Major problems with BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

stellaj76

Hi,

I am having major problems with the blue screen of death on my Dell running Windows XP. Sometimes I can start in safemode, sometimes I can't even get that far. Messages I have seen on the BSOD include:
volume is dirty
page fault in non paged area
crql not less or equal
pfn list corrupt
an attempt was made to execute non executable memory

Also, at one point, I was given a Windows Shutdown status code 1073741819.

I am sending this post from another computer that actually still works!

I would appreciate any help possible.

Thanks,
Joe

Without more information this appears to be a bad RAM issue. So run Memtest on your RAM and get back to us with your results. The good thing about this test is that it starts almost immediately at boot-up.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Link: Tutorial: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Again, get back to us with the results.

currently running memtest

Thanks for the memtest suggestion. I am running the test now (which seems like it will need hours...is that right?). Will the multiple passes happen automatically, or will I need to restart the test in any way? Also, so far, in the errors column, I do see it's up to over 3,000,000 if that means anything. What would cause errors with RAM in the first place? I will post back when the test is completed, but if you wouldn't mind answering these questions in the meantime, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Is that 3 MILLION errors?! You have, without a doubt, corrupted memory. There is no need for you to run the test any more unless you want to run the test per stick to see if both or only one is bad. Why memory goes there is no definitive answer but it is a very common problem.

If this system is still under warrenty then contact Dell, give them the list of errors you gave us, and tell them of the amount of recorded errors you have with Memtest. They need and should replace your RAM for free.

If it is past warrenty don't purchase new memory from DELL. We can direct you to a great source or two and you'll pay much, much less for it.

The thing about Memtest is that it throws mathmatical patterns at your memory. There are 8 Tests per Pass. Once these tests finish that is a completed Pass. It starts over and begins again. here is the thing: though it looks like it is repeating what it did before, it really isn't. This is why the minimum rule of 7 is stated.

errors update

Yes...3 million, and now it is up to over 15 million...still in test #6 of the first pass. I just want to be sure that the number I gave you is in fact the right number of errors. I got the number from the 2nd right-most column under "Errors" while the right-most column "ECC Errs" still says 0. Am I correct that these are the right errors?

If so, I WILL need to purchase new RAM. My computer is out of warrantee and I would imagine RAM from Dell is overpriced, as you mentioned. Please let me know a reliable source for reasonably priced RAM. Also, can you let me know how I can figure out exactly what type of RAM I need?

However, I also posted this problem in a Windows forum and here's what someone else posted to me:
raybay
TechSpot Evangelist Location: Four Corners, US

Usually this error code is caused by a malware worm... it is hard to fix if you cannot get it running, but have you tried to start up in <SAFE MODE>?
You would do this by repeatedly depressing the <F8> key once per second and let it run until stable... you will get a low resolution and a list of choices... go to the top of the list and start in Safe Mode...
Before you do this, download Avira Antivir virus, malwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and Windows Defender.
Then install and run them in SAFE MODE as soon as you get the machine booted and stable.
If they find and remove any evil doers, rerun the scans after the first cycle is complete...
Then download the updates, and run the scans a third time.

So...do you think it could be a malware problem, or does the maltest confirm it's the RAM?

Joe

raybay is one of the most knowlegeable people here with years of experience but with your memtest results, even if you test for malware, you have RAM that needs to be replaced.

The Errors column is what we need and it is definitly saying you've got corrupted memory! If you could access the internet via your computer I would direct you to Crucial.com. They have a free and perfectly safe system scan (I and many others use it for builds, scanning, etc.) that will scan your system and tell you what RAM you can install and how much. The only thing is you must give permission for them to install an Active X.

So if you are able to get online try that. If not find the model of your system or refer to your manual and it should tell you the memory compatible for your motherboard/system. If you can link us to the Dell website that has your exact model we could take a look.

Once we know this we can direct you to where to purcvhase the memory.

P.S. You can stop running memtest now. :D

Great...just wanted to make sure that RAM was bad. So far, I'm having no luck getting into safe mode with networking, so here's what it says on my invoice from when I bought the computer:

Item # 311-5378 1GB DDR2 SDRAM,400MHZ- 2X512MB.DIM.V

It's a Dimension E310 P4

I think I would rather upgrade the RAM...I called Dell and they said my computer can hold 2GB RAM, so I would like to purchase 2 sticks of 1GB each.

One more silly question...when I replace the RAM, it won't affect anything on the hard drive right? It's a simple replace and it should work like normal?

First, no, changing RAM will in no way affect your harddrive. It is one of the easiest things you can replace in a PC. If you have someone who knows a little tech about computers they should be able to replace it easily.

2 gigs with XP is the way to go. That is the recommendation for XP.

Go to NewEgg.com Don't let the name fool you. It is the very best in the business and fantastic customer support. I hope you reside in the U.S. or Canada, however, because they only ship to this two countries.

Look for memory and look for DDR2 SDRAM,400MHZ Let me see if I can link you.

Edit Update: Contact Dell again and tell them you need clarification. Ask if your system is limited to DDR-2 400 (PC 3200). Also, ask them what memory brand they are selling for a replacement. We aren't going to purchase from them, just gathering information. Out of curiosity how much were they going to charge you for 2 gigs of RAM?

I'm actually going to go with the memory right from Dell. They're having a sale on the memory I need, plus they said they recommend the Dell brand over Kingston or Corsair, and it is the right speed for my computer (not too fast). I got 2 chips of 1GB each for a total of $42, plus they waived the shipping cost for me and it comes with a lifetime warrantee. I figured it was a decent deal...the ones on newegg.com were about $30 for the 2GB, so I'd pay an extra 10 bucks for peace of mind.

That is an okay price but Corsair and Kingston are two of the leading brands in the business. Basically Dell is talking out of their manipulative aft end. Did they tell you who made their's?

However, whatever brand they are selling you should work fine and 2 gigs is certainly the way to go, plus peace of mind is a good thing. Let us know how it goes and the ensuing results.

They wouldn't say...just said Dell brand. The ones in my PC now are Samsung. I figured I could still get the ones you suggested for a cheaper price and it would be exactly the same thing, but since the price wasn't that much more, I just figured it was the easy way out. I hope it works! They said it should be here by next Wednesday, so I'll post back here when I plug in the new chips. Thanks again...talk more next week.

bad news

Hello again.

I just got my new RAM today. I put it in and I'm still getting the BSOD. I think the message I've seen a few times was Page Fault in Non Paged Area, or something to that effect. When I logged into safe mode I also got windows boxes saying file or directory C:\WINDOWS\CSC\csc1.tmp is corrupt and unreadable. Also got one saying the same thing about 00000002. Not sure if that helps or matters at all...but I'm looking for the next step. I'm able to get in on safe mode (I'm in on it right now), but otherwise, the BSOD keeps coming back.

Any ideas where to go next?

Joe

Joe, I happen to be on vacation but I decided to check in on these boards today. That is an 0x50 error and they can be caused by RAM including video card RAM, antivirus software, software back-up such as Acronis or Norton's Ghost, etc.

Since you can boot into Safe Mode we are most likely looking at a driver issue. What is you internet security software? Also, since replacing your RAM are you getting your BSODs as often?

safe mode more reliable now

I'm using Trend Micro software. Since replacing the RAM, I am not getting the BSOD as much...I have been able to successfully get into safe mode whenever I have tried so far (a few times). However, when I try to boot normally, it gets about to showing my desktop then sputters then BSOD.

In safe mode, I'm getting Windows boxes coming up that say those things I wrote before and to run check disk.

Also...not sure if this matters, but I did recently hook up an external hard drive, and it has an auto backup feature. Currently, I have unplugged the USB for this since I've been having the BSOD problems though.

What should I try next?

Are you still on vacation? I was wondering what I need to try next...was reading online about registry cleaners...is that something I should be trying? Please advise.

First, working in the registry comes with a note of EXTREME caution. Before even looking at the registry please attach your five latest BSODs in one Zip file since the RAM replacement.

If you only have one or two minidumps you don't need to zip them. Just attach as is.

No worries...I won't do anything with the registry...just curious about stuff I was reading online. I'm not sure what you want me to attach though...could you explain?

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five minidumps per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Route44 come to my topic please.... I have some new errors. Sorry for interupting in this topic...

All five of your minidumps are error 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Unfortunately nothing was listed as a probable cause except a Windows OS driver and they are usually too general to be of much help.

Besides Trend Micro what other security software, if any, do you have installed or had installed?

Does Dell give you a diagnostics utility that you can run to diagnose various hardware features? If so, run all tests.

Also, when are these BSODs occuring?

I am currently only running Trend Micro, but a year ago, I did have other security software to correct a virus problem I had, but I doubt that's related. I do still have one installed though from that time...Win Patrol. I have recently added a Seagate external hard drive. I don't think I have any Dell tests to run, but I'll look.

The BSODs (now with the new memory installed) are only happening when I attempt to startup the computer the normal way. I am able to do the F8 safe mode thing OK now, but if I let it start normally, when my desktop loads, it suddenly goes to the blue screen.

If WinPatrol is still installed it will conflict with TrendMicro. The rule is: One antivirus, one antispyware/malware, and one firewall or one security suit.

Completely uninstall WinPatrol and tell us if the BSODs continue.

I got rid of Win Patrol but the same blue screen keeps happening upon a normal restart. It gets to the last note of the Windows XP jingle, and then it actually keeps repeating the note while everything freezes and goes to the page fault in non paged area blue screen.

In safe mode, I have opened up Trend Micro and it seems to do a scan but nothing changes. I have taken a screen shot of some of what it is finding...not sure if this will help or if it's totally irrelevant, but figured I'd share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back