Long usb cables not recognized on my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan29121

I have two computers my new desktop computer and my older 2 year old computer. I have a printer connected to a 16ft extension cable and then connected to my computer. From my new computer it does work saying that the device is not recognized. When I plug it into my laptop it works perfectly. Is there anything I can do to make it work on my new computer? I installed the printer drivers on both. Thanks in advance for your help.

In practice, the USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5 inches). For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches).

When you say it's an extension cable.., does that mean 16 ft extension PLUS some other cable length? An even if not, while 16' might meet spec i'd still try a shorter cable since it's approaching the limit.

are you trying the front panel usb ports on the workstation? If so try the rear ports.

As lookinaround stated with maximum lengths etc, i suspect its to do with power not being sufficient over the cable.

Regards

The 16ft extension is connected to another 6ft usb cable. I might agree with the fact that the cable is too long but I tried it on my laptop (same cable and same device) and it worked fine. Also I am using the back panel ports on my computer.

If you exceeded the limit, it doesn't mean it can't work but it does mean it either won't work or won't work reliability. In this case, getting different results tyring two different devices is not unusual.

a powered USB hub could work, but it wouldn't be worth wasting the money if it didn't.

Apart from that, there isn't much that can be suggested apart from moving your printer closer :D

Regards

have you tried attaching with a short cable to one system and then using
File/Print sharing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back