Looking to upgrade parts $800 budget

ComputerGod91

Ok so I'm looking into getting some new parts because my stuff is starting to show age. I like playing on high-ultra settings in games but some of the newer games I have problems with. So I want to upgrade and get a new motherboard, CPU, CPU fan, 8gb RAM, and a case. For the case and CPU fan I'm wanting them to run as quiet as possible. My budget is $800 so try to not go over on that. If you think I need to replace my PSU or GPU or anything else just let me know otherwise I'm just going to take those out of my current comp and put them into the new case with the new parts. If I forget to list a part just ask and I'll list it.

My specs are:
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium
4gb Patriot RAM
Corsair 720 watt PSU
HIS Radeon HD 5770 1gb memory
[LEFT][FONT=inherit]Intel [/FONT]Core 2 Duo @ 3.0ghz[/LEFT]
Gigabyte Motherboard model EP45-UD3P
600gb Hard drive

Ok so I'm looking into getting some new parts because my stuff is starting to show age. I like playing on high-ultra settings in games but some of the newer games I have problems with. So I want to upgrade and get a new motherboard, CPU, CPU fan, 8gb RAM, and a case. For the case and CPU fan I'm wanting them to run as quiet as possible. My budget is $800 so try to not go over on that. If you think I need to replace my PSU or GPU or anything else just let me know otherwise I'm just going to take those out of my current comp and put them into the new case with the new parts. If I forget to list a part just ask and I'll list it.

I noticed you wanted to keep your GPU from your previous system. Unfortunately... You will not see that much of a performance increase for games by upgrading all parts except your card. With that said.. I have put together a little build within your budget with a new card included.

CASE: CoolerMaster HAF 912
MOBO: [FONT=helvetica]ASRock Z77 Pro4-M[/FONT]
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 8GB 1600
GPU: Asus HD 7850
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo

All comes to about $760 before shipping.

Cool. Thanks for the help. So you say that without upping my GPU I won't much see a difference? Ah well. The only thing that worries me is the motherboard you linked. It only has 2 reviews on it. Don't know how big a deal that is. Also the case looks a bit odd.

So how big of an upgrade would you say this is from my current PC?

The only thing that worries me is the motherboard you linked
While the board does not have a lot of reviews. The ones it did received were good. Also, the board came from one of the recommended builds created by the Techspot staff. I am sure they wouldn't recommend a bad product.

Also the case looks a bit odd.
While the case does lack in looks. It does provide great features for the price. Here is a review on the case.
https://www.techspot.com/review/316-coolermater-haf-912/page4.html

So how big of an upgrade would you say this is from my current PC?
This will definitely be a nice improvement over your current system. The performance increases should be noticeable in all applications and games.

While the board does not have a lot of reviews. The ones it did received were good. Also, the board came from one of the recommended builds created by the Techspot staff. I am sure they wouldn't recommend a bad product.
You make a good point.

While the case does lack in looks. It does provide great features for the price. Here is a review on the case.
https://www.techspot.com/review/316-coolermater-haf-912/page4.html

Yea, it does have some nice features to it. I watched the video on newegg. Plus it has 2 fans in it where as the case I got only has one that is really loud.

This will definitely be a nice improvement over your current system. The performance increases should be noticeable in all applications and games.
That's good to hear. I'm really hoping that this build will allow me to play Witcher 2 on settings around mid-high without FPS issues. As I am currently running it on lowest and it still has FPS issues. So All that is missing is the PSU and the Harddrive and I can just swap those over from my other comp and everything will be fine?

Witcher 2 is a very, very demanding game, but you will probably get decent performance from the rig Blkfx1 suggested to you. I just recommended a very similar build to a buddy of mine to get him back up and running (3570k, ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, 8GB of Ripjaws, CM 212 Evo) and he kept his old 5870. Everything is running quite well for him now, though he doesn't have Witcher 2 to test. If you're looking for a slightly larger case the 922 is also excellent and very roomy.

Windows configures itself specifically for the hardware it's been installed on.
In fact, you will probably need to contact micrsoft and "switch computers" so that the license is valid for your new one, though I can't remember if that's possible to do using an OEM version, it may be only retail.

Um you need do nothing more than reinstall the OS, and make sure you have only one active copy of Windows running.

Um you need do nothing more than reinstall the OS, and make sure you have only one active copy of Windows running.
I think that's what you'll need to do... However, if you have problems I think they can be resolved easily by telling microsoft that you've uninstalled and moved it to another computer, which is perfectly within the license agreement.

What do you mean have only one copy of windows running? If I'm re-installing my copy of windows I don't see how I can have more then one running

Right, you say you are reinstalling. But the hardware is a lot different. Microsoft doesn't just automatically know the previous hardware you had it installed on is not in use. So to them it could very well look like you are running the same single license on 2 different computers. You may not get flagged on it, but you could, in that case you have to deal with reactivating Windows when MS thinks you are cheating them. Like HK said, you just tell MS what happened and all is cool, last time I did this it was over the phone through an automated system.

Oh ok. So then if it acts like its a new computer then I'll have to call them and go through that. I got it. So I have another question. If you ever change any parts out of your computer and don't reinstall windows does that cause problems? Cause I've swapped out my PSU and GPU before with this computer and I never knew that the OS knows the difference.

I'm also not sure exactly how windows decides, but I think that it does need to be a core component, namely the motherboard usually. I believe that even the CPU is okay.

If you ever change any parts out of your computer and don't reinstall windows does that cause problems? Cause I've swapped out my PSU and GPU before with this computer and I never knew that the OS knows the difference.

I've seen something on how Microsoft decides, but it isn't one sole component, or even 2. I don't remember it exactly, but it factors in stuff like a MAC address change (network card change), motherboard, cpu, not sure what else. Many times you can do hardware swaps, I'm about to try (tomorrow when it comes in) swapping motherboards but keeping the CPU, GPU, HD, and DVD drive. We'll see if I have to reactivate. :D

So can someone recommend a different GPU that is equivalent or better then the one the first guy linked? I don't know when that one is coming in stock again. Although I do have about another month before I buy all the parts and I have auto notify on.

Back