I love my MX518. A statement such as that would virtually guarantee me picking up the G400 when I needed a new mouse.

Julio said:
I was a faithful MX518 user, having "upgraded" to the G5 and G500 eventually, only the latter was as good or even a bit better albeit more expensive. If you don't care for experimenting, the Razer Deathadder is in my opinion a better overall mouse than all the aforementioned Logitech mice.

I hated the deathadder. It felt so cheaply made in the hand, sort of like the microsoft mice that ship with computers.

I have an MX518 on all my computers. I have yet to have one die. One I got in 2006, then I got two more in 2007. They're all still working very well. I also picked up another one last year which is working well too.

I've tried various mice throughout the years, but I always returned to my MX518. Even with a successor I don't see any reason to "upgrade", the current MX518 is perfect imo. I'm sure I'll eventually have to pick a G400 to try it out.

You would not think a fancy mouse makes a difference but I bought a refurbished habu mouse for 20$(50$ new) 2 years ago and I love it. It goes to 2000 dpi, at first it takes some getting used to but after you do, you can't stand slower mouses.

If you have a standard mouse and some extra cash give one of these suped up mice a try, especially if you play FPS games.

I've been using the same MX510 (predecessor to the MX518) for seven years now and it still works perfectly despite looking all the paint having worn off from daily use. I doubt I'll ever buy another mouse.

Cybersniper here but I need a replacement. What I really fancy is a sniper button that slows dpi when held like the saitek rat mice. Anyone know if any other mice allow the same functionality maybe via programmable buttons? I want it to slow when geld and go back to normal when released.

I've always used logi mice and only had one break when I smashed it to bits in a fit of rage. lol
Currently using a G500 and loving it! This is it's lil bro me thinx and it looks very solid.

Definitely picking up the G400 when it becomes available and maybe even the MX518 for old times sake. I'm currently using a Red MX510 which has been around for years and a MX1000 for my other PC with a G5 Rev. 2 and a G9 held in reserve. Lately, I've also been testing a new mouse from a German company called the Roccat Kone[+]. Pretty good gaming mouse with excellent software and technical support.

I have been a mx518 user for years as it offers THE best tracking period(as long as it was overclocked to 1000mhz) so this is great news. Its really good to see logitech do this ,lets hope the sensor wasn't changed much, they keep the refresh to 1000hz for launch, and they improve the slightly lacking quality of the wire connector going into the mouse degrading over time. I always keep at least one extra brand new mx518 around in case they ever stop making them, now i dont have too.NICE!

My MX 518 was outstanding until it started shutting off at random times for several seconds, often in repeated succession.

I use a wireless Logitech M305, uses one AA every 3+ months, more than adequate, the 200 series wireless is also fine for my meager needs, I had MX5xx series whatever and it went bad a little too quickly and just finally got sick of cords.

I play Rift with this thing, just fine.

Back