BSOD on boot: page fault in nonpaged area

D

davislane1

My computer has run flawlessly since I built it last year. Applied the most recent forced update to Win10 this morning and when it restarted to finalize the install it would not boot into windows. Instead, it crashes to BSOD after posting and gives the following error:

PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA

None of the onboard recovery tools will repair it, chkdsk doesn't show any problems, and swapping by out the hardware (RAM, GPU, etc. doesn't fit it). The one time the on-board diagnostic tools did work, they listed the NZXT CAM driver as a potential problem. Given that this was the only thing I updated prior to the windows update, I'm assuming it is the culprit.

Is there any way to boot Win10 to safe mode with device drivers off or to manually disable it via command line? For whatever reason, I cannot get the system to load the Advance Boot Options after posting. I can only bring up the bios or boot from the windows CD, which demands I load the OS to do anything other than a clean install.

Thanks.

Hardware:
Asus Z-170 Premium
EVGA GTX 1070
Corsair Vengence 3000MHz (2x8)
i7-6700K
Kraken X62

UPDATE: Both the PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA and SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED (see below) errors have been solved by installing a second drive and using it as the boot device. All files from the non-bootable volume are intact and diagnostics for the whole system check out okay. The problem appears to be directly related to the most recent CAM software/drivers from NZXT conflicting with the most recent Windows Update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Issue is closely tided to MEMORY failure and secondly to HD errors (chkdsk c: /f /r)

Circumstantial. Reboot several times to see failures/reboot_count. If you get several failures, then suspect Memory has gone bad.

Already at 20+ reboots. The only other error that has popped up was SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED.

Came up a few times but has been consistently replaced by PFINA since.

The only other error that has popped up was SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED.
This is a programming error and shows immature, non-professional development - - should NEVER occur in MS Software.

This is a programming error and shows immature, non-professional development - - should NEVER occur in MS Software.

Well, it's the only other error that's popped up. As I said in the OP, I suspect this may have something to do with the recent CAM update which came out just before the MS update. The computer worked fine after installing the new CAM software, but subsequently updating Windows has created the current situation. The one time I was able to get the restore/repair tools to work, it listed the CAM driver as needing removal.

I tried that via the tool and it failed (to remove it). Thus my looking for a workaround.

Edit: Just attempted to do a system reset (without wiping the drive) but it says the Windows install drive is locked.

Edit 2: Installed OS on another drive. RAM checks out OK (physical swap and diagnostic) and data on unbootable drive is undamaged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best and cleanest may be to introduce a fresh boot drive, then gain access to old drive and remove CAM files in the hope that you can get a revived OS (or at least ownership of all your files).

Basically what I've done at this point. Going to transfer files to the new drive and wipe the old one to get rid of the problem.

Back