Low demand for iPhone 12 Mini prompts Apple to cut production by 20 percent

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Editor's take: For the record, I kind of liked the compact, throwback design of the iPhone 12 Mini. Smartphones these days are becoming unwieldy, especially if you use a decently protective case. However, I guess I'm in the minority since recent reports indicate the demand for smaller iPhones is rather lackluster.

Nikkei Asia reports that Apple is scaling back iPhone 12 production by more than 20 percent. The most significant portion of the cuts will be for the iPhone 12 Mini. Anonymous sources claim that lower than expected demand for the Mini is to blame.

Last December, Apple told suppliers it wanted to be ready to ship as many as 96 million units in the first half of 2021. that total included the iPhone 12 line as well as iPhone 11 and SE models. It has now adjusted production goals to about 75 million units.

"Demand for the first half of 2021 is not as high as people were thinking at the end of last year," said one of the insiders.

It's not all bad news, though. Seventy-five million units is still a bit higher than what Apple shipped in H1 2020. Furthermore, it has not altered its plans to produce 230 million units in 2021, an 11-percent increase over last year's numbers.

Nikkei also notes that in the face of pandemic-related shortages, Apple aggressively pursued component acquisition. Initial estimates were probably slightly padded in an attempt to procure more hard-to-get parts.

Image credit: Mr.Mikla

Permalink to story.

I really hope they continue to offer a mini flavor in future iPhones. I recently switched from a Pixel 4 XL to an iPhone 12 mini and I love it. You know what I miss the most about small smart phones? The one-handed usability... for that reason I will never go back to a large phone. I can easily swipe through apps, send quick texts and still have complete control over my phone, no worries about dropping it. That said, I admit I don't watch movies or play many games on my phone, I use a TV and my PC for both activities respectively.

If apple products were only selling to fiscally responsible adults, apple would be only worth half its current market cap and student loan debt in the USA would be less than $1 Trillion.

Amen to that! I see people that I know, walking around with a brand new iPhone EVERY year. I don't know why some people have to spend money, faster than they get it, then complain when they have no money.

Probably because the mini isn't mini? And it's significantly overpriced compared to the SE.

If I needed a new phone I'd buy the SE, but I expect my iPhone 7 will last at least 2 or 3 more years.

Im honestly surprised by this news.

The apple rabid cult members and the normal ones were demanding smaller iphones.

But I guess they were spoiled by the price of the SE.

For me from 5.5 - 5.8 in. is about right. Larger phones are nice, but not in your pocket. I don't care for the tall and narrow either. I don't need to feel like I'm at a movie theater when trying to watch a video. 16:7 or equivalent aspect ratio should do fine. What about Amoled display? Use to be more prevalent in mid range phones. Now it's a cadillac feature that's going to cost ya.

I really hope they continue to offer a mini flavor in future iPhones. I recently switched from a Pixel 4 XL to an iPhone 12 mini and I love it. You know what I miss the most about small smart phones? The one-handed usability... for that reason I will never go back to a large phone. I can easily swipe through apps, send quick texts and still have complete control over my phone, no worries about dropping it. That said, I admit I don't watch movies or play many games on my phone, I use a TV and my PC for both activities respectively.

Same here! Well said.

Amen to that! I see people that I know, walking around with a brand new iPhone EVERY year. I don't know why some people have to spend money, faster than they get it, then complain when they have no money.

It's a status symbol, both for outsiders and for them themselves. They don't "feel" poor, and don't "appear" poor to others.

Of all the 100s of Android Phones brands.. there's not even 1 small form factor phone from any android manufacturer that is having a light-weight,pocket-friendly phone . hell it cant even fit ur Pant pocket and could sit down with it..

iphone 12 mini form factor.
Dimension =131.5 x 64.2 x 7.4 mm (5.18 x 2.53 x 0.29 in)
Weight =135 g (4.76 oz)

the last time I saw this form factor in Android was in like 2015??
Nowdays Android smart phones are like 180-200g or higher(weight of powerbank..eh) which I fell is Quite heavy and also very uncomfortable to use in 1 hand use.
the most compact one is maybe samsung s20 (151.7 x 69.1 x 7.9 mm Weight =163 g)?? its okay I guess but not compact enough I m afraid.

Good thing Apple is still continuing the Trend of small Handy pocket-size phones. Hope they will stick to it even if the sales volume is low.
Hoping one day even Android manufactures will make a real mini one.

I think it's at an awkward size/price point. The SE (gen 2) is $400, and smaller at 4.7"; the 12 Mini is $700 and 5.4". If you want a smaller iPhone, the SE makes sense; if you want a less expensive one, the SE also makes sense. You have to really want that intermediate size for the 12 Mini to make sense, or care about 5G more than the size, which I suspect is not very common at this early stage of 5G deployment.

If my SE (gen 1) needed to be replaced, I'd probably buy the SE (gen 2). I see no reason to buy a 5.4" phone when I'm already happy with the form factor of my 4" phone.

Of all the 100s of Android Phones brands.. there's not even 1 small form factor phone from any android manufacturer that is having a light-weight,pocket-friendly phone . hell it cant even fit ur Pant pocket and could sit down with it..

iphone 12 mini form factor.
Dimension =131.5 x 64.2 x 7.4 mm (5.18 x 2.53 x 0.29 in)
Weight =135 g (4.76 oz)

the last time I saw this form factor in Android was in like 2015??
Nowdays Android smart phones are like 180-200g or higher(weight of powerbank..eh) which I fell is Quite heavy and also very uncomfortable to use in 1 hand use.
the most compact one is maybe samsung s20 (151.7 x 69.1 x 7.9 mm Weight =163 g)?? its okay I guess but not compact enough I m afraid.

Good thing Apple is still continuing the Trend of small Handy pocket-size phones. Hope they will stick to it even if the sales volume is low.
Hoping one day even Android manufactures will make a real mini one.

Sony Xperia 5 ii

Because Some People are Stupid...!

It is quite simple, reading the web is easier on a large screen. And the ability to hold a small phone with one hand is not enough for the most people to choose a small one instead of a typical 6+ inch device.
I have large hands and it is very uncomfortable holding note 10+ with one hand while I hold a coffe in the other. But I could nto last one day trying to read web pages on iphone mini.
I bet a lot of companies are dreaming of creating a functional thin and narrow device that can double in size for reading or watching videos. I watched most foldable devices reviews or news.
They are not there yet. They re f**ing fat and break to easily.

Please don’t, these giant phones are a nightmare. I recently purchased a mini and refuse to purchase anything bigger moving forward. While Apple may of over produced these devices, they shouldn’t stop production entirely.

Turns out people begging for smaller versions of phones went out and bought 6.5 inch phones anyway.

because SE is cheaper. People thought if they get a smaller iphone the price will be lower, and they were kind of right, but if you want cheaper you are going to get >6" into your...pocket. There just isn't any budget phone or mid range phone that came out in 2020/21 that's both under 6" and is worth a damn, and that's the current market. Instagram, tiktok and all the childish things that kids use and kids don't care for smaller screen.

According to numbers posted by WCCFTECH the Iphone 12 Mini sold around 14.5 million units while the iPhone 12 Pro Max sold 16.2 million. Why do people make it sound like they sold hardly any? 14 million is a lot.

Since when have small phones ever been in huge demand? People want as large a screen as they can get and have always been that way.

I actually don't find it shocking that people aren't lining up three-deep to pay four figures for a tiny phone.

Probably because the mini isn't mini? And it's significantly overpriced compared to the SE.

If I needed a new phone I'd buy the SE, but I expect my iPhone 7 will last at least 2 or 3 more years.

FYI, the12 mini is noticeable smaller than the SE2 and slightly bigger than the SE1 but with bigger battery.

I´m on the same situation as you but with an iPhone 8, I´m not planning to upgrade anytime soon if I can avoid it, but the "mini" would be my go to if needed.

I’d be willing to bet it has still outsold the Galaxy S20 ultra. It may not have done well for an iPhone but iPhones are by a long way the best selling premium smartphones at the moment.

Back