Magzter Gold is the Spotify for magazines, offers access to 2,000+ publications for $9.99 per month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

magzter subscription magazines on-demand all you can eat all you can read

The latest media bundle to feed your on-demand, all-you-can-eat appetite comes not from Amazon or Netflix, but from Magzter. The cross-platform digital magazine on Monday announced a new gold-level subscription that includes unlimited access to over 2,000 magazines for just $9.99 per month.

Headquartered in New York, Magzter has been in the business of selling digital publications since 2011. Thus far, however, they’ve done so using traditional models – selling single issues or annual subscriptions. An all-you-can-read option is entirely new for the company and they’re hoping their 24 million members will take the bait.

The $9.99 bundle includes top publications like ESPN The Magazine, Maxim, Motor Trend, PC Magazine and PC Gamer, just to name a few. As you’ll no doubt notice by scrolling through the publications in the bundle, there’s a wealth of international and niche magazines thrown in the mix.

Alternately, Magzter has another plan called Gold Lite which lets subscribers select just five titles for $4.99 per month. Under this plan, subscribers can select different magazines each month and best yet, you also get access to their full archive.

While it certainly sounds like a solid offer (especially for magazine lovers), it’ll likely be a tough sell. The idea of an “iTunes for news” service isn’t exactly new and unlike other successful subscription providers like Netflix or Spotify, curating magazine content is a difficult task.

Would you be interested in such a service? Let us know why or why not in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

If it works for Mexico it would be great. Years ago I used to buy and read tech and airplane magazines every chance I got, I also read car and science-related from my relatives'. The thing that annoys me enough today to not buy them is that I have to specifically go and look for them -since mail-based yearly suscription doesn't interest me-, something I don't have time and dedication for.

The ease that comes from paying to a single instance and getting what I like digitally anywhere is fine for me. I would do with the "Gold lite" subscription model.

I just downloaded the Magzter app on my iPad. Works like a charm - I'm in New Zealand and I am able to see global mags so I guess it will work in Mexico as well. Downloads are really fast which is good and I'm sure they will add more mags soon. They have multiple concurrent downloading so I just downloaded all their issues of FHM Thailand (in Thai) and FHM India (In English) and I see they also have FHM Spain so I guess it may work for you in Mexico :) - I'm all for Spotify and any such good subscription service.

I would love this! I currently download magazines using torrents because they have now become so expensive in the UK. I used to spend 50-70 pounds a month on magazines, but if something like this was available to me, it might actually make me want to stop torrenting pdf magazines

Been waiting almost 10 years for this. I tried my darndest to convince Yahoo to adopt this model long before Kindle or any of that. It was inevitable that someone would figure out this is the only way periodicals are going to survive. The comic book companies should be all over this, considering how their stories tend to involve multiple titles each month.

Replicas are dead! Why would anyone pay money and not just get it for free on various content resources. I wonder how publishers will like this?

I currently use Zinio and am pretty happy with it, I try to get my subscriptions when they have sales. I use the Zinio app on my Kindle Fire HDX. The only con about using Zinio with the Kindle is that they don't have The newest app in the Kindle app store - you have to download the .apk and load it that way. Also they don't have a good way of syncing the magazines so I can pick up where I left off on my computer or phone, like my Kindle books do.
The other main magazine service is Next Issue. I tried that for a bit (they have a free trial), but for the few magazines I read it was more cost effective to do the Zinio.
I will check to see if this Magzter will for my needs.

Hey, I just used Magzter and it was good - has more mags than my library and much faster loading than Zinio. I'm trying it out for 1 month and will see - may give me a lot more to read at just $9.99 than Zinio or my free library membership.

Back