Looking to buy a new Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tehoste

I want to get a new video card but I'm not sure what i should get. My budget is around the $400 to $500 range. I'd also like to go ATI Crossfire because of my current card. Your advice you be greatly appreciated.

CPU
quad core 9550 @ stock
Motherboard
Gigabyte EP45
Memory
4gb corsair @ 800mhz
Current Videocard
ATI Radeon 4850 HD

Hi Tehoste,
why not add a second HD 4850 if you really want a crossfire system/ two 4850's in CFX is a rather powerful arrangement. I have three HD 4850's in CF on a 3x pcie board as you do, and it is a lot of horsepower. 4850's have dropped to around $100 here in the states. im just thinking that if you go buy another $400-500 on Graphic cards, your really not going to see appreciable performance increase, unless you are gaming at some abnormally huge resolution.

If you could find a buyer for your 4850 for $100 then you could upgrade to dual 4870 or this One and that would be rather good upgrade IMO

What sort of PSU are you going to run this on?

The XFX card is an excellent choice BTW, but you can get a Visiontek card far cheaper here instead.

EDIT: Forget that link, get it from Newegg.ca instead. It sells for cheapest there.

lol rage look at the pic of his computer he has an 850w corsair in there plenty of power. I would just go with the duel 4870 cards that rage suggested and sell your 4850.

lol rage look at the pic of his computer he has an 850w corsair in there plenty of power. I would just go with the duel 4870 cards that rage suggested and sell your 4850.

Thats the card I suggested. And yes it is cheaper the one rage posted but its an American site so yeah it will be cheaper than a Canadian site. So far its 3 votes for dual 4870s

Ad...Klepto..
gentlemen, I think your forgetting something.....

My budget is around the $400 to $500 range. I'd also like to go ATI Crossfire because of my current card

there has been no mention of what resolutions that Tehoste games at, so there is a fighting chance that unless he has(or going to) run out and purchase a 30' monitor,
2x 4870's are going to be overkill anyway. And his budget he gave was in fact $400-$500. So I submit this GPU solution. a 0-60 in 2.5, 3200 SPU's, mach five with his hair on fire, 4 teraflop, 4 alarm, have to put sand bags in the trunk to get traction,1024 bit, quad CrossfireX on two PCB's graphic solution:

This X2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102809

....im kidding (kind of) would need a 1k PSU.. fun to think about though ...eh?
seriously, if he is gaming on a 22" monitor, I think the 4850's make more sense. if he's on a 24" or above then the 4870's do.Keep in mind that the higher amount of ram and the speed of it are the differences between the 4850 and the 4870 and doesn't show its usefulness until you get to 1920 x 1080 and above. and if he is gaming on a 22" then the additional 4850 is more useful and certainly much more economical. unless he is just going for bragging rights....then forget all of this. :) here check out some benches in games with the CF 4850's up against CF 4870's. (and the frame rates have gotten significantly higher since the time this was done ,due to ATI Driver development) so there are even more superfluous frames now, worth the extra $200? you be the judge. :)

Red, I'll be getting a 24' monitor. The budget that I mentioned is for the video cards only. And if i do sell my current card that's maybe another $100 towards whatever.

lol well i know if i was buying new cards i would get the 4870s over the 4850 if it was supposed to be an upgrade but hell if ya have 400 or 500 to spend might just hold out and wait on the new cards that will come out soon.

lol well i know if i was buying new cards i would get the 4870s over the 4850 if it was supposed to be an upgrade but hell if ya have 400 or 500 to spend might just hold out and wait on the new cards that will come out soon.
I agree with the 4870s over 50s, but when will these new cards come out? I've got a very impatient personality lol.
And I'm probably going to be ordering my monitor sometime next week

Unless you want to wait, don't. Simple, either you want to upgrade and do it now or wait, but when you wait it can be a very long time. And when that new card comes out, oh well the second revision is just a couple months away that will be faster and more power efficient. Its a computer, it will be out of date in under 5 years, nothing you can do about it. So go all or nothing now and in a year see where you go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back