MacBook Pro owner beats Apple in court over faulty 8600M GT

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

In an inspiring tale, one Seattle blogger recently defeated America's most valuable tech company in court with little more than wit and determination. A few years ago, Apple (like many other system makers) shipped notebooks with defective Nvidia graphics processors. MacBook Pros with a GeForce 8600M GT were among the affected units, and Apple promised to repair busted machines free of charge for up to four years.

Seattle Rex, the aforementioned blogger, tried taking advantage of the free repair when his $4,000 MacBook Pro failed, but Apple refused service because the notebook wouldn't boot, so it couldn't confirm Nvidia's GPU was to blame (even though this is a symptom of the faulty chip in question). Annoyed, Rex filed a complaint with the BBB, but Apple lied about running diagnostics on the system to have the case closed.

After receiving a cold shoulder from Apple's Executive Customer Service, Rex threatened to sue. It's fairly uncommon for large companies to appear in small claims court because the stakes simply aren't high enough. It costs more in legal representation than the damages involved, so most such cases are settled outside court. Of course, when you have $100 billion under your mattress, you can afford to defy logic a little.

And so Apple did. The company sent not one lawyer to manhandle Rex, but two, and they were in direct contact with a legal team via cell phone. Despite being heavily outgunned, Rex tried solving the dispute in private mediation, but that didn't pan out so the case went before a judge. From there, Rex's account of the trial depicts Apple as a merciless scoundrel hellbent on crushing the little guy out of spite, no matter the cost.

Fortunately for Rex, money can't buy the truth. At best, it can be distorted, but apparently Apple's muscle wasn't very good at that. In their opening statement, the lawyers tried having the case dismissed because Rex's CPU runs at 2.6GHz instead of 2.4 or 2.5GHz, suggesting his system doesn't qualify for free repair. However, he bought the machine with that configuration and it has nothing to do with Nvidia's GPU anyway.

"You see, when I ordered my MacBook Pro, I paid about $300 extra for them to up-clock the chip from 2.5Ghz to 2.6Ghz. Yes, it was a classic Apple ripoff, and yes, I was dumb to order it, but I did it, mea culpa. I had absolutely no idea that it would be used against me in a court of law...Perhaps, despite everything, I am still a bit naive, because not even I expected Apple to just…lie. At least not in such a silly manner," he wrote.

After explaining everything, Rex forced Apple to admit his notebook is, in fact, warrantied. "So, there we were. Not more than two minutes into the trial, and Apple conceded to trying to hoodwink the judge," he said. "This is more or less the way the rest of the trial played out. I made a point, Apple rebutted it with something completely off-the-wall and irrelevant, and I explained to the judge why Apple's rebuttal was nonsense."

Impressed with Rex's knowledge, the judge deemed him an "expert witness." He was awarded with enough cash to replace is 17-inch notebook, plus court costs, costs of service and so on. Although he's happy with the outcome, Rex is concerned Apple won't pony up. The kicker, he reckons, is that Apple wouldn't even have had to pay for repairing his notebook. Nvidia foots the bill, so Apple is being a jerk for no reason.

"In addition, instead of paying nothing for the repair, they paid a legal team to oversee the case, and, oh yeah…you guys, the shareholders, are buying me a new computer too. Thanks. As far as I can tell, Apple spent all of this time and money, solely to be a bully. Was that really money well-spent? I mean, you can almost excuse the holy wars against Adobe, Samsung, Android, and the prototype guys…but a local blogger?"

Rex's experience is far from unique, it seems. Since publishing his article, he's received "scores" of emails from people who've also been denied free repairs under the same pretense (their systems aren't eligible because they doesn't boot -- but they don't boot because of the flawed component). He is looking into filing a class-action suit against Apple for fraud, misrepresentation and so on, but there are no details on that yet.

Permalink to story.

Thanks for this..
I'm an apple user and it's nice to know that the company has typical corporate america values too...
they've been put on a pedestal by users,, but the bottom line is $$...and screw the consumer..

I am an Apple user, and love the products. Have never had one fail (yet). However, it's nice to know what kind of company they are, should I ever have to deal with this.

I wonder if Apple changed after Steve Jobs passed away, or have they always been this ruthless?

Pretty dumb! Why sue Apple? Their products are the best in the universe and they can't ship something that is defective. You have yourself to blame, maybe you charged your MacBook Pro from a power outlet that was used to charge an Android device. You should have tried other options; did you try placing the Netbook with the screen facing south-west?

As stated in the article, someone part of the iCry crowd took "advantage" of Apple. Just some guy abusing the courts...

Arrogant Apple user's got no idea what they agreeing to in the terms & conditions
Apple a big rip off and most of the people are brain wasted or no brainer at all considering you have to pay high premiums
Also paying extra for all the minor upgrades e.g. memory/ HDD and so on
With the addons to connect you devices to other components which also cost extra
Serve them right when there fancy expensive tech goes wrong and Apple would not honour there side of the deal

The kicker, he reckons, is that Apple wouldn't even have had to pay for repairing his notebook. Nvidia foots the bill, so Apple is being a jerk for no reason.

This doesn't smell right.... no one is ever a 'jerk for no reason'. We're hearing this story from Seattle Rex... we're not getting both sides. He's a blogger and I'll bet he has said some things on his blog that have offended Apple. There's a bigger reason here why Apple wouldn't replace this dude's PC. Especially since it's such an obvious warranty case.

I'm glad he won, it certainly sounds like he's right, but I'd like the whole story on why this went so far. If Apple was willing to spend more to deny this guy a PC than to give him one, then there's something else going on.

$4000 in the hole is why he went so far. You gonna let someone shaft you for 4 Grand?

You were wonderin if this is a change after Steve Jobs' death, but after reading his biography I would have to say this is just a perpepuation of Jobs' attitude.

Some maneger did a big boo boo.
The bad publicety isnt worth it
A little kid with some what of power and this kind of mistakes happen
Sry about my english im isreali and can not be boderd with mistake fixer:)

I had the exact same problem a year ago. Defective Nvidia GPU that did the rounds on nearly every big brand notebook sold around 2008. My local Apple store refused to offer extended guarantee due to a defect, but I happened to travel to San Francisco that same month. I took my dead laptop with me and they replaced all the internals in 24 hours. Obviously my tale ended with a happier ending.

I've never had an Apple product fail on me (yet) but I've heard a handful of good customer service stories from close friends who had a faulty Apple product replaced in-store after a quick check. In all cases they didn't have AppleCare but were still under the regular 12 month warranty period.

As MilwaukeeMike said, it seems odd that they would go through all this trouble considering Nvidia had already acknowledged the GPU issue and was footing the bill. Anyway, if that's all there is to it and Apple was acting out of spite, good on him for putting up a fight and making the story public.

Guest said:
"Also paying extra for all the minor upgrades e.g. memory/ HDD and so on"

Are these things free in your world?

Take your money and buy something other then a Mac this time!!! This is just another reason why I'll NEVER buy anything from Apple.

I know for a FACT my upgrades don't cost the extra premiums Apple charges there loyal customer
:p

If anyone wants proof that apple could care less about their customers, here it is...

An uptick in speed from 2.5 to2.6 is free in anyones world it's called overclock. Not quite what I would call a $300.00 upgrade.

I am an Apple user, and love the products. Have never had one fail (yet). However, it's nice to know what kind of company they are, should I ever have to deal with this.

I wonder if Apple changed after Steve Jobs passed away, or have they always been this ruthless?

Always been like this. I hated working as a Genius only because the manager use to ask me to lie all the time just to make the customer spend more money to get a new one.

Guest said:

No there not free but they also don't cost $200. You want 8gig of ram on your macbook pro, it's going to cost you an additional $200. Want it on your PC, its $40. Same RAM and speed just one is apple only and other works on all machines but apple. Don't believe me, go to apple's site and select a macbook pro and upgrade it to 8 gigs.

This doesn't smell right.... no one is ever a 'jerk for no reason'. We're hearing this story from Seattle Rex... we're not getting both sides. He's a blogger and I'll bet he has said some things on his blog that have offended Apple. There's a bigger reason here why Apple wouldn't replace this dude's PC. Especially since it's such an obvious warranty case.

Yes it doesn't smell right you are correct in that, i think the part where Apple wanted to "hoodwink" the judge with misinformation was what you are really talking about.

"So, there we were. Not more than two minutes into the trial, and Apple conceded to trying to hoodwink the judge."

As for both sides maybe Apple are still in denial and won't release a statement or will ask for the court transcripts to be blocked?

There is no big reason explain one reason a commpany would be hell bent on defrauding one consumer i can say why imho they don't want a class action lawsuit and used this as a test case in hope others would be bullied out of following up with the defective chips they sold. It is jsut a sad simple truth of apples philosophy to sue and counter sue or put road blocks and misinformation where they can they are the kings of marketing and marketing requires a certain amount of bending the truth to suit your product.

Way to go Apple become a RIAA and stop innovating and keep litigating, it worked well for RIAA so far right..

Guest said:

No there not free but they also don't cost $200. You want 8gig of ram on your macbook pro, it's going to cost you an additional $200. Want it on your PC, its $40. Same RAM and speed just one is apple only and other works on all machines but apple. Don't believe me, go to apple's site and select a macbook pro and upgrade it to 8 gigs.

I agree that they charge too much, but it does cost.
Take your computer to a local shop and have them upgrade the memory for you. I'll bet it's more than just $40.

An uptick in speed from 2.5 to2.6 is free in anyones world it's called overclock. Not quite what I would call a $300.00 upgrade.

Same goes for the $300 overclock. The janitor at Apple probably can't do that. So they pay a technician to do it. That costs money (even if it is a 10 min job). Plus it has to be pulled from the assembly line. Little extra for warranty as well (oc will void the intel warranty).

Apple charges a bit much imo, but we're not all Technically inclined.

Besides, go check how much a top end Falcon Northwest is. Makes your head spin.

I've dealt with Apple on a few dozen occasions, returning systems for warranty repairs etc.. Overall, I've been impressed. On a few occasions, they've even made out-of-warranty exceptions for me, including problems arising from blatant physical abuse.

Maybe I'm a smooth talker (not likely), but they've provided better care than any other computer company I've dealt with. Trying to do the same thing with HP, Dell, Sony, Gateway etc.. is like squeezing water from a rock.

It's probably worth mentioning that 95% of my dealings have been over the phone with the national service number -- not at an Apple store or genius bar.

Back