Lots of BSOD's and lock-ups, definately hardware problem, need help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, this is my first post here, and I am quite frustrated by my computer problem lately. In order to cut a long story short, I have the PC since mid 2005, and it ran superbly till now (as in 2-4 weeks ago). The last month, I have been, installing, configuring, reinstalling, trying different drivers, etc. to put it short, I've done everything I could in order to find out exactly where the problems comes from, and at last I am certain it's a hardware related problem, however, during the last few days I've tried to pinpoint the exact failing component at no avail, so here I am, asking for a bit of help in reading my memory dumps.

My PC has the following configuration:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS Service Pack 2
0CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
Motherboard: Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
System Memory: 1024 MB - 2x OCZ4001024ELDCPE-K 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (2.0-3-2-5 @ 200 MHz)
Video Adapter: Asus V9999/TD GeForce 6800 128 MB DDR2 256 Bit AGP 8x
Audio Adapter: Creative SB0350 Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
Disk Drive: Seagate ST340014AS (40 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
Disk Drive: Maxtor 6B200M0 (200 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
Optical Drive: TEAC DV-W516GB
PSU: Thermaltake Purepower ATX 12V 2.0 - 460W
Case: Thermaltake Lanmoto VA1000 BWA

As a note, the crashing does occur all the time (however in a few minutes when running 3D applications or games, and at several hours when not).

So far I have tested both HDD's (installed windows alternately on both), I also ran the memory sticks one at a time, I also cleaned the CPU and heatsink yesterday (replaced the conductive paste also), which lowered the running temperature back to normal (it was running pretty hot 60C - 70C since the problem started).

If they help, I took the components temp right before a crash while running a game and they were:

Motherboard 37 °C (around 33 no load)
CPU 54 °C (around 41 no load)
GPU 57 °C (around 52 no load)
GPU Memory 66 °C (around 51 no load)

The voltages are all in limits as well (+- 0.1 to 0.2).

Frankly I suspect the motherboard or the video card, one of these 2, I will also run more tests on the memory, if any more information is needed I will be glad to give it. I am also attaching the dumps, and mention again that the PC was fine for 1 year and a half (and I really stressed it out, since it's a gaming platform), luckily enough I still have warranty on all the components.

Thanks in advance, and hope for some answers pretty soon as I have a lot of exams these weeks and I really need the PC.

P.S. The previous errors of which dumps I don't have anymore were usually PAGE FAULT errors and IRQ errors in different modules.

Attachments

• Mini012307-01.txt
    88 KB · Views: 5
Don't see it. All good equipment.
Remove everything you can to make it a more simple boot...
What we find useful is to go back to basics first. Using an MS-DOS, W98SE, or WME boot floppy disc. Start with power supply, video card, one memory module, try a boot. No work? Try other memory modules? Then add things until it fails.
I would suspect the graphics card or memory. Can you trade out the video card?
If no floppy drive, still try to reduce it. Do you have an extra hard drive on which you can install Windows 98? Then alternate memory modules?
Does it boot and fail in Safe Mode?
Do you have a flash drive plugged in? I have recently seen this problem with a wildly defective flash drive plugged in.

unfortunately your minidump logs are unreadable... post any new minidumps here and i'll have a look at it.

Meanwhile, test ram by using Memtest. Follow the link in my signature below.

To fully test your HDD, download the diagnostic utility by Seagate and run that. If any errors present itself, backup all your data asap and be prepared to buy a replacement or send it in for an RMA. (if you still have time from the 5yr warranty). This can be downloaded from seagate's website.
http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

Meanwhile, clean your PC from dust, as your temps are slightly higher than they should be, meaning that you should clean it to bring it down a bit. Using a compressed air source is the most effective. While you're cleaning, check your motherboard and other components for signs of damage or burns etc.

well, a few more things to add.. first of all the system fails only when under a lot of stress, like games, with that said, probably if i go back to basics i will waste a lot of time since the less things on the computer, the less stress on it and therefore may run a very long time before a crash (time is something i don't really have now, nor the resources to install an older windows). In fact the best thing i could do is to switch the components one by one, however i don't have from where to borrow them and when i go with the PC back at the service shop i want to go only with the defective component if possible, that would save time for everybody, and + they will be unable to argue on the reliability of the piece of hardware. I seen quite a lot of rejecting replacing deficit equipment at retailers due to arguments that the problem is not obvious (when in fact is). Also i have no flash drives, never used any either.

However there is a step to the story i may have forgot to add. For about 1 month, i had the system over-clocked. It was done nice and easy, 5%, tests then 10% and tests for MB and CPU. While doing this memory options were all set on Auto or Standard, only after i saw the PC runs stable at 10% i also enabled the Enhanced Mode and Turbo Performance for memory, it ran good, then also over-clocked the video card by 10% in steps. All in all said, the system was stable and it ran good (few lock-ups but at an interval of days, or weeks). I also did very intense gaming while the system was over-clocked, and it went on just fine. After about 1.5 to 2 months i set all the system back to standard as i ran into Titan Quest which didn't like the over-clocking. The system went on stable and fine for another 1 - 1.5 months and only then problems begun.

That's why all my bets are on the video adapter (probably the only one struggling with latest games because of only 128MB of memory), more likely the video ram which always attained the highest temperature of all components (lack of sinks for memory on the TD 6800).

That being said, I'll gladly await suggestions or confirmations for my current problem.

Also did a dumpchk on my 4 dumps, the (very short) results are as following:

1. The bugcheck was: 0x10000050 (0xe724d816, 0x00000000, 0xe724d816, 0x00000002).
Probably caused by: sysaudio.sys (sysaudio+32a2)
2. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbfb46045, 0xb9ec5a64, 0x00000000).
Probably caused by: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+173045
3. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbf8083f1, 0xf70a8ca4, 0x00000000).
Probably caused by: win32k.sys (win32k+83f1)
4. The bugcheck was: 0x10000050 (0xa5712055, 0x00000001, 0xf71a8dd1, 0x00000000).
Probably caused by: hardware (ks+dd1)

problem solved, i did another memtest today with both sticks in and at 73% of the first pass i had only 270.000+ errors. And I thought OCZ are ok... well i'm off with Mushkin as my next aquisition.

Kingston or Crucial.. both are more reliable... Too often see your problem on memory from OCZ that is pushed. When you look at their modules over time, you see that they are not alike... made in different plants at different times... OCZ is owned by a consortium in Shanghai, and is merely a marketing name... They use the Canadian OCZ name (which has only been in existence sinc 2002) a part of their marketing ploys, being certain to get good reviews from such outfits as Tom's Hardware. Mushkin is becoming increasingly unreliable as more of it is out there. We rarely see failures from Crucial or Kingston, or even Corsair (which is Samsung) in our shops.

thanks a lot for your help guys, unfortunately the shop from where i bought my PC only works with OCZ, Twinmos, Kingmax, Kingston and PQI memory, so i'll phone them and see what i can come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back