Looking for a good PCI card for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

CptFarnsworth

I recently bought Team Fortress 2, and have had some trouble playing it. It will usually just freeze and crash whenever I try to play. Since the rest of my computer meets it's requirements, I assume that it is my integrated graphics card which is causing problems. A few years ago, my brother tried to purchase a new graphics card for Oblivion. He apparently had done the research, but when the card came, it didn't fit in our PCI slot. I am just looking a for an up-to-date gaming graphics card that will fit my slot.

P.S.-I found i random phone-jack card that fits in one of my PCI slots. The part of the card which you plug in (don't know the term) looks very similar to the plug on this card - newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131082

Let me know whether that card will work in my computer or not.

That Powercolor card is a PCI card and should fit any PCI slot whether yours or your brother's. I can't account for it not physically fitting into your brother's PCI slot unless you were mistakenly trying to fit it into an AGP or PCI-E slot instead.

After looking at my motherboard, I think that my computer has a very rare type of AGP slot. I might be wrong because I'm a little new at this, but I think that's why my brother gave up before. I don't think he realized that graphics cards are available for PCi slots.

What is your motherboard make and model? Or if it was made by a major manufacturer like Dell, HP, Compaq, etc., what brand and model?

It's a Dell motherboard. Made in 2005. Beyond that, I wouldn't know where to look. Also, would that card that I linked be sufficient for the type of games I'm playing?

Edit: I just figured out that my brother bought a PCI-E X16 card for a X1 slot. No wonder, lol. Ok, so since I do have a PCI-E slot, should I stick with just a PCI graphics card? Because I found a PCI-E X1 slot card at
- newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161197
And was wondering which would be the better buy.

Give us the service tag off the back of the Dell, and we call tell you excellent choices that will work well. The big problem is the power supply which may not have enough eumpfhh to handle some of the better video graphics cards. But you can also upgrade the power supply as well.

The motherboard is a Rev A01
-Service Tag is 4940Y81
My Computer was purchased at the tail end of 2005, so I think the power supply is good. The only thing that's really preventing me from playing these games is the video card. I did some research on it after we purchased it, and found that it really wasn't game-oriented. Unfortunately, my family really didn't care, lol.

I have some new info on my computer:
-2.8 Ghz processor (Intel Pentium 4 521)
-Core speed is about 2793 Mhz
-Manufacturer is Dell, Model: 0JC474
-Memory: DDR2, 1024 Mbytes, Dual Channels
-1024 MB RAM
I still can't find much info on my power supply though...

Nice computer, for a fairly low end unit.
It is a Dell 3100/E310 built December 01, 2005 with 2.8 GHz Prescott processor.
Can take 2 GB of dDr2 667 MHz of memory, and will need all of that for a good video graphics card. It has a 533 Front Side Bus,
It was usually sold with Intel onboard or integrated video 910GL or ATI TVT2 Wonder integrated video.... though it will take a PCI-Express video card.
Usually has a Hitachi 160 GB hard drive, and came with 512 PC400 memory. You will need to replace that if you still have it.
The power supply, Dell says, is adequat to take these video graphics upgrades:
nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS; ATI Radeon HD 3650; nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX; nVidia GeForce 98 GX2; nVidia GeForce 9600 GT; nVidia 8600 GT, and nVidia 9600 GT. Or equal, of course.
Be sure you have the full 2 GB of memory for any of these. If you have blue screens or black screens, or intermittent shut downs, you will need to upgrade the power supply to 500 watts. That should not happen, but it might.

Good luck.

Everything you need to know about the Dell power supply is written on the label of the power supply. You may have to take it out of the case to read it or copy it to a photo image.

My power supply runs at 115V. I tried switching it to its other option last night (230V), which turned out to be an unfortunate learning experience, lol. So for the moment, I'm on my laptop as I let my power supply recover from maxing its power voltage out. And yes, there is a label on the power supply. For the moment, my current power supply runs at 115V. I just want to know which of those cards my computer can support.

Your PC should support either card. The thing I would be concerned with is if that little incident with the power supply blew out anything else besides the power supply itself.

It seems that the power supply incident affected only the power supply itself, and very little at that. Luckily, I turned the computer off before any other parts of the computer were injured. Even though, we are now thinking of buying a low-cost 500W power supply just for a replacement in general.

There are no visual tests, and only a vew video graphics cards manufacturers offer a diagnostic set. So the proof is in the podding. If it doesn't work well, replace it... or send it back if under warranty. They can tell if the damage was caused by a power-related failure most of the time.

Is the 230 not for countries that use outlets other than 110? I heard that 110v wastes electricity.

Check this one

Topic Reply
PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series
The choice of professional gamers, the PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series sound card delivers the ultimate PC gaming audio experience.

Umm, sorry Zipperman but I didn't see ANY point in that post. Not only was that a sound card and not a graphics card, but I think he is, at this time, slightly more worrired about whether anything is fried/damaged or not....lol.

You need to be sorry now

mopar man said:
Umm, sorry Zipperman but I didn't see ANY point in that post. Not only was that a sound card and not a graphics card, but I think he is, at this time, slightly more worrired about whether anything is fried/damaged or not....lol.
The Topic is PCI card.I also started my post,
Topic reply
It was going off topic.Gameing also requires good sound,:monkey:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back