Machine Check Exception Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikshane

Hello Everyone,
I had posted here before about receiving the 0X0000009C machine check error. As of today the error has become absolutely unbearable. I have tried everything I could think of to fix this error.

First I bought new RAM and this did not work. Then I bought a new hard drive and tried to reinstall windows. This also did not work, and the installation of windows kept freezing. I then tried a new power supply and this also did not work. Finally I tried installing a new video card (Nvida 7200GS was the video card I bought) in the separate PCI express slot on my computer. This initially appeared to work as I was able to reinstall windows without any freezing. However, as I was installing the drivers, I once again received the dreaded machine check exception error.

My computer is a gateway 5082:
Here is a link where the manufacture has my drivers:
http://support.gateway.com/support/d...&param=1009053

and here is a description of my computer:
http://support.gateway.com/s//PC/R/1...009053nv.shtml

As of this time I do not have any mini-dumps to post, but If absolutely needed I can try and find some. I was told by a technician at work that there is probably something wrong with either the motherboard or the CPU. However he ran a test (I'm not sure what it was I think it was Memtest) and everything appeared to be fine.

I know that machine check errors are hard to diagnose. However I am desperate for any suggestions. I respect the advice on this forum and will appreciate any solutions given. Thanks!

Hello again,
Thanks for the prompt reply.

I ran the test and it found a whole bunch of errors. The test stage was at 3 of 254 and it found more than 19,000 errors!!

They looked like this:
Changing video mode to 640x480x16...OK
[4/25/2010 8:29:12 PM] Test started for "Primary Display Driver (NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS)"...
Trying 16bpp RGB:565 mode...OK
Error at [0FE1D000]: must be 00FF, but found 0000 (bits: 0000000011111111)
Error at [0FE1D002]: must be 00FF, but found 0000 (bits: 0000000011111111)
Error at [0FE1D004]: must be 00FF, but found 0000 (bits: 0000000011111111)
Error at [0FE1D006]: must be 00FF, but found 0000 (bits: 0000000011111111)
Error at [0FE1D008]: must be 00FF, but found 0000 (bits: 0000000011111111)
etc.

The video card is Geforce 7200GS. Does this mean the video card is bad?

Your getting errors which means something is wrong but I wonder if it is really your video card in light of the fact that this is a replacement.

Can you borrow a card and see how that does? You mentioned how the tech guy said the possibility was with your motherboard. If the borrowed card fails then either the slot or the board could very well be the issue here.

I'll have to go back on Tuesday and check. I'll let you know what happens. If I use a different video card and I still get errors, then would that mean the pci express slot is bad?

By the way thanks for all your help!

I'll have to go back on Tuesday and check. I'll let you know what happens. If I use a different video card and I still get errors, then would that mean the pci express slot is bad?

By the way thanks for all your help!

You're most welcome. If I read you correctly you removed your old video card and replaced it with a 7200GS and that worked for awhile but then the 0x9C returned, correct? We'll be very interested in seeing the results with the video card.

I would also like to suggest that perhaps a BIOS upgrade is a possible solution or perhaps your PSU may not be supplying what you need power wise.

Oh, one other thing. I was helping someone with the same error for over a week and on his own he decided to check his capacitors on his motherboard. He discovered three bulging caps and a blown one burnt. Check your capacitors. There should be no bulges.

You're most welcome. If I read you correctly you removed your old video card and replaced it with a 7200GS and that worked for awhile but then the 0x9C returned, correct? We'll be very interested in seeing the results with the video card.

I would also like to suggest that perhaps a BIOS upgrade is a possible solution or perhaps your PSU may not be supplying what you need power wise.

Oh, one other thing. I was helping someone with the same error for over a week and on his own he decided to check his capacitors on his motherboard. He discovered three bulging caps and a blown one burnt. Check your capacitors. There should be no bulges.

Yes, replacing the video card was the only thing that allowed the system to work (at least for a while). FYI I had an internal video card originally.

I had the tech guy look for any bulging on the motherboard and he couldn't find any. To be honest the board looks fairly clean. On this particular motherboard, there are no fans just heatsinks. They do get a little bit hot to the touch, but I'm not sure if overheating is the problem. The temperature remains constant around 40C, according to the bios, and in the past I have been able to run the computer for days at this temp., without any problems.

The BIOS upgrade will probably be the last thing i'll do. I'll try and get my tech guy to do it. I'll first try a new video card and run the scan on tuesday when I see him next. I'll let you know what happens.

Once again thanks for all your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back