Logitech SetPoint Event Manager (UNICODE) Has encountered a problem

ComputerGuy55

System Info:
Windows XP
MSI P67A-C43
intel i5 2400
4GB DDR3
Western Digital 1TB Hard drive.

So I have a very annoying problem with Logitech's SetPoint software that I have been trying to resolve on a customers computer for over a day now.

The customer had a logitech Mouse with an Application Switcher button on top, he liked it but the mouse was having issues. He bought a new one from us, M515, and inside SetPoint you can choose the top button's function, so I switched it to Application Switcher and it was suppose to be all good.

However, the application crashes with the message "Logitech SetPoint Event Manager (UNICODE) Has encountered a problem..." Now the message seems to appear about 15minutes after the system has been running, I see it appear right after the screen save goes away once I move the mouse, but can also appear while it is use.

I have Disabled the AV/Firewall(BitDefender), it didn't seem to show up once it was disabled, I re-enabled it and added the program to the ignore list, allowed it full permissions, added it to exclusion list for On-Access scans and regular scans.

I have reinstalled the SetPoint program, after uninstalling I fully removed any left older files/folders and registries There was one suggestion to delete the MacroMail.dll file, tried that, still didn't help.

I am at a loss for what could resolve the issue. I must mention that I no longer have the customers computer but am still actively looking for a solution, for now, he can start the program back up from the Icon on the Desktop, but it can get annoying, it should just work.

Any suggestions are helpful. I will reply back as soon as I can.

trying to resolve on a customers computer
hmm; most of us are here to assist HOME users and not business.

Suggest you investigate the Event Viewer for better details that can be used for a google search

I know, I assist users here as well from time to time when I know the answer. But just because I work for a company doesn't mean tips cannot be offered.

I have checked Event Viewer and nothing is logged for the Logitech software at all.

I have gotten an e-mail from Logitech that suggested a clean installation with no extra software/services and 2 .ini files disabled from startup. I have just finished re-installing and testing the mouse. Will post back if the errors have stopped.

No problem. I should have stated in the original post that Event Viewer was checked. Very disappointing that Event Viewer has nothing to offer to the help resolve the issue.

Can't believe I didn't see it sooner, but I may have found the problem.

I noticed that it would only ever do it after the screen saver came on, after discussing it with the customer they mentioned that it would never error when in use, but after leaving it for a bit and coming back..

I changed the screen saver that was set and changed it to just the "Blank" one rather then the Flower box.

Since changing it and taking it out of the Screen Saver several times, the error has not appeared since.

I will update on my findings if the issue comes back or is resolved.

Yes there is
CMD Prompt
runas /user:administrator %progarmName%​
but it must be in the path OR
cd to the proper Dir and
runas /user:administrator .\%progarmName%​
used it many times with XP/Pro

Nice to know then. So far no errors have happened since switching the screen saver to Blank, but I will keep this in mind if the error comes back or for future reference.

I solved the problem by changing the ScreenSaver to "none". "blank" still caused the Event Manager to crash on my W7 64 bit machine. Well, at least so far........

I solved the problem by changing the ScreenSaver to "none". "blank" still caused the Event Manager to crash on my W7 64 bit machine. Well, at least so far........

This is a very old thread, is this issue related to the Same software for a Logitech mouse?? If so I recommend following jobeards suggestion of running as admin

Back