Lumia 930 Review: Nokia's best smartphone yet

Scorpus

Staff member

nokia lumia review microsoft nokia windows phone 8.1 lumia 930

The majority of Nokia/Microsoft’s smartphone business focuses on mid-range and entry-level products, with devices like the Lumia 520 proving especially popular. However, every year the company releases a few flagships to compete with the likes of the iPhones, Galaxys and Ones, usually in several form factors to attract a range of buyers. Last year, for example, we saw the release of the Lumia 925, the large-screened Lumia 1520, and the 41-megapixel Lumia 1020.

Today I’m reviewing the Nokia Lumia 930, which is the company’s standard flagship and successor to the Lumia 925. You might notice that this handset looks very similar to the Lumia Icon the company released earlier this year exclusively on Verizon, and that’s because it's essentially the international version of the Icon, packing Windows Phone 8.1 out of the box.

The hardware inside the Lumia 930 easily competes with the latest Android devices. You get a large, 5-inch 1080p AMOLED display, a powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 SoC, and Nokia’s signature 20-megapixel PureView camera.

Read the complete review.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wish you guys would stop comparing the Windows Phones to iSheep & Androps and give them credit on a standalone basis. They are a fantastic phone from the reinvigorated Nokia/Microsoft corporation and present more on screen information, usability and value than any predecessor or competitor. Moreso, they give free OFFLINE maps and navigation, are amazing value and deserve to be in every hone or business (unless you like having a phablet in your pocket like the oversized Samsung creatures).

The number one reason that iSheep devices have outsold anything else (aside from being first tom mass-market) is simply this - uninformed users don't like to look stupid and therefore buy what the masses have already bought. Adults copy their children's purchases and volume sales become a self-perpetuating lie about quality. It's truly time to break free and get with the Windows tiles layout for ease of use and more onscreen information at a glance, and get far more value for money without making the worlds richest company even richer.

Realise this - the time has come for a change of leadership in the phone market and this device presents the strongest reason so far to melt down your iPhoney and sell the precious metals for scrap.

I realised this way back when the Lumia 620 came out, and the rest of the iWorld is still yawning to the dawn of a new era.

Impressive rant.
"I really wish you guys would stop comparing the Windows Phones to iSheep & Androps and give them credit on a standalone basis."
That kind of is the point of a review though yeah? To compare X product against its competition.

While I don’t like the iPhone it’s a decent phone nonetheless and is on par with Samsung’s best in terms of quality. I don’t like the iPhone’s for a few reasons but quality isn’t one of them.

As for Samsung I really love my oversized creature thank you ;)

I have used Lumia 620 and it’s a nice phone and I could easily swap out my Note 3 for the Lumia 930, though I do prefer a bigger screen.

When it comes down to it I feel Tim best summed it up with this…

“That said, I’m still unconvinced that Windows Phone provides enough of an upgrade over iOS or Android for someone to make the switch. There are many aspects that are truly fantastic – the information-dense Start screen is one – but Microsoft continues to simply match what other platforms provide, rather than offering something innovative and killer. Their vision is certainly bold with Windows Threshold in 2015, so there’s plenty to look forward to; right now, though, it’s still not quite as polished as I’d like.”

That kind of is the point of a review though yeah? To compare X product against its competition.

Exactly, nearly everyone buying a smartphone has used another one before it, so comparisons are critical. When getting the Lumia 930 you're most likely coming from Android, iOS or Windows Phone, so naturally they need to be compared at some point.

[QUOTE=" Microsoft continues to simply match what other platforms provide, rather than offering something innovative and killer. ”[/I][/QUOTE]

= exactly the sheepish and ill-considered comment that iSheep perpetuate.

Further, your name calling my comment as a RANT is equally small minded.

I have an opinion, and it reflects the growing response of Microsoft users. Just because it doesn't go BAAAA doesn't make it a rant. As staff you could be far more mature in your retort.

I played around with a Windows phone a coworker had. Nothing against it...it was fast, but I'm getting more to the "old fart" age and don't want to bother relearning a new OS. I'll stick with Android. At least there are 3 choices in OS's, and numerous choices in the type of phone you can purchase. For me, the Huawei Mate2 is my choice.

First time I have ever seen 2 staff members immediately LEAP to the defence of another 'oh if only it were as good as iPhone and Android alternatives' style review which is rhetorical and common on the Interweb.

If I recall correctly, Tim's 'awesome' review of the Asus T100 was almost unanimously decried as typically negative of anything Microsoft.

MS are no longer #1 in peoples homes so please, stop writing as if they still need to be torn down to give Apple a leg up. Reality is quite the opposite in the modern tech world.

If I was in the market for a new WP right this second I'd probably go with the 930 because I think the 1520 is a bit too big even for me at 6". I'd have to use it first hand though, so I'd have to see it in a store, but I believe 5" is the sweet spot for my needs, or maybe 5.5" tops.

A fair review... but the statement of this being the best Windows Phone to date is a little odd I think, when compared to the Nokia lumia 1520 you get much more screen real estate and memory expansion up to 128gig, a much stronger battery, which lets admit every consumer gripes about battery life on all phones. You also get the glance screen, too, which is very nice... something for your viewers to think about when they read this.

I own Lumia 520 AT&T version service has been great with those who are also on AT&T network. Now with Windows 8.1 update really nice to have personal assistant in the phone. Cortana works well as long as she can hear you. LOL.

Side note to Time your video and all what you have put together here is very well done. I see where you live is getting cold there too. Sunny/Hot and humid where I am, but still your videos show how well the Luma 930 does.

"..As staff you could be far more mature in your retort"

..look who's talking now. Before you preach other as immature, check out your previous comment first.. we can see whose opinion is more likely as an impressive rant rather than opinion, yawning Windows Phone is better just like what iSheep always do.

"..As staff you could be far more mature in your retort"

..look who's talking now. Before you preach other as immature, check out your previous comment first.. we can see whose opinion is more likely as an impressive rant rather than opinion, yawning Windows Phone is better just like what iSheep always do.

nice one, anonymous 'guest', if you are indeed.

My 920 works super for me, I guess I don't need a lighter smartphone, and its heavier than the 930.

I really wish you guys would stop comparing the Windows Phones to iSheep & Androps and give them credit on a standalone basis. They are a fantastic phone from the reinvigorated Nokia/Microsoft corporation and present more on screen information, usability and value than any predecessor or competitor. Moreso, they give free OFFLINE maps and navigation, are amazing value and deserve to be in every hone or business (unless you like having a phablet in your pocket like the oversized Samsung creatures).

The number one reason that iSheep devices have outsold anything else (aside from being first tom mass-market) is simply this - uninformed users don't like to look stupid and therefore buy what the masses have already bought. Adults copy their children's purchases and volume sales become a self-perpetuating lie about quality. It's truly time to break free and get with the Windows tiles layout for ease of use and more onscreen information at a glance, and get far more value for money without making the worlds richest company even richer.

Realise this - the time has come for a change of leadership in the phone market and this device presents the strongest reason so far to melt down your iPhoney and sell the precious metals for scrap.

I realised this way back when the Lumia 620 came out, and the rest of the iWorld is still yawning to the dawn of a new era.
I wonder what to laugh at more, your erroneous complaints or the fact that your username is "Snowden"...

I live in australia and got this phone off ebay seller had bought for his wife it was a week old with reciept I got it for $150 off new price and I love this phone I updated from the lumia 800 which was a great phone as well I am not an apple fan and android is everywhere so as long as windows phones are as good as this phone will always be a fan of them.

Don’t bother getting the Nokia Lumia 930. My screen burnt out in less than two weeks and Nokia are still “trying to repair it” after 5 weeks of them having received it at their service centre. What a waste of money.

Impressive rant.
"I really wish you guys would stop comparing the Windows Phones to iSheep & Androps and give them credit on a standalone basis."

While I don’t like the iPhone it’s a decent phone nonetheless and is on par with Samsung’s best in terms of quality. I don’t like the iPhone’s for a few reasons but quality isn’t one of them.

As for Samsung I really love my oversized creature thank you ;)

I have used Lumia 620 and it’s a nice phone and I could easily swap out my Note 3 for the Lumia 930, though I do prefer a bigger screen.

When it comes down to it I feel Tim best summed it up with this…

“That said, I’m still unconvinced that Windows Phone provides enough of an upgrade over iOS or Android for someone to make the switch. There are many aspects that are truly fantastic – the information-dense Start screen is one – but Microsoft continues to simply match what other platforms provide, rather than offering something innovative and killer. Their vision is certainly bold with Windows Threshold in 2015, so there’s plenty to look forward to; right now, though, it’s still not quite as polished as I’d like.”
I bought my 930 off ebay bloke had bought the phone for his girlfriend she didn't want it wanted the new iphone coming out so got it $120 dollars cheaper than retail price must say I love it.We now have cortana here in Australia and it is a cool feature I had the lumia 800 for 4 years I love win phones and will never go back to android or iphones ever. I know I will have my 930 most likely for as long as my old 800 it really is a great phone.

Back