Looking to upgrade my monitor

Hey guys,

I've been looking to purchase a new monitor to replace my current one, but I have been struggling on what monitor to purchase. I was also doing a bit of research, and lots of people were saying to buy a TN or IPS panel, and until today, I had no idea there were different types of LCD panels, so I'm not sure what to get. I'm planning to use the monitor for pretty much everything, gaming, browsing, watching movies, etc. My budget is around $350, and I've been looking for a 27 inch monitor.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

IPS panels are more expensive and generally for graphic design professionals or photo enthusiasts who require accurate colour reproduction, and they also offer far superior viewing angles. For you I think a TN panel is fine, in any case I doubt you will be able to get a 27in IPS panel for $350.

Do you want a glossy or a matte monitor? If your computer is near a window or light source then I would strongly suggest a matte one, otherwise it's personal preference.

Asus generally make some inexpensive and decent monitors.

Honestly, I don't mind if it is either glossy or matte. I'm just more concerned about the quality of the monitor.

I've been looking at some ASUS monitors like the VE278Q or VK278Q, but I read that people had some pretty bad backlight bleeding when they bought them. Anyone have these monitors experience bad bleeding? If it is just minimal then I will consider purchasing it.

I've also been a long time fan of Samsung, and I was looking at SyncMaster S27A350H or even the S27A550H but the latter is quite expensive. Anyone have any experience with these monitors?

I am willing to pay up to $450 if it a monitor justifies it, but I would prefer not to spend that much.

There really is a big difference between glossy and matte monitors, you can have a great quality panel but if the only thing you can see is your reflection it's kind of distracting (prime example is the Apple cinema displays). But then some people like glossy monitors.

The Samsung S27A350H looks nice, not really sure what the difference is between that and the more expensive S27A550H. I wouldn't pay more than $350 for a 1920x1080p TN panel. $450 is definitely IPS territory.

I bought the Samsung S27A350 and returned it after 2 weeks of suffering with it. Instead, I went with an older Samsung P2770HD and was much happier... things no longer look so washed out. I initially chose the A350 since it was touted as a superior LED monitor, but even in the store it looked a bit washed out to me. I assumed I'd be able to calibrate that out, but wasn't successful. Both of these monitors are in that price range and at least with the older 2770HD I also get a TV tuner built in. I would've liked to have tried the A550, A750 and even the A950... but I knew they would'be out of the price range for what I had to spend immediately. The reason for the new monitor purchase was my 24" M-PVA died on me and I knew I didn't have the money to replace it with an equivalent monitor.

The color isn't quite as good as my original monitor, but it's good enough to hold me over for the next couple of years till I can get something decent again.

Ah that's a shame about the S27A350H, but thanks for the input. It seems the 2770HD is another popular one from Samsung and I've been looking at that one too.

I've read that 1920x1080 resolutions on a 27 inch monitor can leave the image a little stretched. I don't know how old this issue is or if it even exists still, but does it really make a difference between 1920x1080 and 1920x1200?

Other than that, I think I may just end up buying the ASUS monitor then and pray it doesn't have too much bleeding. Any users with Acer monitors? They seem pretty decent, but I haven't read up too much on them.

If any users have any recommendations, please let me know. I plan on buying one sometime next week. Again, thanks for the input LNCPapa, I appreciate it!

It wont' be stretched - the dimensional ratio of the both those Samsungs is 16:9 - as is the resolution. Not sure who fed you that stretched "truth"... but it isn't accurate. Sure, I miss using a 16:10 monitor, but my 16:10 monitors have dimensional ratios of 16:10. Nothing will look stretched unless things are configured improperly.

1920x1080 does feel like a fairly low resolution for 27 inches though... but I'm forced to make due since getting the Dell 2711 will set one back $1000 and if I were going to spend that much I may as well toss in the extra couple hundred and get the 3011 which is my current dream monitor anyway.

Both nice monitors bandit, but outside of the constraints set by the op. Still probably worth mentioning though.

Back