Macbook Pro won't boot

monton

TS Booster
My Macbook pro just stopped booting. When I turn it on I get a gray screen with a green apple and a green spinner. Doesn't do anything after that and doesn't boot. I have no idea what to try to fix it

monton

TS Booster
My Macbook pro just stopped booting. When I turn it on I get a gray screen with a green apple and a green spinner. Doesn't do anything after that and doesn't boot. I have no idea what to try to fix it
Why can't I post!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????

captaincranky

TechSpot Addict
@monton I know next to nothing about Apple products so be gentle with me. Is it not "booting" (loading the OS), or not POST -ing. (Power On Self Testing).

OK, a Windows machine "POSTs", then presents a BIOS roll. The most important part of the "POST" is a memory check. The BIOS then registers all the system components, and loads the OS.

So where exactly is your machine stopping?

The last machine I had which cleared POST and BIOS, then refused to load the OS, turned out to be a bad video card. I thought I ruined the board in an additional memory install, almost gave up, yanked the card, and lo and behold, Windows loaded immediately after I hooked up the monitor to the CPU's IGP ("IGP" = On board graphics built into the CPU).

A bad C:/ drive would cause this as well. So might malware, but as we all know, (or have been led to believe), that doesn't happen to Macs.

altorn

TS Rookie
Open MacBook Pro in Safe Mode, Follow these steps-

• Start your Mac
• Press and hold the Shift key
• The Apple logo should appear
• When the login window appears to release the shift key and log in