Lost your Intel Inside sticker? Get a new one for free

mongeese

Staff
PSA: Intel runs a program to send Intel Inside stickers to anyone without one that has an Intel processor. So if you've got a spare spot on your case or laptop for a shiny little holographic decal and you'd like one, why not ask?

Intel has run this program as part of the Intel Inside scheme for a long time, but it's now come to the forefront of the Intel fandom after a Redditor sought to test it. His processor didn't come with a sticker because it was second-hand, but fortunately, Intel was happy to send him one.

According to the Intel Processor Label Replacement Request Form -- yes, there's a dedicated form and landing page -- you only need an invoice or receipt as proof of purchase. Failing that, a screenshot of the processor's ID within the Intel System Support Utility will also suffice.

Intel will send you the appropriate sticker, be it Core i7, Pentium, Xeon, or whatever else, within a matter of days, according to Redditors. If you live outside the US, there might be an import tariff to the tune of about a dollar.

Most chipmakers have stickers of some kind or another, but the Intel Inside program is the original. It was started in 1991 and was one of the first attempts by a hardware manufacturer to build a brand name for itself among the general public. At the time, analysts thought people weren't interested in what was inside their computers.

But Intel executives loved it and gave the program a $250 million budget to be divided up between Intel's own ads and deals with OEMs to add Intel Inside branding to their marketing. By 1992, over 500 OEMs had joined the program.

And the rest is history. Intel is reported to have shrunk the program over the last five years -- though not publicly, so to what extent is difficult to gauge -- but you can still find their stickers on all sorts of stuff.

Permalink to story.

Why would someone want an ad on your computer? Computers look more asthetic without those ad stickers.
Well, as the only person who looks INSIDE your computer should be you (or someone you've paid to repair it), it's not really advertising - you've ALREADY bought and paid for the Intel CPU.

Nowadays, I would guess the purpose would be to make sure your CPU is genuine (assuming you got it second-hand) - and not a Chinese ripoff... As I suspect this would be a VERY small minority of people, it makes sense that Intel has quietly decided to shrink this program.

I know right? I was once asked a salesperson to remove the sticker from a notebook I just bought. They half-yelling suggested me not to remove them, and then looked at me like I'm insane..

I removed them off my laptop with a hair dryer. You just heat them a little and they come off easily. A little bit of glue is left, it's easy to deal with it with a paper.

Well, as the only person who looks INSIDE your computer should be you (or someone you've paid to repair it), it's not really advertising - you've ALREADY bought and paid for the Intel CPU.

Nowadays, I would guess the purpose would be to make sure your CPU is genuine (assuming you got it second-hand) - and not a Chinese ripoff... As I suspect this would be a VERY small minority of people, it makes sense that Intel has quietly decided to shrink this program.

Talking about Chinese rip offs, I haven't heard about fake Intel or AMD CPUs.

And talking about computers. If its a laptop, then a lot of people watches into it. :)

Over the years I've built several PCs and have used Intel and AMD CPUs. Although I suppose it doesn't really matter that much, the stickers help me remember which is which.

Apparently was a brilliant campaign idea - The average punter often bought on the basis of that sticker - add in illegal and dubious practices shutting down competition etc . Intel was on a winner .

Lots of products and marks, makers names , date etc - no sure who first advertised something - if if doesn't say X then it's not the real deal . Don't let that salesmen swindle you - look for the Y sticker .

Deception . counterfeits have probably been around since barter started .
Still think those stories where people swap whole animal species as pets - Mammals ( fish, birds, insects too easy )

Good lord! Are people needing these, about 5 years old and getting a sticker after seeing a doctor?
FIRST thing I do with a new laptop, is carefully remove ALL of those stupid stickers.

Why would someone want an ad on your computer? Computers look more asthetic without those ad stickers.
To be honest, when working on some else's computer and before you even touch it, it's handy to know what they are running... particularly if it's a sticker that says it's a celery, i3, i5, i7, or i9... many people I deal with only know that it runs on some kind of electricity. It's handy to quickly check if their potato is even worth looking at before firing it up.

I loved the stickers as a kid, when the program was new. I even cut the Intel Inside logos from a magazine ad and glued them to my calculator and my Am386SX. Here in Eastern Europe only the rich kids had Intel, the rest of us had AMDs or Cyrixes. These days, I hate the stickers, especially old ones, it's hard to get the glue off the chassis without discoloring or melting the plastic.

If those stickers are removed, you lose out on horsepower.

Everyone knows you get more horsepower when you add stickers to your car. The same applies to computers! Do not remove your stickers! Add more for more horsepower!

I remove all the Dealer stickers from my car too.
In Switzerland it's casual for people to buy most enhanced cars, but they remove all of the stickers that has links to its version (best engine, all wheel drive, best audio, best HUD display and so on). All of this because none would expect how rich they are and people would feel comfortable about them.

Imagine someone has cabinets like Antec Torque, Antec Striker Mini, Lian Li O11 Dynamic, Cougar Conquer, or someone builds desk pc with custom water loop, then what is the use of these stickers? Aren't the cabinets and build I mentioned more eye candy than a smol holographic sticker?

To be honest, when working on some else's computer and before you even touch it, it's handy to know what they are running... particularly if it's a sticker that says it's a celery, i3, i5, i7, or i9... many people I deal with only know that it runs on some kind of electricity. It's handy to quickly check if their potato is even worth looking at before firing it up.
You're lucky. The people I know usually forget to plug it in, charge it, etc.

“I want you all to know that I don’t care about the stickers on my products” is what I’m hearing in the comments here lol.

Nobody cares, they’re stickers. Take them off if you don’t like them. Nobody’s going to pat you on the back for it though.

Back