Major Infection through BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks,

Well, I am a PC veteran. I was around when aol was the only thing going and I still remember how to write code in dos (thank god).

My experience has taught me nothing and I have been completely invaded by a hacker that has among other things, been publishing my files to the web. Whos to say what else he's been doing.. but I'm on my way to the banks and everywhere else in the morning.

Here's the deal. He has come in though the internet into my PC though microsoft networking. He has set up my computer on a network and has been controlling it and manipulating files on it by remote.

The thing is all the while he was doing this he has software on my puter that hides icons and changes the names of files and prompts and other things. I have things going on - when I try to delete a file my puter will shut down and things like that.

I did run a fairly good virus program about 2 months ago (re upped a new subscription) called pcdoctor or something liked that and it found a complete back door network in my files so I thought I had this in hand, however today, I realized that they are in my BIOS and controling how my puter boots up and loading the programs on boot and everything so I need a real pro to talk to.

Anyone in here wanna take me through this?

Why don't you just stay offline, copy off any files you really value to CD, run KillDisk and reload your OS?

I really doubt its in your BIOS. Maybe in your startup items list or in your automatically loading services, but there hasn't been BIOS viruses in 10 years.

Go take care of your financial stuff, then pull the internet connection from the computer and do what CCT says.

good LORD what a scary thing to happen!

We had that happen when we were too lazy to PW our network when we moved, and someoen was getting in and reading our stuff, luckily nothing horrible happened. We only found out when he bragged to our son that he had done it.

I believe we used KillDisk also when this happened.

OK, here's an update, and maybe more can help with this. The reason I thought the infection was placed in bios is because my machine does not have dos. This is a vpr matrix computer and it only has windows running on it - windows and bios. I was initially able to enter windows in safe mode and find a prompt.... a prompt not to dos, but to something like it...weird, I know.. but according to the manufacturer it is not dos... anyway... as I tried to delete programs,,, the viruses would shut down my computer, set off weird alarms, really funky stuff. They have now blocked access to my keyboard and mouse in windows. Well here it is.. I can get my puter to start... it will automatically boot to windows...but I don't have keyboard control once in windows... I have keyboard control in bios...not in windows... so if I allow windows to start I am stuck. I had a recovery disk working - but now the drives are not scanning these. My question is this... how do I get into bios.. when the computer is starting up... or how do I get this thing to give me some kind of prompt... It is just jumping right to windows and won't let me into anything else. What keys., key combinations on while booting... will bring me into the file system? any ideas here. Thanks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back